"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you." -Zig Ziglar
The ability humans have to constantly learn new things is something special that makes us unique from other species. We must embrace the fact that we will always have things to study and never be a genius in every topic and subject. Also, by refusing to acquire knowledge after your formative years, you are neglecting your mind from having wonderful experiences.
So, at Superprof, we believe that further education of all types, depending on your circumstances and preferences, is highly recommended.
Nonetheless, some might have reservations about further education and think that it is necessary to attend a university programme and acquire a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Moreover, that is not always the case since further or higher education courses, in some cases, can be a few vocational or online courses. enough to satisfy the brain.
Consequently, the main point of higher education is that is additional to your secondary school diploma and is enough to satisfy the hunger your brain has for knowledge. However, for some employment positions and careers, a university degree is required. Let's use the example of accounting.
Most certified and working accountants have received their qualifications at universities in the UK. Such as? Without further ado, we shall mention the best Unis across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales to receive a certification and proper education in the accounting sector. Are you ready to crunch those numbers?
Top Five Best Universities in the United Kingdom for Aspiring Accountants
By superficially looking at the tasks of accountants, accordingly to a lot of us, they do not have the most interesting or glamourous jobs.
However, there is a lot more to accounting and financial advising than meets the eye. For one, accountants are intelligent, methodical, and possess a very high level of maths. Also, we need accountants because so many individuals and business owners are completely lost when it comes tracking budgets, spending, and income.
It is essential to state that at many businesses covering various industries, accountants are the true unsung heroes.
Therefore, to encourage more and more people to consider a career as an accountant, we have uncovered five of the best Unis in across the UK for their reputation in conducting accounting courses, the number of degrees offered for accountants, and overall opportunities for employment.
London School of Economics
A branch of the University of London, the London School of Economics is a shining beacon for education in accounting and finance in the United Kingdom. Having recently received a score of 89.4 and is ranked sixth on a list of best universities for accounting degrees by the Guardian, the London School of Economics equips finance majors with all the tools to become skilled at their craft.
According to the list of current undergraduate programmes offered, there are three accounting and finance based degrees that can be taken at LSE. The following is a brief description of each accountant course:
- Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons): a three-year full-time programme that covers all the fundamental subjects of accounting and finance. Some modules throughout the years touch on subjects such as microeconomics and macroeconomics.
- Finance BSc (Hons): another three-year course that covers a wide variety of topics that are necessary to understand the global world of finance and all its eccentricities. An intriguing discipline that is analysed in this Finance Bachelor's course is financial risk modelling and management.
- Financial Mathematics and Statistics BSc (Hons): a little mix between the two previously mentioned accounting courses, this programme is also full-time and three years long and has been established as a way to meet the demand to train more individuals in the field of mathematics and statistics.
We greatly suggest taking a look at when the previously mentioned accounting and finance degrees can be started at the London School of Economics. Also, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is of the utmost importance to educate yourself about which classes are taken online or in-person.
University of Strathclyde
Currently ranked the second-best Uni in Scotland, after the University of Glasgow, for accounting and finance courses, the University of Strathclyde boasts wonderful options for Scots and international students alike. For instance, according to their website, Univerity of Strath has 23,000 students from over 100 countries; now that's variety!
But why did we choose to include the accounting degrees from the University of Strathclyde instead of the higher-ranked University of Glasgow? Simple: more course options for students available.
Business, finance, and accounting students in the Glasgow-area have a lot of options in accounting and finance due to the 21 programmes offered at the University of Strathclyde. Such as? The following are the courses available at Strathclyde for aspiring accountants:
- Mathematics, Statistics and Accounting BSc (Hons),
- Mechanical Engineering and Financial Management MEng,
- Mathematics, Statistics, and Finance BSc (Hons),
- Finance & Mathematics and Statistics BA (Hons),
- Finance & Marketing BA (Hons),
- Finance and Human Resource Management BA (Hons),
- Finance and Business Law BA (Hons),
- Business Entreprise and Finance BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Business Law BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Economics BA (Hons),
- Business Analysis and Technology & Finance BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Finance BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Human Resource Management BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Marketing BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Business Enterprise BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Business Analysis and Technology BA (Hons),
- Economics and Finance BA (Hons),
- Accounting BA (Hons),
- Finance BA (Hons),
- Accounting and Hospitality and Tourism Management BA (Hons),
- Finance and Hospitality and Tourism Management BA (Hons).
All of the previously mentioned courses are offered by the University of Strathclyde, primarily at Strathclyde Business School, and last anywhere between three and five years. In all honesty, if you're interested in accounting and finance and can't find a course at Strathclyde, we'd be completely shocked!
University of Leeds
Boasting an overall score of 100 out of 100 points in regards to the best schools for accountancy degrees from the Guardian, the University of Leeds is the number one choice in the United Kingdom.
With a 100% employment rate for past graduates in accounting and finance, the University of Leeds offers three to five-year courses that are taught by some of the most qualified financial advisors/educators in England. The following are the five programmes tailored for aspiring accountants:
- Financial Mathematics BSc (Hons),
- Accounting and Finance BSc (Hons),
- International Business and Finance BSc (Hons),
- Economics and Finance BSc (Hons),
- Banking and Finance BSc (Hons).
All of the previously mentioned programmes take between three to four years of full-time study to complete at the Leeds University Business School or School of Mathematics.
Some popular academic disciplines in the modules of these courses include principles for global entrepreneurship, introduction to financial accounting, and statistics for accounting and business. The overwhelming majority of past accounting and finance students at the University of Leeds boast unanimous praise for the courses that they took.
Queen's University Belfast
The only entry in today's article from Northern Ireland, Queen's University Belfast is a fantastic university with a great reputation on the world stage.
There are currently seven courses offered to undergraduates in the field of accounting and finance. Such as? The following are the names of the courses at the Queen's University in Belfast:
- Accounting with Spanish BSc (Hons),
- Accounting with French BSc (Hons),
- Finance (with a year in Industry) BSc (Hons),
- Accounting BSc (Hons),
- Economics and Accounting BSc (Hons),
- Economics with Finance BSc (Hons),
- Mathematics with Finance BSc (Hons).
All of the previously mentioned courses are designed so that students in Northern Ireland are equipped with all the necessary knowledge to successfully start a career in accounting and finance. At Queen's University in Belfast, all courses are completed at either Queen's Management School or the School of Mathematics and Physics.
Another top-five entry on Guardian's list of best schools in the UK for accounting and finance, Loughborough University in central England has a lot of great things to offer undergrads who aspire to work in the finance world. Such as? For instance, according to WhatUni.com, Loughborough University has a 4.6 out of 5-star rating for courses such as the following:
- Mathematics and Accounting and Financial Management BSc (Hons),
- Mathematics and Accounting and Financial Management (with a year placement) BSc (Hons),
- Accounting and Financial Management (with placement year) BSc (Hons),
- Business Economics and Finance BSc (Hons),
- Financial Mathematics BSc (Hons),
- Financial Mathematics (with placement year) BSc (Hons),
- Business Economics and Finance (with placement year) BSc (Hons),
- Finance and Management (with placement year) BSc (Hons).
All of the programmes with a "placement year" are four years long; while on the other hand, the simple BSc only takes four years to complete the programme. We highly recommend checking out the Loughborough University's accounting courses on their website in more depth before choosing one that is best suited for you.
In conclusion, we sincerely hope that one of the five universities mentioned in today's article will suit your needs when it comes to choosing an accounting and finance course. Have fun and study hard!
Want to know more about the best accounting and finance resources available? Click this link to read our article!