My name is Desmond and I am a postgraduate student, reading a Masters in History from Goldsmiths. My undergraduate degree is in History and Politics from the same institution.
In my private lessons, after initial meetings, face to face teaching is combined with email assignment packs with associated materials.
Quick response for feedback/ any support needed regarding my sessions.
All our ratings are collected by us and are given in confidence, they correspond to a real experience.
Desmond has always, enjoyed teaching and has been assisting his little cousin, in preparation for GCSE mock exams, which has been very helpful.
Desmond is kind, considerate and very trustworthy. I would recommend Desmond as a tutor, due to his abilities to make learning fun, interesting and engaging for students.
I have been giving history lessons for two years privately, with students gaining success at G.C.S.E Level earning A-C grades, and going onto A-Levels.
I have taught at Goldsmiths, University of London as a Learning Mentor, coaching on essay structure and academic writing
Research wise, I have worked as part of my degree as an archivist with Tower Hamlets Local History Library, and am currently working on papers concerning sport and class.
49 Westcott House
• Advanced IT skills including MS Word, Office, Excel, PowerPoint, internet and email
• Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to maintain high standards under pressure this ability was key when working as tour guide in Georgian stately home as the tours were constant and the service we gave to the last group had to be as good as the service we gave to the last
• Excellent organisational and communication skills I have worked in multi-cultural environments with people with no or limited English and been able to communicate effectively with them. This has been either while working as a Tour Guide or my work on the mentoring project.
April 2012 to date Goldsmiths College Education Mentor (PAL)
• Selected from BA cohort by head of department to receive the departmental bursary to mentor less-able students whilst studying at the university
• Providing student support across the university including freshers support, library skills support and IT support
• Liaison with members of the faculty in order to advocate and advise on behalf of the students on the scheme
July- Dec 2013 Benjamin Franklin House, WC2N Tour guide/retail
• Running architectural tours of the house and helping to convey the history to visitors to the house
• Managing the retail outlet at the house in order to ensure that customer service standards are met at all times
• Liaising with members of the public visiting the museum in order to ensure that all questions are answered and that they experience the house in the best possible way
May 2012 to Aug 2012 Card group, EC1 Market Researcher
• Investigating shopping and retail behaviours in London across various sites such as Tate Modern and One New Exchange
• Gathered qualitative information in order for businesses to focus on the products that customers wanted
• Delivered qualitative surveys on a daily basis in line with set targets and client requirements
Aug 2008 – April 2012 Tolerance in Diversity, E14 Founder/steering
• Founder of a youth work charity based in London
• Liaising with schools to get them to let us come to their school
• In-house lead peer development worker, managing the young people at the charity on a daily basis
• Organised the teams to go into schools across London to deliver programmes for anti-racism and/or discrimination
• Liaised with funding bodies to access funding in order to carry out crucial activities for young people in the area
• Research on the different areas of London that had problems and identifying the work you could do in that area, a few of the subjects tackled were racism, anti-discrimination, homophobia, bullying
• Developed and ran workshops for young people
• Organised large events including the Bow Festival where I was responsible for getting people to attend such as the Territorial Army. I also liaised with the council for licences specifically for performances
• Designed outreach workshops depending on the need for the specific area
• Assisted people completing an NVQ in Youth Work buy giving them the opportunity to achieve criteria and units
June 2006 – Feb 2008 Marks & Spencer, E14 Retail Assistant
• Responsible for the ‘Per Una’ concession at the newly opened Marks and Spencer store in Canary Wharf
• Managed stock takes and merchandising.
• Worked in a team of 10 per shift, supporting each other so that both individual and team targets would be met
• Assisting customers to find the right colours, sizes and best fits for them
• Worked tills- taking cash and credit card transactions
Sept 2004 - April 2006 Lloyds shoe company, W1 Retail Assistant
• Managed a shoe concession in a flagship store of the Arcadia group.
• Extensive experience with stock taking, merchandising and deputising for section manager when required.
• Ensured that all sales targets were met in the store, and that stock renewed
• Worked tills
• Cashing up at the end of the day
September 2015- current Goldsmiths, University of London
September 2014 Goldsmiths, University of London
BA (Hons) History and Politics 2.2 (Hons)
Sept 1992 – June 1998 Blessed John Roche High School
‘A’ Level Sociology, History and English Literature. 10 GCSE’s Grades A - C
References available on request
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest geographical history lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, sociology lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£15||£15||Not available|
|5 hours||£75||£75||Not available|
|10 hours||£150||£150||Not available|