Looking to pass the FCE, CAE or CPE exam, or maybe you've tried the same already but had problems in the Speaking, or writing task 1 or 2. Perhaps you've already sat the exam once or twice and received the same score a few times despite all the hard work you've put it.
These parts of the test can seem confusing and when we look for help online there are so many videos and websites saying different things about how to get better scores.
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, or even, “maybe”, then with my experience, understanding, and guidance, I will ensure that you achieve the score you need, or the level you want to get to.
So, what will happen?
1st – you’ll be sent some practice material a few days before we meet – based on the needs you have.
2nd – we’ll meet for a 60-minute review lesson with is completely FREE, and it’s a chance to ask questions, and feel if I’m the right teacher for you.
3rd – discuss your strengths and weaknesses, detail exactly where you need help.
4th – develop a programme that we can use, and also one that you can do by yourself.
I’m a mature, widely-qualified and professional language teacher with over 19 years of experience, helping beginners to specialized professionals improve their language and overcome the difficulties that they face using English – both for the Cambridge ESOL exams, and for general English.
I'm a teacher that's trained in identifying problems specific to the way yours English and adapt the lessons to turn those weaknesses into strengths! I take each of the skills needed in the exam, look at how the skill works, why it's important, start with simpler examples before working up to exam level examples.
Through this step by step approach, we work together to build up your confidence for not only the exam, but also for a life afterwards using English more naturally day to day. I will never rush you through any of the skills and only move onto the next part of the practice. Your pace matters as I'd like you to enjoy the classes, and not just learn from them.
A lot of the students I help are looking to prepare themselves for:
> university entrance (from undergraduate all the way through to PhD)
> migrating (either from or to the UK)
> a professional qualification or employment position such as in healthcare (as a nurse, doctor or midwife) and need to satisfy NMC or GMC requirements.
How I can help you.
The classes can be 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 hours long. You can have these classes one-to-one, or choose to study with a group of friends (and save a little £). In each one we will have:
> a homework review section
.....going through each of the assigned tasks, identifying problems and providing you material to deal with those issues.
> an input section
.....where we go through a new task, explaining each step, why it’s important, and the skills you’ll need.
> a student-led section
....here you will show what you understanding. Don’t worry – I’ll be there to guide you! It's a great time to ask questions about steps you're not clear about.
.....focused specifically on the material introduced in the class.
Material for the class will either come from a range of up-to-date and appropriate books/sources that will be chosen specifically for you. Or, examples will be created specifically for you based on the class’s contents.
All material is included in the price, along with any audio or answer keys that are needed. All answer keys (for things such as reading/listening) will be fully explained for you to self-study away from the classroom. Every model answer we will go through is fully explained so that you can use similar techniques, language and structures in your own writing.
I'd also like to say that you're not just my student during class hours - if there's something you'd like to ask, then you can do so at anytime!
> Over the 20 years of teaching, I’ve helped students from all over the world and will be able to understand the specific problems you have.
> I have a very high success rate and many references if you'd like to check. One of the reasons for this is understanding specifically your strengths and weaknesses – then designing material specifically focused where it is needed. More importantly in the classroom session, I focus on helping you relax so that you produce more natural English.
My background includes:
- Director of Examinations - BTCO/IDP Asia – (Japan, Taiwan, China)
- Director of Studies – ECCL Academic School – Taiwan
- Head Teacher – GEOS Language Academy – Asia (Japan/China/Taiwan)
- Course Director – St. Andrew's College – Cambridge (UK)
…and for the last 6 years I’ve been running a school that specialises on IELTS, FCE, CAE, CPE – along with more specialised exams such as OET, LNAT, UKCAT. We deliver content in classrooms here in Cambridge and all over the world.
If you want to know more about me and how I teach, then “actions speak louder than words”! I have a YouTube channel that has a life-time "thumbs up" rating of 97.3% for that demonstrates how I teach, how I break down a task into the skills needed, and how you can use those skills to improve your English.
I’ve helped candidates from over 20 countries, including the UK, America, Kuala Lumpur, Poland, France, Spain, Pakistan, Indonesia, Japan, China, Taiwan, India, Portugal, Russia. Throughout some of the classes, the students who became friends, also taught me a little of their language!
The cost per hour is £20, and a typical class (either online or face to face) will last either 1.5 or 2.0 hours. During that time we will:
> run through previous homework
> identify mistakes
> provide practice material focused on those problematic areas
> introduce new skill area(s) OR develop existing skill area(s)
Blocks of classes are available as follows:
> 10~14 classes: 5.0% discount
> 15~19 classes: 7.5% discount
> 20(+) classes: 10% discount
> DELTA qualification
> CELTA qualification
> PTLLS qualification
> related career history
> January ’13 - Present
Cambridge EAP Ltd - Academic and examination language training
• Developing, introducing and delivering specialised material (for both students and teacher training) related to business, ESP, EFL and EAP, and examinations produced by Cambridge Assessment, the CBLA, the Graduate Management Admission Council and the Education Testing Service.
• To evaluate and provide strategic direction in the company systems.
• Assess teaching methods, hire and evaluate staff, and provide CPD
programmes in line with current examination, EAP and ESP teaching
methods with particular focus on blended learning.
• Revise company policy and procedures, administer monthly and yearly
budgets, and oversee all financial operations along with conforming to respective business practices.
> July ’12 - August ’12
Select English Language School (Cambridge, UK)
Position: Course Director - residential course
• Curriculum design, revision and on-going development of the tutor team, ensuring course conformity to school standards.
• Ensuring the effective delivery of the EFL course concerned, ensuring that the teaching team are properly briefed, liaising with the school DoS and visiting guests.
• Managing teachers and observing performance in-class, providing feedback as necessary.
• Ensuring that all on-site operations, accommodation and catering are run to budget and that social activities are appropriately run, including H&S assessments and pre/post-activity feedback.
> September ’11 - July ’12
St. Andrew’s College (Cambridge, UK)
Position: IELTS/EAP teacher
• Organising the IELTS/EAP syllabus for Foundation, AS and A2 level programmes, and providing feedback to the DoS to ensure successful delivery.
• Liaising with counterparts to ensure that all parts of the course were given equal weighting in terms of delivery.
• Design/implementation of teaching material in response to students’ education and cultural background.
> March ’11 - September ’11
Select English Language School (Cambridge, UK)
Position: EFL Teacher/Course Director for non-residential IELTS courses
Roles / Responsibilities:
• Teaching closed and open monolingual FCE/CAE classes, including interim and final testing.
• Liaising with other staff members to ensure that all aspects of the syllabus are covered.
• Managing the teaching team to deliver appropriately structured IELTS classes.
• Ensuring the students adhere to the school code of conduct.
• Coordinating with the head office DoS to ensure that the course conforms
with school standards.
• Provide facilities and resources for the teaching team and ensure they are
kept up to date.
• Organising placement tests for students upon arrival, and the placing of
students in appropriate levelled classes according to the CEFR.
• Administer and account for all petty cash and funds given to staff for social
• Allocating teachers to classes, measuring punctuality and in-class
performance through observations.
• Dealing with student accommodation issues and liaising with the welfare
office as necessary.
> April ’06 - August ’10
English Learning Language Centre - Asian region : Zhongshao Dunhua (Taipei, Taiwan)
Position: Director of Studies (IELTS)
• Developing school resources and stage syllabi in accordance with the CEFR.
• Planning the academic timetable in response to anticipated course demand.
• Monitoring and controlling the quality of the teaching programme (inc. lesson plans and schemes of work).
• Ensuring that the examination programme is managed in accordance with the BC and IDP examination rubrics.
• Line-managing through providing support and personal development to the teaching team, (inc. conducting weekly training sessions).
• Representing the teaching and administrative departments at local and governmental levels, ensuring conformity in terms of financial operations, spending, resource allocation, and staff resident visa status.
> September ’01 - April ’06
GEOS Language Academy : San Min (Taichung, Taiwan) / Tien Mu (Taipei, Taiwan)
Position: Head Foreign Teacher
• Formulating overall aims and objectives for the school and policies to facilitate their implementation.
• Working with Japanese senior staff to deploy staff and teaching programmes effectively.
• Ensuring the appropriate safeguarding and motivating of pupils
• Ensuring an infrastructure is in place for staff and pupils to register their
opinions and provide a route for the communication of problems to senior
• Designing and implementation of course material for classes of all levels.
Perfect! Andrew is an excellent tutor who has the ability to explain complicated concepts in a fairly simple way. I have just received my IELTS results: Overall Band 7
IELTS : L = 7.5 / Rd = 7.5 / Wr = 7.5 / Sp = 7.0
Finally I can start my Masters and I never thought an online class would be so effective. I really appreciated all the notes you had sent me and I was able to review these before the exam. You were always honest with me and I realised how important it was to re-write my work, which helped to make me more confident and faster. They were fun classes and I felt like a person and not just a students. Great!
Good morning Andi, I hope you're doing well. Just to let you know that test results are in, and I got the following:
Listening : 7.5
Reading : 7.5
Writing : 7.5
Speaking : 8.0
Thank you so much for giving me the confidence to speak English! When I came to the UK I knew I needed to pass the FCE exam for a job, but now I have, I've managed to find a great job here and life is much better. Thank you again! I can feel that Cambridge is my home now -FCE: Grade 'A
I felt that I had improved remarkably in the first term, not only for writing and speaking, but also for reading. Knowing the structure and the logic of writing articles helps me comprehending, and maybe that is why I can get an 8 for that part of my IELTS. What I have learned from you is more than academic English; you also gave us some positive attitude towards our masters and perusing knowledge.
I guess I never regret continuing. Thank you for everything!
My experience was fantastic! He had very useful and material so to follow and reviewing at home on my own was always possible and very clear. Dynamic and enjoyable lessons, always having many things to cheer me up! It is clear Andi is a very qualified teacher with experience and because of this all his advice was always helpful and useful: helping to improve my skills and confidence. He is a very kind and reliable person and always available to help. For all those reasons, I highly recommend Andi.
Merry Christmas Andi, I've got my results last Friday and I'm so happy about it. My scores are L-6.5, R-7.0, W-7.0, S-8.0... I am thankful before of my writing result as this will give me an opportunity to register for my nursing course in the UK. Thank you so much!
What I really want to tell you is that you are a wonderful person, Andi!! You are interesting, charming, energetic, and optimistic!! I learned a lot from you, about IELTS as well as about life. This summer was one of the most worthy summertimes I have ever had--to get to know a group of excellent and kind-hearted people. I was very happy this summer knowing I can finally go to university. Thank you, Andi - IELTS 8.0
IÂ´m 25 years old and spent six months in Cambridge working and studying. I very much Andi as a teacher for anyone who wants to improve their English as the experience I had with him was very satisfying. He doesn't sit down in front of the book and let you do exercises while watching, instead he focused on my weaknesses making all the difference when I took my exams. I think he is perfect for preparing the Cambridge ESOL exams as he knows each part of CAE and will you help to obtain the score you need.
I travelled from Taiwan to Cambridge to join Andi's short master IELTS course (for six weeks). My score in Writing was too low (5.5) and it was my last chance to raise it to 6.5 so that I could study in the UK this year in London.
With his help, I was able to succeed and also felt much more confident with English - both in writing and speaking. If anyone has any doubt about his style of teaching, they shouldn't worry. Andi really helped me with my future!
I got my results online and i passed with overall score 8.5:
9 at reading
8.5 at listening
7.5 at writing
8 at speaking
I am waiting also the official test report to arrive, but I guess that's the final results, right? If so, i am really happy that i passed and thank you a lot for the valuable advices!!! It was such a positive surprise to pass! Next step... Masters!
IELTS lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|