I'm a passionate performing arts educator and all my sessions are tailored to the specific needs of the individual. I've been preparing students for drama school entrance for several years with previous pupils accepting places at Performance Preparation Academy, Mountview, Urdang and Drama Centre London.
I am currently working with a large range of students; supporting their GCSE's, A Levels, and Undergraduate performance studies.
I am also offering LAMDA sessions to all age ranges..
All classes are available 1 hour, 1.5 and 2 hour sessions.
Lessons available at my home practice room, your home or online.
I have a first class honours degree in Theatre from Brunel University London and hold a diploma from the London College of Music in Vocal Performance. I continue to build my professional portfolio as an actor/director; alongside other ventures as a producer, voiceover artist, and musician.
I am an experienced artistic/creative director having founded a number of ventures for students and young professionals. Most recently I began work on a new theatre and creative arts company specialising in early-career opportunities.
- First Class Honors Degree in Theatre | Brunel University London
- Diploma in Voice Performance | London College of Music | UWL
- Equity Member
- DBS Certified
NOTABLE EXPERIENCE / ACHIEVEMENTS
- Founder/Artistic Director | Studio Brunel
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Director/Producer Nov 2019), The Importance of Being Earnest (Producer [ + Algernon] Sep 2019), The Ghost We Live With (Producer Mar 2019), Medea (Producer Feb 2019), NSFW (Director/Producer Nov 2018 ]
- Presenter | An Evening with Greg Davies and Lee Mack (2019): interviewing the acclaimed comedians
- Workshop facilitation with previous positions with NMPAT, PQA, Akeley Wood and Sponne School.
- Worked on community and educational theatre projects: with Voices Across Time in primary schools and dementia care homes assessing music as stimulus; as a freelancer provide NHS Training Simulations and voiced Helpline Partnership projects
- Experienced live musician for an established electro-acoustic duo, dep keyboardist for The SKAlectrics and others, performing in a range of venues and capacities...
- Recipient of the Vice Chancellor's Award for Students - Brunel University London (2020)
- Performed at Wembley Arena (2014/15), Shepperton Studies, Manchester Arena, Southbank Centre with Voice in a Million, singing solo and as part of a featured ensemble working with Allan Rogers (Strictly Tour, MD), Matt Cardle and Alisha Dixon
James Barlow tutored my daughter for her GCSEs in mainly drama, music and English and gave her the most amazing ideas, suggestions and ‘different’’ ways to approach things. He imbued her with enormous confidence to go ahead and try, and above all she thoroughly enjoyed the sessions she had with James. It started with online sessions due to lockdown and these worked excellently. When allowed these moved to face-to-face. James encouraged her to work on certain aspects and then checked back in to ensure she had understood and had executed his suggestions. He also helped her with her maths and science and was extremely successful in giving her tools and suggestions to complete tasks set. I would highly recommend James Barlow as a tutor - his youth, and experience of the current school curriculum enables him to tap into your youngster’s ideals and concerns and he works very much ‘with’ them so they can achieve their goals. He also listens to the requirements of the adult/parent and is exceptional at understanding what is required of him. His feedback is outstanding. I highly recommend James Barlow as a tutor for young people. Also he’s really personable and very easy to get along with.
James is an excellent teacher. He is very well educated and knows almost everything there is to know about acting techniques - from melodrama to naturalism. He is also a great communicator. 100% recommended!
I have worked with James for several years and his support has been invaluable. He is a patient communicator and excellent tutor- without his help I would certainly not have achieved my academic or creative potential. Can't recommend enough.
James recently tutored me for an audition and was fantastic. The range of exercises he used were extremely engaging and aided my understanding of the chosen text as well as my performance of it. Working with James was a massive confidence boost as he was very responsive to what I wanted to gain from the experience, and his personal, tailored approach is the reason I would recommend him to anyone looking for an acting tutor.
acting lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest drama school entrance lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musical theatre lessons for all!
Taking lamda exams preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|