I've been a marketing professional for over 20yrs, having worked for companies such as Microsoft, eBay and Capital Radio. The experience I bring to the table has been forged in the real business world so that we can work together to turn theory into useful and practical learning.
I teach in a collaborative style, helping you to find the answers you need rather than just telling you.
I teach all aspects of marketing from GCSE to MA.
Look forward to hearing from you.
I have been involved in group training as well as 1-2-1 coaching for around 5yrs. Group training has involved subjects such as:
- Digital Strategy
- Social Media
- Marketing Strategy
1-2-1 coaching has been on specific business issues such as:
- Developing brand propositions
- Team management
- Social media
1995 Diploma in Marketing (Dip M), Chartered Institute of Marketing
1991-1995 University of Huddersfield, - BA (Hons) Marketing 2:2
1984 – 1991 Secondary education – 9 GCSE’s grade C or above. 3 ‘A’ Levels: Business Studies, French and Biology
Apr 15 - Present Independent Strategy and Marketing Consultant
Acting CMO for digital start-up LocoSoco – Supporting business to IPO and 1st stage funding
Additional projects undertaken include: Content creation, social media, RFP’s & ‘Pitch Doctor’ lead generation, brand strategy, training and whitepaper research.
Sectors: B2B, Publishing, Health, FinTec, IT Solutions, Retail
Jun 12 – Apr 15 Strategy Director – The River Group
The River Group is a top 10 content agency that represents globally recognised brands such as BBC Worldwide, Weight Watchers, Holland & Barrett, Monarch Airlines, Co-Op, and Superdrug.
Acting as an internal and experienced strategic B2B/B2C marketing partner my overall responsibilities include the strategic development of existing business accounts, new business pitches, thought leadership and the ongoing digital transformation of the business.
Achievements to date include:
• Exceeding current growth targets and contribution to a 20% growth in billings over 2012/13
• A four place shift, no.10 to no.6 in the content publishing agency rankings.
• New business account wins Monarch Airlines, NBTY, World First, VisitBritain and GNC
• Supporting digital transformation of River through service design, skills and training
• Development of new brand positioning and marketing communications
• Whitepapers – ‘The journey from Print to Digital’, ‘Future of Health & Wellness’ ‘Not on the high street’ and regular thought leadership contribution
• Author of ‘Contentology’ a monthly client facing newsletter
Specific projects for clients include
• Customer journey mapping, content audit and content strategy projects for Weight Watchers International, McCarthy & Stone, The Co-operative Food and Holland & Barrett
• Brand positioning and proposition development for McCarthy & Stone, and Superdrug
• International Health & Wellness trends paper for Weight Watchers, and Holland & Barrett
Dec 10 – present Managing Consultant – Fresh and Frank Consulting
Fresh and Frank is a boutique consultancy providing businesses with highly experienced thinkers and strategic guidance to solve their business issues. Based around a network of senior individuals from a number of disciplines we offer a broad range of services including:
- Business development strategy
- Digital Marketing
- Marketing Communications
- Social Media
Glam Media – ‘Beliefs with Teeth’ Management Strategy Facilitation and sales team training
eMarketeers – Digital Strategy Training for companies including; Slendertone, Travelport and UCAS
Ark Publishing – Our first book ‘Social Media Marketing Strategies for bottom line impact’
eBay Advertising – Whitepaper ‘From the High Street to the i-Street’ ; Sales Positioning
Reset Finance – Marketing Strategy Development and Database/CRM analysis
Apr09 – Dec 10 Head of International Business Marketing – eBay Advertising
Joining eBay at the early stages of their consolidated advertising business I was responsible for their B2B marketing across EMEA. In addition I had some influence in policy and process across APAC regions. Reporting to the International Director of Advertising, I initially worked a sole consultant across the company before securing local support in key markets as the business grew.
With a remit to build from scratch I developed the following for eBay Advertising:
• A brand proposition
• A marketing strategy
• A communication strategy
As part of this remit my responsibilities included both Supplier management and a marketing and research budget of £1.5m across EMEA
• All sales targets exceeded
• Developed and implemented the ‘Online Retail Media’ proposition for eBay advertising
• Successful launch of eBay’s PPC programme, ‘AdCommerce’
• 140% YOY Growth in PR coverage for 09/10
• ‘Ebuyers Mind phase 2’ research project across UK, Fr & De
• Wrote and produced White Paper on ‘Advertisers guide to retail media’
• Frequent conference speaker and blogger for The Marketing Society
Jun06 – Apr 09 UK Head of Marketing – Microsoft Advertising
Microsoft Advertising (MSA) is the commercial division of Microsoft’s online services group. The UK is Microsoft’s largest market after the USA
Reporting to the Commercial Director, my team were responsible for all B2B marketing, research and communications for MSA and its portfolio brands (Including MSN, Windows Live, Microsoft adCenter and Xbox).
Our role in delivering this was achieved through a comprehensive marketing strategy which encompassed.
Digital /Direct Marketing (inc. PPC, SEO, and Affiliates)
Research (inc. sales support)
My specific responsibilities outside of vision and strategy development include:
Supplier management (Media, Marcoms, DM, Event, and PR agency resource)
Budget management for a marketing and research budget in excess of £3.5m
Personnel management, training & development
• Successful launch of Microsoft adCenter in 2006. All 12 month sales targets exceeded in 6
• Category focus led to 30% above market revenue growth in Entertainment vertical 07/08
• 100% YOY Growth in PR coverage for 07/08
• MSA reaches No.1 spot in IPA survey of digital media owners in 2007
• Developed first ever partnership in with The Marketing Society to promote Digital Marketing to its membership
• Online behaviour, MSN profile, Digital Mums and ‘Future of Digital’ research studies
• Frequent conference speaker and member of IAB leadership council
Feb04 – Jun 06 Marketing & New Business Director – i-level group
i-level group was an independent digital media agency group, for a time, widely considered the leader in its field.
Reporting to the Group Managing Director and the Board of Directors my overriding objective was the revenue growth and the winning of new business for the group.
Managing a team of two my responsibilities included:
Developing marketing strategy for the group businesses including -
Targets for new business by sector
Process for co-ordinating different functions/resource
Managing the new business process from lead generation to pitch & conversion
Providing direction for and monitoring the success of our PR resource
New product development
Providing an understanding of new trends in the marketplace
Working with other senior personnel to develop our range of services
• New account wins exceeding £20m in 18months inc: Orange, Sky, AA, Interflora, EA Games & James Villas
• Specialist agency of the year 2004, Mediaweek Awards
• Agency of the year 2005 – IMA Awards
• Rebrand and positioning of ‘Generator Consulting’
• Head of Trade Marketing – GWR radio (Launch of the Opus Radio Planning Awards with ‘MediaWeek’and development of youth dance brand ‘VibeNation’)
• Brand Strategist – Capital Radio plc - Capital FM, & Pepsi Chart
(Launch of Capital FM Network - 1999)
• Senior Planner/Buyer – MGOMD, Accounts included, Sony Records, Warner Video, Nike (Campaign Awards 97 – Best Use of Radio, Nike)
• Account Executive – Unique Broadcasting Company
• Trainee Media Planner/Buyer – Zenith Media
Alex's guidance led me onto being nominated for multiple digital awards. He is a very understanding and straight forward person. He has genuinely helped me countlessly to solve various client problems. His strategic solutions simply left me amazed. Being mentored by Alex has led me to leadership of my own, from the get up he began to improve my self-confidence. He enhanced my peer recognition by making me understand how to deal with various situations. Alex is one of the reasons where I am today and I cannot thank him enough.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£50||£50||Not available|
|5 hours||£225||£225||Not available|
|10 hours||£400||£400||Not available|