My teaching method is based around empathy, having once been in the shoes of a GCSE and A Level student I understand how difficult language learning can be. I have now spent around 10 years learning Spanish from GCSE all the way to degree level which means I have the skills to help students to excel in their language learning. I also pride myself on my calm, reassuring and approachable teaching style, meaning I have been able to form a strong bond with my previous students which has helped them to grow in confidence and achieve their aims. Additionally, my native language is English which will enable me to give clear explanations without the issue of a language barrier.
I have recently graduated from the University of Portsmouth with a First Class Honours in Spanish and Latin American Studies. I have a passion for Spanish language and culture and have previous experience working in the educational sector in countries such as Spain and Argentina. I have previous experience working as an au pair, private tutor, camp counsellor and culture and language facilitator. I have now settled in Bristol and am hoping to share my Spanish language abilities to serve as a tutor for GCSE and A Level Spanish students who need that extra help and support in order to achieving their goals.
Recent bilingual graduate with knowledge of working in a multicultural environment both in England and abroad. Experience in the teaching and customer service sectors. A conscientious worker with great communication and teamwork skills, seeking employment in Bristol.
University of Portsmouth | 2014-2018
· First class BA (Hons) Spanish and Latin American Studies with distinction in Spanish Language.
· Degree focused on Spanish language, translation theory and practice, Hispanic history and international development studies.
University of Salamanca, Spain | September 2016- January 2017
· One term studying as an ERASMUS student in the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting.
Newquay Tretherras School and 6th Form | 2006- 2013
· A Levels: Spanish (B), History (C) and Psychology (C).
· 11 GCSEs A*-C including Maths, English and Science.
CII Teach Argentina, Buenos Aires | Culture and Language Facilitator | March 2017- June 2017
· Worked as a camp counsellor in the company’s English Emersion Camps and as a culture and language facilitator at ECI School of English, Chaco.
· Main duties included setting up and delivering different activities for the children whilst maintaining an energetic and positive attitude; ensure a safe learning environment; preparing and delivering interesting and engaging English lessons to children and adults of different language levels; working in groups and individually with students to improve their pronunciation, reading and listening skills.
· Developed communication, organisation and time management skills to ensure the camps ran smoothly and also the ability to adapt to new environments and job roles quickly.
The Cod End Fish and Chip Shop, Newquay | Waitress and Counter Assistant | July 2015- September 2017
· Worked as part of a diverse team in a fast paced and busy environment to provide a high-quality service.
· Main roles included welcoming and taking customer’s orders, serving customers their food, stock checking, preparing and assembling certain dishes, maintaining a clean working environment and training new staff.
· Refined communication, teamwork, leadership and multitasking skills and the ability to delegate tasks to other members of the team.
Trenance Gardens and Leisure Park, Newquay| Crazy Golf and Pitch and Putt Attendant| June 2015- September 2015
· Worked independently, thereby being solely responsible for its smooth running throughout the day.
· Main duties involved setting up and packing away each day, serving customers and money handling.
· Became a trustworthy, punctual and reliable employee entrusted with the keys to the building and till.
Au Pair and private English tutor in Valladolid, Spain | July – August 2014
· Lived and worked with a Spanish family, whilst also working as a private English tutor.
· Main roles involved looking after the children to ensure they were safe at all times and organising games and activities to help aid their English learning in a fun and relaxed environment.
· Prepared material and delivered one-on-one tutoring to help with Bachillerato level exams (A-Level equivalent).
International Citizen Service (ICS), El Salvador | October- December 2013
· Raised £800 and volunteered with the charities Progressio and Fundación Maquilishuatl.
· Working alongside volunteers from the UK and El Salvador on projects to improve infrastructure; organised and participated in awareness campaigns on issues such as recycling and helped in the creation of a youth group to empower young people within the rural community of Santa Catarina Masahuat to become more active members of society.
· Specifically given the language role during the placement, involving interpreting and liaising between UK and Salvadoran volunteers and planning and delivering weekly Spanish and English lessons.
· Developed adaptability, communication and teamwork skills. Also developed awareness of issues effecting developing Latin American countries.
National Citizen Service (NCS), Cornwall | June 2012
· Placement involving team building activities at The Mount Batten Water Sports and Activities Centre and community projects including beach clean ups in Newquay and volunteering at the Electric Beach Festival.
· Developed confidence and skills such as communication and teamwork.
Languages and Additional Achievements:
· Spanish CEFR Grade C1/ C2 (Proficient user)
· Portuguese CEFR Grade A2 (Basic user)
· Modern Languages Award, Newquay Tretherras 6th Form | 2013
· Spanish Studies Ambassador, Newquay Tretherras 6th Form | January 2013- Present
· Holocaust Educational Trust Ambassador | March 2012- Present
· Competent user of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Aegisub Subtitling Software and Wordfast Anywhere Translation Tool.
Interests and Activities:
· Member of the University of Portsmouth Tchoukball Club | 2015-2018
· Member of Ground Swell Women’s Surf Club | 2011- 2013
· Enjoy baking, reading, travelling and learning about different cultures and languages.
spanish lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|