An experienced and professional academic tutor with an extensive background in the Cambridge ESOL exams (IELTS, FCE, CAE, CPE). I have an excellent record of helping people reach their language goals.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
English language for all the major Cambridge ESOL examinations, focusing on error correction, grammar accuracy and range, pronunciation, writing, reading speed and using vocabulary accurately and more confidently! if you need help with these then let me show you that you can pass these tests.
- PET (Preliminary English Test)
- FCE (First Certificate in English)
- CAE (Certificate in Advanced English)
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- BEC - Preliminary, Vantage, Higher (Business English Certificate)
- General English (EFL/ESL) for students wishing to improve areas such as pronunciation to writing.
- UCAS application statements
- Personal statements for Master and PhD admissions, along with scholarship applications
- Interview skills
- EAP (English for Academic Purposes) - Report writing, note taking skills (lecture), reading and research techniques, presentation skills.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BA Hons (1st *) Architectural Design and Management.
- CELTA / DELTA
- PTLLS / DTLLS
- How much do you charge?
**What will happen**
Before any classes happen, the first thing for me to do is understand your goals, your strengths, your weaknesses and any deadlines you have – I do this to make sure the help given is effective and efficient. Then:
1st – you'll be sent some practice material a few days before we meet – based on the needs you have.
2nd – we'll meet for a 90-minute review lesson with is completely FREE, and it's a chance to ask questions, and feel if I'm the right teacher for you. This can happen face-to-face, or online – the choice is yours.
3rd – discuss your strengths and weaknesses, detail exactly where you need help.
4th – develop a programme that we can use, and also one that you can do by yourself.
- you'll learn about your strengths and weaknesses
- develop a study plan for you
- give advice about study habits in between classes
It's also a good time to ask me any questions you have (hopefully many!) and also decide if I'm the right teacher for you. There's never any pressure to continue I'm very happy to give you any advice you need to keep you on track and self-study.
If you'd like to study one-to-one, then there are two options:
1) Weekly (good for those who have a changing schedule):
- £17.50/hour for general English classes.
- £22.50/hour for Cambridge ESOL subjects such as IELTS, FCE, CAE and CPE.
- book a â€œblockâ€ of 10 lessons = 5% discount
- book a â€œblockâ€ of 15 lessons = 7.5% discount
- book a â€œblockâ€ of 20(+) lessons = 10% discount
If you'd like to study with a friend (good for speaking practice!), or as a group, (up to 6 people), then these are the prices:
- Exam English: £15.00/hour for each person
- General English: £10.00/hour for each person
Material for the class will either come from a range of up-to-date and appropriate books/sources that will be chosen specifically for you. Usually a class will use up to 6 or more books to make sure you get the right information. Or, information will be written specifically for you based on your strengths and weaknesses.
All material is included in the price, along with any audio or answer keys that are needed. All answer keys (for things such as reading/listening) will be fully explained for you to self-study away from the classroom. Also, unlike many other teachers, when the class finishes, you'll still receive support from me if you have any questions about the class material, or other language problems you experience in day-to-day life.
- Classes can happen at a comfortable and appropriate study location in Cambridge
- I can travel to your place if that would be more convenient for you, however be aware that this will incur an additional cost - price depending on where you are how often you'd like those classes, and if there's parking available for me.
- Online, if you wish – I've spent over 7 years developing systems and methods to teach **any** skill online in exactly the same way as you would have a class face-to-face. This includes writing!
- Where do you teach?
If you live within the Cambridge area (CB1 to CB25) then I can travel to your home, however, there are a number of warm, safe and convenient locations within Cambridge city centre that are also popular with my current students. Think about where's best for you to study, and where you feel most comfortable without too many distractions!
I can offer spaces within the Cambridge university colleges for larger classes: these can be organised for business lessons, private examination language classes, or anything else you may have in mind.
If you're not sure - then please contact me and we'll discuss the best way of organising a place to teach that's convenient and comfortable.
- When are you available?
The same is true for either face to face, or online sessions, or a mixture of both!
Monday to Friday : 0900 ~ 1830
Saturday : 1000~1300
Sunday : Sleep, relax, and enjoy your day (please!)
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
From 14 years old upwards
All levels of the CEFR:
- from A1 : Basic user
- to C2 : Proficient user
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
If you're looking to enter the UK education system then:
- Postgraduate entrance requirements : Masters // PhD : such as IELTS, LNAT, UKCAT
Other formal certification types such as: FCE, CAE, CPE
If you're an experienced medical professional in your own country, but looking to work here in the UK:
- As part of qualifying for the NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council)
- As part of qualifying for the GMC (General Medical Council)
- As part of qualifying for the GDC (General Dental Council)
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
If you'd like to study online then this can be arranged too.These lessons are professionally designed, tested, and certified in Cambridge – identical to meeting in a classroom, but from the comfort of your own home. There is no special software or knowledge needed, as we'll be using:
- Skype – for voice and video
- Dropbox – to send/receive homework and practice material
- Electronic online whiteboard – our â€œclassroomâ€ – to practise reading, writing, speaking, listening, and every other part of the English language
All of this is demonstrated to the student(s) in a *free* language review class.
â€¦want to try? I'll be happy to organise a FREE demonstration lesson so you can see for yourself how this works, and how it can help you. These classes can be for 1 person, or up to 6. You can be in the same place, or in different places.
Already, classes are being successfully delivered to students in Russia, Poland, Spain, France, Hungary, Japan, China, Taiwan, S.Korea. My clients range from individuals to businesses, and even governments. The classes are identical to those face-to-face, but with the difference that they're in your own home. A free demonstration can be given so that you can see if it's what you'd like to try. Just ask!
- The resources needed for IELTS, FCE, CPE, and CAE classes will be sent to you at least 48 hours in advance for you to prepare, this will include any audio or video material that is relevant to the class. The same is true of other lessons when necessary.
- If the class needs to be cancelled, notice must be given at least 2 hours in advance.
- If there are clear technical problems then don't worry - the class can be rescheduled once these have been resolved. Online classes are arranged here using a very high quality fibre-optic connection to ensure there are no problems with communication or teaching.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Whether you want to study IELTS for entrance into university, or if you'd like something to show for all your hard work such as a certificate for FCE, CAE or CPE, then it's important to choose the right teacher for you. From being inspired by great and sincere teachers myself, I can understand the challenge from the student's point of view, and because of this, I have never let a student down or failed to give an answer which will help.
Although your goal may be very serious and important for the next step of your career or studies, I will make sure you succeed. Helping you to feel relaxed and enjoy the classes, helping you to feel you are making progress and giving you that confidence to listen, read, write and speak with greater accuracy and less pressure - no matter what you want, I will offer professional, accurate and honest advice to get you there.
It's not just about passing an exam, but also more importantly, it's about helping you to help yourself so that you don't have to rely on teachers all the time. This is where the confidence begins and you can make English a part of you, and your life here.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I'm a mature, highly-qualified and respected language teacher with over 17 years of experience, helping beginners to specialized professionals improve their language and overcome the difficulties that they face using English – both for the Cambridge ESOL exams, and for general English. I will help you understand what the examiners are looking for in any of these English tests, but more importantly, I'll make you a better, more confident, and relaxed user of English.
My background includes:
- Director of Examinations - BTCO Asia – (Japan, Taiwan, China)
- Director of Studies – ECCL Academic School – Taiwan
- Head Teacher – GEOS Language Academy – Asia (Japan/China/Taiwan)
- Course Director – St. Andrew's College – Cambridge (UK)
â€¦and, along with this, I currently:
- Pretest and review Cambridge ESOL examination papers (Cambridge Assessment Ltd.)
- Participate in the 20/80 Language Review Panel – PhD and Master Level -Oxbridge (UK)
- Contribute and develop material for Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, and Macmillan Publishers
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
I have an up-to-date DBS and can be asked for if needed.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Right now I'm involved in a wide range of classes:
- A large majority of my students are getting ready for the IELTS exam for either an undergraduate or postgraduate course and these students come from all over the world, including Poland, Russia, Italy, Indonesia, Jordan, and China. What's more important is that some of these classes are held online and still work very effectively in teaching all parts of the English language.
- FCE and CAE classes - focused on students who want to enter university this September and also prepare for work in areas such as governments and NGOs. Some of these students are from places such as Slovakia, The Czech Republic, China, Japan, Italy and Spain.
- I'm working with Cambridge PhD students and helping them developing a much more precise vocabulary range, complex grammatical structures and also improving their presentation techniques for their final exams.
- Pronunciation classes with students from Nigeria, Slovakia, Bulgaria, and S.Korea. Some of those I help work with media corporations such as the BBC and are looking to alter the way they speak in public situations and in broadcasts.
- Proofreading services for some European Universities such as the University of Seville, Florence, Paris and Berlin.
• BA Hons 1st Class Degree
• CELTA + DELTA
• Valid DBS
IELTS : L = 7.5 / Rd = 7.5 / Wr = 7.5 / Sp = 7.0
Finally I can start my Masters and I never thought an online class would be so effective. I really appreciated all the notes you had sent me and I was able to review these before the exam. You were always honest with me and I realised how important it was to re-write my work, which helped to make me more confident and faster. They were fun classes and I felt like a person and not just a students. Great!
Good morning Andi, I hope you're doing well. Just to let you know that test results are in, and I got the following:
Listening : 7.5
Reading : 7.5
Writing : 7.5
Speaking : 8.0
Thank you so much for giving me the confidence to speak English! When I came to the UK I knew I needed to pass the FCE exam for a job, but now I have, I've managed to find a great job here and life is much better. Thank you again! I can feel that Cambridge is my home now -FCE: Grade 'A
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest business english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, IELTS lessons for all!
Taking TOEFL lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|