I have been playing trumpet for 16 years and was originally inspired to learn at school when watching an older student perform in concerts. I have achieved grade 8 trumpet and played in many musical ensembles at semi-professional level. I enjoy working with younger players and I'm comfortable teaching kids to learn the basics of practical trumpet playing and music theory. I have a number of innovative and creative teaching styles and I believe that learning to play music should be fun and varied both in what you learn and the way lessons are taught. My teaching style is predominantly light-hearted and my lesson plans are loosely structured around fun, low register tunes and warm up exercises, moving on to teaching keys and scales and then working through pieces focusing on a range of different musical styles. I also believe that breathing control is essential to be a good trumpet player so I like to incorporate breathing exercises in to my lessons. Any opportunity for a small performance to friends, family or at school is encouraged! With a wealth of experience of playing solo and in ensembles I can also pass on tips for calming performance nerves and improving performance style.
- Set up and coached a trumpet quartet in my last year of senior school for year 7s (11-12 year olds) who went on to perform in school concerts and music festivals. They played a range of tunes from 4-part arrangements of the entertainer to music from Greece the musical and some classical pieces. The girls have since gone on to each achieve their grade 8 and study music at University.
- I have played at weddings and functions including multiple remembrance Sunday services.
- I led a quartet for 2 years who went on to win a national chamber music competition.
- I played with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra and Edinburgh University Jazz Orchestra for 4 years.
- I played 2nd trumpet in Edinburgh University Music Society main orchestra (represented in concerts both in Edinburgh and overseas on tours of Europe and Ireland).
- I performed a solo recital including pieces by Tchaikovsky and Allen Vizutti in my last year of school to an audience of 150 people.
- I played 1st trumpet in Thames Vale Youth Orchestra for 3 years.
- I have sung with the National Youth Choir of Great Britain for 4 years.
Ongoing degrees (at University level):
BSc in Global Health at the University of Bristol
Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery - BVMS - at the University of Edinburgh (I will be going in to my final year in September 2019)
Awards obtained in music:
Music Scholarship at Senior School
Award for contributions to the musical life of the school
Grade 8 trumpet
Grade 8 singing
Grade 7 piano
Grade 5 theory
Distinction at GCSE music
Pro Corda National chamber music competition finalist
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest trumpet lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, wind instruments lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||£30||Not available|