I am happy to teach up to A level including different areas of maths (including computer programming - particularly MATLAB of RStudio). I would be happy to be led by the student as to the method of teaching they prefer.
I am a recent postgraduate having achieved a distinction in my Applied Mathematics MSc from Imperial College London and a First Class BSc in Mathematics from Newcastle University. I am currently tutoring at primary school level but would look forward to also teaching at a higher level.
MSc Applied Mathematics / Imperial College London SEPT 2016 – SEPT 2018
(Personal intermission Jan 2017 – Jan 2018 due to a family illness)
Computational Partial Differential Equations (PDEs), Mathematical Biology, Asymptotic Analysis, Special Relativity & Electromagnetism, Hydrodynamic Stability, PDEs, Vortex Dynamics and Fluid Dynamics.
‘An investigation into the linear stability of annular Couette-Poiseuille flow with a compliant inner cylinder’
- Relied on both extensive MATLAB programming skills and key concepts from several of the above modules.
- Submitted a 20,000 word report and performed a 30-minute presentation to a handful of experts in the field alongside fellow students.
- Received 87% in the written report and 90% in the oral presentation.
BSc Mathematics (Hons) / Newcastle University SEPT 2013 – JULY 2016
First Class (Grade Average: 78.8%)
Numerical and Computational Modelling (MATLAB & Fortran), Complex Variable (obtaining 92%), Fluids, Statistical Modelling and Inference, Number Theory & Cryptography and Foundations of Probability.
Computer Programming Skills:
- Proficient in a range of computing languages such as MATLAB, Fortran, RStudio and Maple.
- Completed a 6-week summer project requiring coding in RStudio to handle large amounts of data.
- Achieved 100% in a report on Numerical Solutions to ODEs using MATLAB.
Other Skills and Achievements:
- Placed in the top 10% of the class each year.
- Delivered short lectures to over 150 students on topics such as statistical inference and empirical significance tests.
A Levels / Esher College SEPT 2011 – JULY 2013
A Levels: Mathematics A*, Psychology A*, Economics B | AS Levels: Further Mathematics A, Sociology A
GCSEs / Waldegrave School SEPT 2006 – JUNE 2011
12 GCSEs A* - A
Deputy Head Girl:
- Delivered multiple speeches to a diverse range of audiences at the age of 15 which developed my confidence and presentation skills.
- Successfully organised the school prom using creative ideas and negotiating deals to work within a budget.
- Operated as an ambassador for the students, taking on board their concerns and suggestions to implement improvements.
Front of House / Antipodea SEPT – DEC 2017
- Waitress at an Australian Brasserie in West London as a member of a team that delivered and maintained high levels of customer satisfaction.
Leave of Absence JUNE 2016 – JUNE 2017
- Caregiver for a terminally ill family member.
Social Secretary of MathSoc / Newcastle University SEPT 2015 - JUNE 2016
- Successfully pitched a manifesto to the mathematics society alongside a peer to be elected as the Social Secretaries.
- Organised, promoted and ran a weekly social event which required great time-management while studying for my final year of my bachelor’s degree.
- Directed two formal balls over the academic year, catering for 300+ guests in total, alongside arranging an Easter trip away to Budapest.
- Contributed to the society becoming the biggest non-sporting society at the University, with over 350 members.
- Awarded runners up in the National Society Awards 2016 for ‘Commitment to Participation’ and runners up for the ‘Best Society’ at Newcastle University Society Awards 2016.
Vacation Scholarship / Newcastle University JULY – AUG 2015
- Awarded a summer scholarship to work in collaboration with Dr. Fawcett on a project investigating statistical inference for environmental extremes.
- Used Extreme Value Theory to estimate the height of sea walls that could protect New Orleans from a repeat of devastation after Hurricane Katrina.
- Performed extensive programming in RStudio from which I accurately conveyed my findings in a 10,000-word report.
Mentor / Newcastle University SEPT 2014 – JUNE 2016
- Volunteered over 2014-2016 for the School of Mathematics, helping new students settle down at university.
- Supported students both through emails and in person, offering guidance for a variety of problems including careers advice, course support and any other general concerns.
- Also engaged in the Partners scheme at the university. This consisted of helping prospective students, who were given an alternative entry route into Newcastle University, with their UCAS application process.
Sales Assistant / The Shoe Station SEPT 2012 – SEPT 2013
- Part-time sales assistant at a small independent shoe shop in West London taking on responsibilities such as stock taking and dealing with customer complaints independently.
Shop Assistant / Waitrose SEPT 2011 – SEPT 2012
- Part-time shop assistant maintaining high standards of customer service for a well-respected company.
INTERESTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Attending a Spanish course for beginners.
- Currently in the application process to become a volunteer at the Princess Alice Hospice working as a member of the fundraising team.
- Training to run the London Landmarks Half-Marathon in March 2019 for Bowel Cancer UK.
- Completed the Shine Night Half-Marathon Walk across London in September 2017 alongside family members in aid of Bowel Cancer UK, raising over £2800 in total.
- Acquired the Duke of Edinburgh (Bronze) Award in 2010.
Perfect! Polly was fantastically helpful and a delight to work with. She was really good at explaining things and super efficient and on-hand when needed. She was also very good about setting out the structure of her tutorials and made everything very clear and transparent. I couldn't recommend her more highly!
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|