"A programming language is like a natural, human language in that it favors certain metaphors, images, and ways of thinking." -Seymour Papert
Computer programmers are much more creative and artistic than we give them credit for being. Most of us think of computer programmers how movies and television shows portray them as rebellious hackers who work in dimly lit rooms and who are on the fringes of society. However, that couldn't be farther from the truth since experts of code must collaborate with their team members and learn complex programming languages.
It's a well-known fact that learning any foreign tongue requires effort and tenacity; therefore, since coders must become fluent in at least one or two programming languages, they have honed the same qualities and are highly trained working professionals.
Nonetheless, before beginner coders start to learn the basics of computer programming, they might ask themselves the question, which programming language is the best? Is it Python? Is it Java or C++?
To settle the debate once and for all, we shall highlight the characteristics of both Java and Python to determine which is the best to learn. Let's get started!
The Characteristics of Java
Before we discuss all of Java's positive and negative attributes, it is essential first to get an idea of the basic characteristics of Java to instruct newbies in the field of computer programming.
Java was created by the Oracle Corporation and is primarily used to build large enterprise-class applications that the general public can use. Java is best used when working on programming projects in the corporate environment. While it is true that Java can be used for small tasks, it was necessarily created to do so.
Java is well-liked by many computer programmers and, according to many media outlets, it is the #1 computer programming language.
Nonetheless, what are some of the best functions and aspects of using Java that make it stand out as great alongside other computer programming languages? Keep on reading to find out more!
Pros of Using Java
Since its creation over 25 years ago, Java has developed a stellar reputation amongst the computer sciences community members. Java boasts the following advantages that make it an excellent option for any programming task:
- Java is User-Friendly: though Java is a high-level computer programming language, that doesn't mean it's impossible to use. Java is exceptionally suggested for beginners who want to become fluent in at least one computer programming language. It is easy to write, compile, debug, and learn additional coding languages when using Java.
- Java is Object-Oriented: compared to other computing languages, Java is very object-oriented, which allows you to create modular programs and reuse code more efficiently.
- Java is Platform Independent: another brilliant aspect of Java is that it does not solely depend on the platforms it recognises. Java code can effortlessly move from one computer system to another. Advanced computer programmers appreciate the platform independence of Java since it signifies the ability to run an identical program across various operating systems.
- Java is Relatively Safe: when a person says that a computer programming language is safe, it is less vulnerable to severe security threats. Java doesn't have pointers, and it has a Security Manager where you can specify access rules.
While the previously mentioned pros of using Java are pretty brilliant, like everything in life, there are some downsides to using Java. Such as? Read the following section to find out more about the cons of Java.
Cons of Choosing Java
Before starting to use Java for computing projects, it is a wise idea to consider the drawbacks. Why's that? So that you can make an educated decision and determine if the pros are more significant than the cons.
The following are the drawbacks of using Java as a computer programming language:
- Verbose: a term well-known amongst programmers, verbose means that there are too many words used. While it could be an advantage to see various lines of code written out when you are learning a programming language, many coders often view it as over-complicated and less readable. Compared to Python, the coding used in Java is quite complex.
- Poor performance: while it is true that all high-level computer programming languages must deal with poor performance at one time or another, Java has a reputation for poor performance due to several reasons. Such as? The garbage collector option, wrong caching configuration, thread deadlocks, and Out-of-Memory errors contribute to slowing down tasks.
Now that you read more about both the pros and cons of choosing to program with Java, you can make an educated decision. Bear in mind that the Java programming language is best suited for programmers that are specialised in working for domains such as Android Apps, Software products, finance programs, and trading applications.
Now, let's take a look at Java's arch-nemesis: Python!
The Features of Python
As we did with Java in the preceding subheading, before focusing on the benefits and drawbacks of Python, we shall discuss some of its characteristics. For example, Python is also a high-level programming language that first appeared in 1991. Python was created by the Python Software Foundation and has been regularly updated to enhance workability and iron out bug fixes.
Python has the mantra of making its design and code as readable as possible for all users. Also, Python is known in the computer programming community for its notable use of significant indentation.
Python is a general-purpose programming language, which means that it is different from other languages since it can be utilised for additional programming and software development types besides web development.
What are the pros and cons of using Python? Or why should a beginner programmer choose to learn how to use Python? Keep on reading to find out more!
The Benefits of Learning Python
Although Python is a computing language that has existed for some time, longer than other coding languages, that don't mean it is remarkably suggested and one of the best coding languages for beginners. The following are a few bulletproof reasons to learn how to use Python:
- Easy to Use: though Python is a high-level computer programming language, it is easy to use since its creators pride themselves on the fact that it has enhanced readability compared to other programming languages. The learning curve of Python is very short, and beginners can feel comfortable after a few weeks of coding regularly. It is dynamically typed, and, in comparison to Java, less code is needed to arrive at the same point.
- Versatile: not only used for programming one specific thing but Python has also been hailed as highly versatile since users can accomplish quick scripting. At the same time, develop massive software projects for large companies.
- A Large Community of Programmers: since Python is used by millions of programmers worldwide, there is a large community of active and present members online. It is essential to state that some of the best computer science minds in the country are contributing to online forums by offering wise advice about Python.
Are there any drawbacks? Yes, there are. Read the following section to find out more about the cons of Python.
Some Drawbacks of Using Python
While the pros of using Python are overwhelmingly positive, that doesn't mean that there aren't any cons. The following are some of the disadvantages of using Python according to experienced programmers:
- Not Recommended for Mobile Development: many of the best programmers would agree that Python is one of the weakest coding languages for mobile computing. It's important to state that both Android and iOS do not support Python as a programming language. So, if you need to work in app development, it might be best to select something other than Python.
- Severe Issues with Threading: most programmers have complained that Python isn't good for threading, and some issues arise. Why's that? Python has a Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) that allows only one thread to work at a time.
Considering both the positive and negative aspects of Python, it is still one of the best programming languages to use, and it should be high on your list for your next programming project.
Determining Which is Best: Python or Java
Now that we've considered the pros and cons of both Java and Python, the question remains: which is best?
It's important to mention that choosing a computer programming language is a personal decision. You must carefully consider the functions you need in a coding language to accomplish your specific work tasks.
By keeping in mind the projects you will most likely work on, you can decide by analysing the pros of cons of each computer programming language.
Since Java and Python are both widely used and well-regarded, it is difficult to say which one is best since their features vary. However, if you are a beginner and you want to be gradually introduced to the world of computer programming while at the same time having many resources to guide you along the way, we recommend choosing Python.
There you have it, the winner is Python!
In conclusion, it's worth stating that both are valid options and if you decide to use Java instead of Python, you won't be disappointed!