"Happiness is...having finished all of your exams." -Unknown
As a student, there is no greater satisfaction than finishing a critical examination and feeling good about how it went; it's genuinely euphoric! All the weeks of stress and anxiety leading up to the exam are now gone, and you feel as if you can finally relax and enjoy somewhat everyday life.
Nonetheless, since stress is a sentiment that should be avoided at all costs, is there a way for students to reduce exam anxiety in the weeks leading up to their essential assessments? Absolutely! By preparing ahead of time and resorting to helpful online resources in the topic that is being studied, pupils will see their stress shrink down dramatically.
Procrastination and last-minute study binges result in stress. These practices need to be avoided at all costs.
Therefore, for secondary school students completing the National 5 maths curriculum at a Scotland-based high school, review and examination prep resources should be utilised during the entire school year to ensure success and reduce stress.
But what are the best resources for an N5 maths student to use? Have no fear, Superprof is here! We shall demonstrate to students the best online maths resources currently available.
The GCSEs and Scottish National 5: are they Equivalent?
If you live outside the United Kingdom, you might assume that England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales have the same rules about everything (education, finance, business, etc.). That couldn't be farther from the truth! Each unique region that makes up the United Kingdom is quite different from the other. In what sense?
For example, the Scottish Education System is much different from the other parts of the United Kingdom. The Scottish Qualifications Authority oversees primary and secondary education in Scotland and qualifies students differently than England. Does that mean that Scottish students are missing out and not receiving the same academic information as other UK students? No, not at all!
Search for different maths tutors here now.
The academic disciplines and general information covered by students in Scotland are the same as those in other parts of the United Kingdom, yet the structure is different. State schools in Scotland follow the Scottish system of things that the government has established. However, it isn't uncommon that independent schools opt to use the qualifications methods used in other UK regions.
In Scotland, secondary school qualifications are known as the Nationals, Highers, and Advanced Highers.
For example, the Nationals have three levels (3, 4, and 5), and the National 5 qualifications are the most similar to the GCSEs used in other parts of the UK. Both the Scottish Nationals and the GCSEs require students to pass several academic disciplines, both mandatory and optional, to receive their high school leaving diploma.
At the end of the GCSEs and the Nationals, students choose to either leave secondary school and join the job force or continue their academic studies to become better equipped for university classes. The Highers and the A-Levels are qualifications approved across the United Kingdom to prepare higher schoolers for Uni.
The Best National 5 Maths Resources Currently Available
In recent years, for many reasons, the internet has become a scary and overwhelming place. The best-intentioned students try to search for helpful information that will make them successful, but they often finish their search more confused than when they started!
Is it possible for N5 maths students to find relevant review information?
To help National 5 maths students across Scotland find the correct information, we have discovered the best two online resources.
If you're familiar with the BBC, which you should be, you know that anything they invest their time and resources on is worth its weight in gold; the Bitesize website proves that theory to be true!
There are BBC Bitesize references for countless academic disciplines including physics, chemistry, French, Spanish, and National 5 maths.
The BBC Bitesize resources for N5 mathematics are well structured and included the following significant topics of study:
- Numerical Skills,
- Algebraic Skills,
- Geometric Skills,
- Trigonometric Skills,
- Statistical Skills.
BBC Bitesize resources are well-liked by students in the UK for their relevant content, informative clips, descriptive pictures or diagrams, and review quizzes that help hone skills on a particular topic.
Higher Mathematics Website
A site that has existed for some years now, the Higher Mathematics website is a fantastic resource for National 5 maths students for the following reasons:
- It covers the entire N5 maths curriculum,
- Experienced maths tutors developed it,
- It features resources and references to course material that is currently used by Scottish students.
The N5 maths resources are entirely free of charge. They guide students in their learning of more complex maths equations and topics.
The following are some of the topics, valuable links, and information that show how the National 5 Maths course is structured:
- N5 Maths Useful Links
- N5 Maths SQA Past & Practice Papers
- N5 Maths 100 Questions
- N5 Maths Prelim Special & Practice Exam Questions
- N5 Maths Essential Skills
- N5 Maths Exam Worksheets by Topic
- N5 Maths 180 Booster Papers
- Credit Maths Exam Worksheets by Topic
- N5 Maths Exam Questions & Answers by Topic
- N5 Maths Theory in a Nutshell Guides
- N5 Maths Videos, PowerPoints, Mind Maps & Worksheets
- N5 Maths Exam Check Lists
- N5 Maths Exam Focused Homework
- N5 Maths Further Revision Practice
- Credit & Int 2 SQA Papers
- 100 N5 Maths Lesson Starter Questions
- N5 Maths – Applications Unit Practice Assessment
- N5 Maths – Expressions & Formulae Unit Practice Assessment
- N5 Maths – Relationships Unit Practice Assessment
- N5 Maths Mind Maps
- N5 Maths PowerPoints
- Numeracy Grids Revision Worksheets
- Algebra Revision Worksheets (N4 Maths)
- Pythagoras Revision Worksheets (N4 Maths)
- SOH-CAH-TOA Revision Worksheets (N4 Maths)
- Fun Maths
- Maths Websites (Including Games/Puzzles)
- Recommended National 5 Maths Books
If you don't find what you're looking for in any of these references, we'd be completely shocked!
Fantastic Tips and Tricks to Ace Maths Examinations and Course Material
Since we've just considered some of the best online resources for National 5 maths students, we thought we should continue offering advice on successfully preparing for maths examinations and ace coursework.
Since maths are such a complex academic discipline, students need help to pass their examinations with flying colours!
And, while at Superprof we do recognise the fact that a lot of secondary school students do not want to seek advice as they think they can handle things on their own, we suggest taking the following maths studying tips into consideration since they will help you succeed:
- Do All the Assigned Work: since maths is a challenging subject, students must never view their homework as optional. The work that could not be completed in class is still necessary to the student's success and the entire maths curriculum in general. Pupils need to complete whatever maths problems or equations they are given. Setting aside time for maths homework proves beneficial.
- Schedule Review Sessions: there is a lot covered in mathematics courses, and it is impossible for students to remember everything. Regular revision sessions must be scheduled to recall the past lessons and work on equations problems that may be harder to grasp.
- Find a Study Partner or Create a Study Group: studying alone can be completely demoralising, and students need to be around other like-minded individuals who are analysing the same academic discipline. Having a study partner or a study group is a great way to bounce ideas around and receive help for free!
- Alternate Study Methods: instead of always sticking to studying the same textbook, we suggest changing things up a little when revising N5 maths. For instance, one day, you could use flashcards. Another day you could find some informative YouTube videos that touch on the subject you are learning. Also, never underestimate the power of taking online maths quizzes to refine your skills. By alternating your study methods, you will avoid boredom and have more fun!
- Avoid Distractions: there is nothing more detrimental to successful studying sessions than outside noises. Students must find a distraction-free space to concentrate on their maths homework that features tricky equations and problems. Some suggested study areas without too much noise may include the corner of your favourite coffee shop, your bedroom with the door shut, or the school library. Also, to avoid getting distracted, students at study should turn their phones off.
- Hire a Private Tutor: while all of the previously mentioned tips are essential for succeeding on maths tests and course material, we genuinely believe that the best advice for success is hiring a private mathematics tutor. Personal maths tutors have years of experience and provide practical advice that improves National 5 maths students' marks. Hire a tutor on Superprof today!
In conclusion, studying maths doesn't have to be a headache when you've got the right online resources and practical tips from experienced educators. Take the advice in today's article to heart, and you'll be passing National 5 maths in no time!