Hi, I'm Beatrice. I'm a professional freelance musician based in Cardiff having recently been appointed cellist of the Mavron String Quartet. I have a wide range of experience and teaching knowledge - available for private tuition.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach cello and music theory.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a first class BMus degree from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama and a Master of Arts degree in cello performance from the Royal Academy of Music, London.
- How much do you charge?
I charge £30 per hour, £25 for 45 mins and £20 for 30 mins. I usually recommend lessons of 30 mins minimum.
I can come to you if that's easier - depending on location, that may affect the price.
Student/group discounts are also available.
- Where do you teach?
I have a space to teach - a large music room with plenty of space - based near Roath Park.
If this doesn't work, I can come to you. Areas I will travel to: Roath, Heath, Llanishen, Llandaff, Canton, Grangetown, Cardiff Bay, Penarth, Cathays, Cyncoed, Ely, Whitchurch and all other surrounding areas.
- When are you available?
As a freelance musician my timetable can be quite flexible. I currently have available slots on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday evenings. Or Tuesday/Wednesday during the daytime. The best thing is to discuss what's best for both of us and see if that works from there!
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach from aged 5 upwards. There are no limits as to what age a person can start, or if you wish to pick up the cello again after a long break.
I teach from beginner standard right up to college level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
If my students would like to take exams, I'll help prepare for these. I usually do the ABRSM exam board.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I can teach online - via Skype/Facetime or other methods.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I have an active approach to teaching, and I try to manage every angle of cello playing - the technical difficulties and the musicality in a fresh way, using images and analogies to create an all rounded musician. I try to inspire my students the best I can so that everyone can appreciate music as an art. I think it's important to understand that every musician is different and we all learn in different ways and I try to adapt my teaching to suit the individual so to better connect with them. Having been through the primary learning system and grades myself I know what the demands are.
I have knowledge of the graded repertoire as well as teaching methods for beginners, and I would be able to assess students based on their own personal progress and development.
Music is a form of entertainment! I ensure we always have fun but I expect hard work and practice in return.
I believe none of us stop learning.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- RWCMD Junior department deputy tutor teaching all ages from 4-18 and running performance classes. This also includes regular chamber music coaching.
- I currently teach for Gwent Music service - 3 schools in Newport.
-Assistant to Kathryn Price at 'Curso Internacional Musica de Matisse' - San Lorenzo de el Escorial, Spain. This involves teaching and coaching all ages, abilities and nationalities.
- Outreach tour to Belfast with the Beaman quartet, and other outreach projects with RWCMD.
- Live Music Now! Scheme with the Laurent String Quartet, and a cello and harp duo, performing to those who don't have easy access to live music.
- On the CAVATINA award scheme with the Mavron Quartet, running educational workshops to secondary school children.
- On the London Music Centre Scheme, for private students around the London area. Teaching cello and violin to children, some of which were part of high profile families.
- Private students in the Cardiff area and one still in London on a monthly basis.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, I have an online DBS certificate.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I'm a member of the Musicians Union.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|