"Science means constantly walking a tightrope between blind faith and curiosity; between expertise and creativity; between bias and openness; between experience and epiphany; between ambition and passion; and between arrogance and conviction - in short, between an old today and a new tomorrow." -Heinrich Rohrer
Many science lovers have desired a career as a scientist and dedicated their lives to the discovery of new concepts to better understand the universe.
Without the brilliant minds of yesterday, we would not have the knowledge and modern technology of today.
Nikola Tesla, Stephen Hawking, Niels Bohr, Alexander Graham Bell, Marie Curie and Aristotle have all contributed to the information and scientific discoveries we read about in our textbooks and sometimes take for granted.
Let's consider the scientific subject of physics. Physics is supposed to be one of the oldest academic disciplines and is widely regarded as the base of other scientific topics such as chemistry, astronomy and oceanography. In the UK, physics can be studied during the last two years of secondary school or as part of further education at a qualified university offering physics courses.
Superprof has searched far and wide to find the best universities and private tutors offering physics courses in the Greater Manchester area for those who want to pursue a career as a physicist.
Check out many a Superprof's physics maths tutor.
The Best University Courses to Study Physics in Manchester
Manchester is one of the largest urban areas in the UK with over 3.2 million inhabitants living in the metropolitan area. The third-most-populous city in England is an essential cultural, historical, and educational hub that is visited by millions of tourists each year.
It would be a sin not to mention the football clubs of Manchester United or Manchester City when discussing the city of Manchester; go Red Devils!
An interesting fact about Manchester that not many people now is that in 2014 the Globalisation and World Cities Research Network ranked Manchester as a beta world city and this made it the highest ranking British city after London.
Mancunians surely have a lot to be proud of in their city, and their world-class education is no exception. The University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, RNCM, and The Manchester College are all widely recognised educational institutions that welcome students from all parts of the United Kingdom, Europe and other international destinations.
Without further ado, we will now consider some of the best university programmes in the Manchester region that specialise in the complex scientific discipline of physics.
School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester
The School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester is an internationally renowned school that boasts amazing learning facilities, a reputation of excellence in the study and research of essential aspects from the physical world, and a brilliant atmosphere of driven students who take their learning seriously.
According to the 2018 report of Academic Ranking of World Universities, The School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester is one of the highest ranked physics departments in the entire world. They are ranked 1st in the UK and Europe, and 9th worldwide in the academic study of physics.
Since the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester is prestigious, admission can be tough for students. Nevertheless, that does not mean that prospective pupils with the appropriate qualifications should shy away from applying to attend classes to attain an undergraduate degree at this institution.
13 Nobel Prize laureates have been linked with the school setting a precedent for excellence in current alumni and potential students.
Outstanding facilities include the world-famous Lovell Telescope at the Jodrell Bank Observatory and the Schuster Laboratory that equally make studying the fundamentals of physics captivating and unforgettable.
A-Level Physics Qualification at the Manchester College
Located at the Shena Simon Campus at Manchester College, this A-Level physics qualification is a brilliant idea for recently graduated secondary school students looking to continue their journey of further education and review physics or astronomy at a university level.
16-18-year-old pupils are warmly welcomed to attend this two-year part-time A-Level learning course if they possess the correct qualifications.
A prosperous career in a scientific discipline is calling your name!
Since physics is a popular academic discipline, it can be studied in all major cities and learning centres across the UK.
For example, citizens of London can master the concepts of physics at a wide variety of academic institutes. In the city of Leeds, physics can be reviewed before or during university. Brummies have the possibility of attending many renowned schools teaching physics, and, last but not least, citizens of Glasgow can study physics at one of Scotland's oldest universities.
Online Resources to Find Tutors Offering Physics Courses in Manchester
Since the introduction of modern technology, the act of learning has changed drastically. Visiting the library to rent books is a thing of the past, and online education has become a breath of fresh air!
Pupils now can learn new academic concepts without ever leaving the comfort of their own home.
Online private tutors are professional, punctual, and experienced.
Superprof has done its research and found the best online resources to find qualified tutors providing private tuition physics courses in the Greater Manchester area. Without any further delay, the following are the most highly recommended sites to hire tutors specialising in physics:
- Tutorfair: a great online resource for hiring a personal tutor. They have been featured in the Financial Times, the BBC, the Guardian, the Times, and the Independent. According to the Tutorfair website, six accredited physics tutors are working in the Manchester area with glowing reviews from past students. Prices range depending on seniority and experience as a physics tutor. If the current physics tutors in the Manchester region do not intrigue you, there are 328 online tutors to choose from living across the UK,
- Tutorhunt: a commission-free tutoring service that connects students with tutors specialising in any academic subject. Various accredited physics personal educators are offering their services on the website who are willing to travel some miles to teach pupils outside the classroom and in the comfort of their own home. Some tutors have been members of Tutorhunt for years and offer very competitive prices that just cannot be turned down,
- Superprof: probably the best site currently available offering tutoring services in all parts of the UK. The Superprof website offers presently 53 physics tutors working in Manchester and its surroundings. Many of the tutors have repeat students with nothing but positive things to say about their instructors. Hourly rates range from £20-40 depending on the expertise of the tutor.
With the guidance of a qualified tutor at your disposal, having fun while learning the fundamentals of physics for curiosity or reviewing complex concepts as preparation for future exams is entirely possible!
Helpful Tips to Study Physics Effectively
Refraction, special relativity, reflection, electromagnetic induction, entropy, electrostatics, convection, turbulence, and causality are all physical concepts that may require a thorough explanation to grasp correctly.
In certain situations, some students undergo in-depth study sessions on a regular basis hoping that hours of reviewing will help them understand even the most complex concepts of physics. Nevertheless, it is important to mention, that in some cases studying for hours will not be beneficial until the student implements the correct reviewing methods.
Therefore, since reviewing physics is no walk in the park, it is of the utmost importance to carefully consider the helpful tips of more experienced scholars to succeed.
Without further delay, the following are some of the most beneficial tips to implement to study physics at a secondary or university level effectively:
- Study Consistently: it is imperative to understand a new topic of physics as soon as it is introduced in class. The physics curriculum moves pretty fast; therefore, if you are having trouble understanding the new concept take time daily to review the new physical ideas until they are assimilated. Putting it off until examination periods will increase stress and does not guarantee that you will understand. A little bit of study every day is better than a colossal study period once a week,
- Ask For Help: since physics is a tough nut to crack, help is continuously required. If there was a new physics topic introduced during class time that you did not comprehend, ask the professor or a trusted peer after class to explain the new concept in a way that you will grasp. Creating a study group with other confused students is a great way to keep motivated and effectively sail through the subject matter,
- Have a Firm Foundation of Mathematics: now is the time to develop a love for calculus since the base or foundation of physics is mathematical equations. You cannot escape maths when reviewing physics since many concepts require mathematical problems. Therefore, if you have mastered the mathematical equations physics will be a breeze,
- Practise, Practise, and Practise: while attending physics courses in secondary school or at a distinguished university dedicate time to practise exercises. The more time spent practising hypothetical formulae, derivations, problems and principles, the better you will get at understanding the fundamentals of physics. Ask your professor or teacher to give you some practise exercises or find a trusted site on the internet specialising in physics,
- Find a Quiet Place to Study: this tip could be applied to any academic discipline; however, concerning scientific subjects such as chemistry or physics, it is even more critical. Turn off your phone and find a nice quiet place where there will not be any outside distractions. Sit back, relax, and study; your future depends on it!
The study of physics leads students to prosperous careers in any field. The acquisition of physics or degree in the subject may be a challenging feat, but the results are worth the effort. Start studying now to follow in the large footsteps of Einstein!
You can find physics courses here.