As an experienced Chemistry teacher and tutor, I use a variety of teaching techniques to appeal to every type of learner.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Chemistry.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a degree in Chemistry from Glasgow University, a Ph.D from Heriot-Watt University and a PGDE in Chemistry Teaching from Strathclyde University (Jordanhill).
- How much do you charge?
one-to-one: £30/ hour
Study days: £60/ day
Group lessons: £15/ hour
- Where do you teach?
I teach at my home in Linlithgow. Online tutoring is also a popular alternative.
- When are you available?
I am currently available for online tuition.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
All levels up to University
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I teach all levels, up to University level.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I use skype with a flip chart to teach online. Pupils tell me that the quality is 'like watching a TV screen', due to the fact that I have a high spec webcam and USB microphone. Of course, the overall experience is also dependent on your broadband connection, but this can be easily tested in a trial session. Please see my website to watch a video stream showing how my online tutoring works.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Every child learns differently. Some love learning from books, some love getting stuck in to experiments, and some prefer to learn from another person. School is not always a great environment for learning due to various distractions (I am a school teacher...I know); however, a tutor can build on and improve the child's learning through targeted lessons. Most children benefit from one to one tuition, as a knowledgeable teacher gets to know their weaknesses and strengths and teaches accordingly.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have been teaching in schools since 2005, and tutoring since 2006.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, I had a successful application in 2015.
- Where and with whom did you train?
I trained as a teacher at Jordanhill, Stratchclyde University.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am registered with GTCS, and am a member of the teaching union, EIS.
• BSc (hons) Chemistry, Ph.D Chemistry
• Enhanced CRB
• GTCS, EIS
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|