English is spoken more or less everywhere, whether it is at work to interact with businesses abroad, in entertainment, such as in, films and online media, or on holiday in the tourism industry.
Throughout this article, we hope to convince you that perfecting your level of English should become a priority in your everyday lives.
How Many People Speak English?
In order to better understand why English is the most spoken language worldwide, here some key figures which will send chills up your spine.
After taking into consideration these facts, we're sure you will appreciate your English lessons more.
- Over 450 million people speak English as their mother tongue
- Over 750 million people speak English as a foreign language
- English is the third most spoken language, after Mandarin and Spanish
- More than 80% of web pages are in English
- English is an official language in 54 countries including: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, India, South Africa, the USA
- The English language is the language which comprises of the most different pronunciations
- English is the most spoken language in the European Union, (51%)
- English is the most spoken language in international business
- English is the most sought after language for jobs
- 40% of internet users communicate in English
- English quotations are the most used on Twitter
Find out how to learn English with our Great Selection of Anglophile News Outlets.
English, the Most Learned Language Worldwide
Did you know this?
Want to be cool? Then learn English!
As mentioned in one of our previous articles, learning English allows you to communicate with everyone, you could watch films in English without feeling stupid and, finally, you will be able to understand the lyrics of your favourite songs.
Office language has adapted to include many of the following English terms, such as “marketing, reporting, uploading and business plan, etc”.
Worldwide musicians have also understood that in order to have a larger impact on the wider public, they must (at times) sacrifice their own language and sing in English. Take the French group Yodelice for example, they chose to sing in English to reach the wider public on an international scale.
The only thing that we cannot begrudge the English for is their gastronomy.
Do you know you can learn English online on Superprof.
Why is English so Widely Spoken?
The British Empire brought their language to different countries across the globe, such as Nigeria and India. This is why we find English in the Anglo-Saxon world, (the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) and ex British colonies.
After the Second World War, the development of international trade was in line with that of the United States of America, which led to English being the formal language used in business. Learn how US English differs from UK English here.
This English trade network that grew up, centered on the US, spread more than goods. It also spread “culture” and "brands", such as Coca-Cola, and the Rolling Stones. Insidiously, the United State’s economic and social power also sits across entertainment, such as cinema and TV and of course online.
English is also the most spoken language for the broadcasting of information in the computing and telecommunication fields. In Switzerland, English is also the language used in certain scientific and technical subjects.
Benefits of learning to Speak English
Someone who can master the English language can easily communicate with business teams abroad, thus saving money and time.
Also from a personal perspective speaking English can increase your earning potential by as much as 25%.
So, try and add “bilingual” onto your CV. We bet that your phone won’t stop ringing!
Understand Pop Culture
- “To be or not to be” (Hamlet, by Sir William Shakespeare). This quote is an integral part of the history of the English language.
- Publicity slogan: “Think different” (Apple), “Just do it”, Nike, “What else?”, Nespresso.
- Cinema Cult replica: “You talkin’ to me?” (Taxi Driver de Martin Scorsese)
Take note that it is a deliberate choice to not include “f*** off!” for sensitive readers who read this article, but because the number of films who use it is huge.
- A famous saying taken from the movie, Forest Gump: “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get!”
- A famous quote, from the one and only, Marilyn Monroe: “Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.”
- A quote from the British politician, Winston Churchill: “The further back you can look, the further forward you are likely to see”.
English is the most spoken language worldwide, and if you don’t speak it, you are missing out on many great opportunities.
Master the English language and you’ll be able to master the world! Discover the weird and wonderful world of British cuisine.