As gaining a science qualification has increased in importance, taking Biology seems like the easy route until you come across the jargon of the subject which can feel like learning a new language as well! Whether it is GCSE, AS/A2 or Nursing and Medical, I have proven skills to demystify the subject and enable you to have confidence in the language and concepts involved in Biology or Anatomy and Physiology. Ultimately, I believe learning should be and can be fun as well as productive.
A Fully qualified teacher with over 20 years experience teaching GCSE, AS/A2 and Degree level Biology. I can help you understand the theory and improve exam or coursework grades. For testimonials please visit my website.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Biology at GCSE, A Level, Access and Biology Foundation Degree level. I also tutor Anatomy & Physiology for Nursing Diplomas and Degrees as well as offering coursework help for Nursing and other medical professions.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a PGCE/FE, BSC (Hons) Science (Physiology), Dip HE, BTEC HND in Apllied Biology
- How much do you charge?
Prices vary from £35 to £40 per hour. Group discounts are available. I do charge £5.00 extra for travel.
- Where do you teach?
Based in Saltdean, will travel to Brighton, Hove, Telscombe and Peacehaven. I do charge £5.00 extra for travel.
- When are you available?
Monday to Friday, day and evening, including school holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
GCSE, AS/A2 (Edexcel, AQA, OCR and WJEC), Access Biologicial and Biomedical Degrees including Nursing and Medically related courses.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
Online tuition is available on request. All enquiries responded to within 24 hours.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Feedback from a past student:
During my tutorials I quickly realised that Carrie is a teacher with great knowledge of her specialist subjects and biology in general. The enthusiasm and commitment to teaching that Carrie has is extremely high and these valuable qualities enable students to produce higher standards of work than they would without the level of teaching that Carrie demonstrates. My fellow students and I were taught each subject in depth and Carrie was able to quickly determine the pace at which we worked best. This helped develop our understanding of the subjects and increased our interest immensely. Carrie made learning achievable, interesting, enjoyable and fun. Other teachers can lack this ability and this has become more evident since being taught by Carrie. Carrie always ensured her students understood the information given in the classes and showed great care towards any students' needs or uncertainties about the work. Carrie is aware that each student has different learning styles and worked optimally to encourage maximum understanding throughout. Overall, Carrie's passion for science, academic knowledge, experience and high teaching standards passes onto the students she teaches and future students will also gain this great understanding and confidence in their work whilst being tutored by Carrie.
Ceri Sutcliffe, Brighton
I am a fully qualified teacher with a PGCE/FE, BSC (Hons) Science, Dip HE, BTEC HND in Applied Biology.
I have over 20 years teaching experience in Further Education, 6th Form colleges and schools and have helped hundreds of students improve their theoretical knowledge at all levels from GCSE to Degree level as shown by improved exam and coursework grades.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have over 20 years experience teaching Biology and Anatomy and Physiology at all levels. As both a home tutor and a classroom teacher I have proven myself to achieve high grades from my students.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
University of Greenwich 1993.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I tutor a number of students, mainly studying AS, A2 and Nursing. Feedback from past students can be found on my website. Some of my students have progressed from E to A grades in Biology and grow in confidence in the subject. My students have a range of learning needs and abilities which I am more than happy to cater for.
I have over 20 years of Biology teaching experience being responsible for developing and motivating up to 70 students per week. I was Course Leader for the most successful ACCESS course across City College Brighton and Hove. The innovations I implemented while managing an evening GCSE course increased the A-C grade pass rate from 40% to 97%. Employed during an OFSTED outstanding inspection at BHASVIC where students achieved a 95% pass rate, with 43% gaining A-B grades.
Home Biology Tuition 2010 - Present
• Successfully self employed home tutor, helping with exam technique, theory and coursework for a range of Biological and Biomedical courses from GCSE to Degree on an ongoing or ad hoc basis.
Varndean College 2015 - 2018
• Part-time teacher for AS/A2 level, BTEC Applied Science level 3, GCSE Biology, International Baccalaureate and ACCESS to Medicine, ACCESS to Social Science and Humanities and Personal Tutor.
Acorn House Independent College 2014 - 2015
• Part-time teacher for GCSE and AS/A2 level.
BHASVIC 2012 – 2013
• Part-time teacher for AS/A2 level, being involved with an OFSTED inspection for which BHASVIC received an outstanding grade. Achieving a 95% pass rate, with 43% gaining A-B grades.
Portslade Adult Learning College 2011 - 2012
• Part-time Science lecturer for an intensive one year GCSE Science course achieving an 85% A-C pass rate.
Sussex Coast College Hastings 2010 - 2011
• Part-time Biology lecturer for AS/A2 Biology and International Baccalaureate courses. Successfully focussing on improvement of coursework and exam results.
City College Brighton and Hove 1996 - 2010
• Full-time Biology lecturer and tutor for a range of A level, GCSE, Foundation Degree, ACCESS, BTEC and NVQ courses.
• 97% A-C pass rate for GCSE Human Physiology and Health evening class cohort, for which I had sole responsibility for the management and delivery of.
• Course Leader for ACCESS Diploma to HE Health and Health Sciences. Responsibilities included: primary teaching for all biological modules; provision of pastoral tutoring for all students on the course; chairing meetings; course review and evaluation report writing; mentoring of new staff; liaison with other members of the teaching team to provide an environment for continuous improvement and interviewing new students for the forthcoming year.
• Proactive design and development of courses, including ACCESS Health and Health Sciences and ACCESS Biomedical Sciences Diplomas and was the co-author of the Foundation Degree in Biological Sciences. This included designing and writing the materials and quality assurance documents necessary to build and implement these courses. Specifically, the development of aims and objectives, learning outcomes and the production of student course handbooks.
• Course tutor for numerous Foundation Degree modules including the Basic Skills and Career Pathways unit.
• Extensive experience of organising people, activities and resources through teaching.
• Prepared courses and individual lessons that fulfilled course objectives and employed appropriate methodology to meet learners’ needs.
• Demonstrated a full and sympathetic understanding of factors affecting learning barriers.
Tomorrow’s People Trust, Brighton 1995 - 1996
• Job Search Tutor, responsible for own client group of unemployed 18-24 year olds.
• Trained clients in all aspects of job search skills including interview techniques, application forms and CV writing and successfully ensured that a number of clients re-entered the workplace.
• Established and maintained links with local representatives of Industry, Education and Training.
Northbrook College, Worthing 1994 - 1995
• Biology lecturer teaching on NVQ Health and Beauty and NVQ Floristry.
• Short course design for NVQ Level 1 Floristry.
Richmond upon Thames College, Middlesex 1992 -1994
• Part-time lecturing position in the Biology Department for GCSE and A level Biology.
Education and Qualifications
PGCE (FE) specialising in Biology and Health Education, University of Greenwich, 1993
IMLS Diagnostic Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Paddington College, 1990
BSc (Hons) Science specialising in Human Physiology, University of East London, 1988
Diploma of Higher Education in Science, University of East London, 1987
BTEC HND in Applied Biology, University of East London, 1986
A level Biology, A/O Chemistry and 10 ‘O’ levels including English and Maths GCSE
- Smart board training, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Personal Development (including)
- Effective Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Achieving grade 1 practical workshop
- Tackling Inappropriate Behaviour/ Equal Opportunities
- Visual awareness impairment training
- Safeguarding and Fundamentalism
- Positive Mindset
- Counselling level 1
During 1990-1991 I travelled independently around Europe and the Middle East, spending six months as a volunteer on Kibbutz Dan, Israel. Apart from travelling, other interests include playing the guitar, gardening, and renovating my home.
We highly recommend Carrie as a biology teacher. She has that rare ability to make learning fun. We were looking for three things in a tutor.
1 A good knowledge of the subject
2 The ability to teach the subject
3 The ability to get on with teenagers.
Carrie has excelled in all three. She also has a brilliant sense of humour. We will certainly continue to see her now our son is making the transition from GCSE to A level. Thanks Carrie.
Carrie is an excellent tutor as she helped me during my dissertation when I was struggling immensely. She explained things clearly and most of all she is very easy to talk to. Carrie was extremely helpful during this difficult time and constantly reassured that me everything was going to be OK, which it was, in the end, as I achieved a 2:1 for my dissertationâ€¦. I would definitely recommend Carrie.
Thank you for your excellent service it has been very much appreciated.
....... Carrie tutors in such a way as to make biology interesting and easy to understand and she constantly motivated and encouraged me,......... Carries never ending knowledge of both the subject and the examination styles enabled to be one step ahead throughout the gruelling two years, taking immense amounts of pressure off me come exam season. I would strongly recommend Carrie to every student studying Biology regardless of their ability!
She is a rare find as she genuinely loves her subject and clearly relishes sharing her passion and knowledge. She teaches beyond the subject, encouraging her students to push themselves and believe that they can learn.
From the first session onwards I felt my confidence in the subject grow. This was supplemented by her immense array of learning resources, of which she was so generous in sharing both within the lesson and via e-mail. All in all, I would highly recommend Carrie to anyone wanting a dedicated teacher with outstanding knowledge of the subject and the means of delivering the content proficiently.
Carrie's unique approach to teaching allows for an entertaining, fun and successful learning experience. Her ways of breaking down hard to remember information allow you to absorb and understand the crucial facts, and then how to link these together to understand the body as a whole. Carrie uses methods that make you retain information by associating it with everyday things, including the notoriously long words within biology!
â€¦. Carrie is the ideal tutor to share her enthusiasm of the subject with them. The time Carrie spends with my sons is invaluable and this is reflected by their achievements in the classroom and exams. Her commitment is not restricted to the time spent in the lessonâ€¦â€¦I am so thrilled to have Carrie tutoring my sons and cannot recommed her highly enough.
..Carrie has provided him with the resources to keep him up in the A/A* bracket where he was once worried about achieving this level. She has been a constant support for him taking a personal interest in each of his results through the last two years.
.. I have felt totally confident that he has access to all of the resources he needs through Carrie and have no hesitation in recommending her to you. Over the two years she has worked with Nick I have referred many friends to her and all have been delighted.
Carrie is an excellent tutor because she is easy to get along with and very passionate about what she does which is quite rare.
She makes biology fun and easy to learn as she has a great ability to explain difficult topics simply and adapts to your learning style.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone!
Carrie guided me through the vast maze that is biology A level, allowing me to slowly build skill and confidence. Always fun and inspiring there was never a dull moment when under her wing. A truly inspiring teacher and mentor.
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest cellular biology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, genetics lessons for all!
Taking anatomy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|