"History can give us a fuller understanding of ourselves, and of our common humanity, so that we can better face the future." -Robert Penn Warren
Despite all the problems we are currently facing in today's world, if you try, you can still find beauty and greatness all around. Why is that? Because the world is a beautiful and intricate place with so many different layers.
The food, culture, geography, events, politicians, laws, and specific moments of triumph and glory are all part of the history that makes each corner of the earth so unique.
Some people are so fascinated by the way thing people interact with the world that they study academic disciplines that have to do with these phenomenons. Such as what? Social studies. The academic subject of social studies is a very general topic that focuses on critical issues with many subdisciplines that are examined throughout the mandatory school years and beyond.
Popular social studies topics include history, economics, geography, ecology, philosophy, modern studies, and political science, to name a few. The reality of the matter is that social studies encompass so much and helps us to understand the world and its eccentricities better.
Therefore, without further ado, we shall discuss how passionate social studies enthusiasts can make a career teaching topics such as history, geography, and modern studies.
Become a History Tutor
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." -Edmund Burke
Studying moments, people, and specific laws in history is mandatory throughout the primary and secondary school in the United Kingdom for obvious reasons. Like what? The historical events in a country's past help future citizens become more aware of where they came from and how they can work hard to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.
Since history will consistently be a topic reviewed in UK based schools, the need for qualified tutors and teachers will always exist. Therefore, are you up to the challenge? Do you want to become a history tutor?
If so, it is highly recommended to attend further education classes at a university or college to be effectively-prepared to instruct historical topics with accuracy and grace. But where? Luckily, the United Kingdom has some of the most higher education centres in the world, and history is a popular discipline.
According to whatuni.com, there are currently over 1481 degree courses to study history in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Some of the best undergraduate programs include the following two options:
- Durham University: ranked 3rd among universities in the UK offering history courses, Durham offers eight history-based programmes such as Ancient History BA, English Literature and History BA, and Classical Civilization BA, to name a few.
- UCL (University College London): with excellent past student ratings and extremely high employment rates for graduates, the UCL has 15 history degree courses that can be studied by pupils based on their general interest and desired field of expertise. Check out their courses today!
Nevertheless, after acquiring their qualifications, history majors who want to get a career started tutoring may not be sure where and how to begin; the number of opportunities is daunting!
At Superprof, we genuinely want everyone to succeed, and we try to offer the best advice; therefore, it is an aspiring history tutor's best interests to create a profile on our website to start providing remedial support in history right away! But how?
It's easy as the following one, two, and three steps:
- Visit the Superprof website and select the options "tutoring jobs", followed by "create your profile",
- Sign up using Google, Facebook, or your Email.
- Add essential information to your profile, such as a headshot, availabilities, price, academic specialities, methodology, and qualifications.
After completing the previously mentioned steps, your add is live! The next part is the hardest: waiting for students to book a class. But, don't worry too much, there are thousands of potential students that visit Superprof every single day.
What about becoming a modern studies teacher? Read the following subheading to find out more!
How to Become a Modern Studies Instructor
"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
Teachers may have the most rewarding yet challenging job on the planet. How's that? The obstacles to ensure that every pupil grasps the information is a constant struggle since every child/person is a different world with unique problems. Yet the satisfaction of seeing students succeed and understand the first points of a critical discipline has no words.
Therefore, if you like social studies and want to share your passion with others, why not become a modern studies tutor in your local area?
Since modern studies is a mandatory topic taught in Scottish schools throughout primary and secondary grades, the best place in the world to receive further education in recent studies to become a teacher is in Scotland.
Although it is true that modern studies touches on political issues and human interactions at an international level, the curriculum is maninly focused on the history of Scotland; just a little FYI!
Without further ado, the following is one of the best schools in Scotland to further a person's knowledge of modern studies:
- University of the Highlands and Islands: located in Inverness, Scotland, the Uni of the Highlands and Islands offers many degree courses that cover the various topics incorporated in modern studies. Such as? History and Politics BA, Scottish History and Politics BA, and Sociology and Politics BA. All of the courses are offered for undergraduates and are highly recommended.
Those who decide to take further education classes to become a modern studies tutor are wise since the advantages of university outweigh any cons. For example, university graduates have more career opportunities in a wide range of sectors. These networking options lead to a better life, and personal skills are developed to become more well-rounded persons.
Nonetheless, the question arises, how do I advertise myself after Uni to become a modern studies tutor? The answer to that question is quite simple, create a profile or two on tutoring-based websites.
It's important to mention that finding students to tutor is primarily done online nowadays. But how is that done? Since the rise of the internet, more and more students are learning academic disciplines online; hence, the need for more online tutors.
To make e-learning more accessible, hundreds of tutoring sites have popped up in the past five years.
Although there are many options, we firmly believe that the advantages of starting as a tutor on Superprof are undeniable. The following are bulletproof reasons to create a tutoring profile on our site:
- Endless Options of Potential Students: available in countries across Europe, North America, South America, and Asia, Superprof has become a leading expert in connecting students with tutors to further their education about many topics. Therefore, since Superprof is so far-reaching, new instructors do not have trouble finding students.
- Free Profile Creation: some other well-known tutoring sites charge a fee for new teachers to create their profile, does Superprof do the same? Not! New tutors can create an account and get it active 100% free of charge.
- The Best Technical Support Team: did you know that the Superprof support team can assist in nine languages? Amazing! The technical support team is always available and ready to answer questions that you may have at lightning-fast speeds.
If the previously mentioned reasons don't tempt or convince you, we don't know what will! We hope that you make the best decision to enjoy a fruitful career as soon as humanely possible.
Can I become a geography educator that teaches online? Keep reading to find out more.
Becoming a Geography Educator
"In our changing world, nothing changes more than geography." -Pearl S. Buck
Geography is defined as the study of places and the relationship between people and their environment. Although, when it is described in layman's terms, it may sound boring, in our changing world, the study of geography is anything but dull!
Students who study geography during their formative years of primary and secondary school become more in tune with the world around them, and they begin to appreciate how great a home planet earth is for humans. Many intellectuals have proven that by studying the countries, cultures, languages, and traditions encompassed in geography, ignorance is decreased, and compassion is heightened.
Therefore, what are you waiting for geography enthusiasts? Start teaching your favourite subject to interested persons via online or in-person tutoring lessons.
Nevertheless, it is essential to stress the importance of attending a further education centre to become equipped with the needed skills to be a fantastic geography coach. But where? The following are two marvellous universities where geography can be studied in the UK:
- Lancaster University: with a relatively high student rating and fantastic employment rate, the 22 geography-based degree courses for undergraduates at Lancaster are brilliant and should be strongly considered. Check out their website to find out more!
- University of Birmingham: ranked as the 10th best school for geography degrees in the UK, the U of Birmingham offers nine geography-based degrees such as Geography BSc, and Geology and Physical Geography BSc, etc.
We guarantee that if neither of these options floats your boat, there are other programmes since whatuni.com highlights 592 courses in geography.
Nevertheless, after receiving a certification in geography, many aspiring tutors do not know how to effectively advertise their skills to attract students and start work. Remember, that's when Superprof enters the picture. Superprof has over 12 million tutors teaching over 1000 subjects to hundreds of thousands of pupils from all over the world. Creating a profile can be quickly done by visiting our website.
In conclusion, we hope that today's article helped sway many potential social studies tutors in the right direction. If you feel nervous to start as an online instructor, you're not alone; it is quite intimidating at the start. Just remember to make lessons fun, share your tips and tricks, be prepared, and encourage students.
If you follow our advice, you'll be golden. See you in the classroom socials studies tutor!
Searching for online tutoring jobs? Check Superprof now!