I approach teaching with a focus on core controversies within a subject -- those questions that are intrinsically interesting and worth studying. By illuminating why something matters, or why it ought to matter, I seek to give students the motivation necessary to find the facts, and through support, to see how they hang together, in a broad sense. With this kind of conscious overview of a subject, students typically find it easier to write the kind of analytical answers that are expected at the upper levels of GCSE work, in A-levels, and as the basis for undergraduate work.
I was educated in the UK, and hold an undergraduate degree in philosophy and English literature (1st class) from the University of York, as well as a postgraduate degree in international relations from the University of Cambridge. I have ten years of experience teaching at a private school in Tokyo, and have successfully helped dozens of high-school students prepare their applications for international universities. including those in the UK and USA. Many of my former students are now employed at graduate level and above in fields as diverse as accountancy, law, business and the medicine.
EDUCATIONAL HISTORY and QUALIFICATIONS
2016 The Philosophy Foundation, London
Accreditation as Level 3 Specialist Philosophy Teacher
2015 Accreditation as Level 2 Specialist Philosophy Teacher
2008 University of Cambridge
M.Phil International Relations
2005 University of York
BA (Hons.) Philosophy with English Literature (First class)
2003—2004 Study abroad at the University of California, Berkeley (Erasmus Scholarship).
1994 - 2002 Secondary Education at Benton Park School
Harrogate Road, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6LX
4 A-levels – Psychology (A), General Studies (A), English Literature (A), Drama (B)
2 AS-levels – Economics (A), Religious Studies (A)
10 GCSE’s (A*- B), including Mathematics (A) and English Language (A*)
01/04/2016 - Present Kogakuin University, Tokyo, Visiting Philosophy Teacher
• Set up/taught first-year philosophy programme at the university
• Delivered workshops for faculty members on facilitation/Socratic dialogue techniques to improve learning experiences in university seminars
01/04/2009 - Present Kaetsu Ariake Junior & Senior High School, Philosophy Teacher
• Taught International Baccalaureate Theory of Knowledge/English courses in senior high school
• Devised and facilitated philosophy sessions for junior high school students aged 12 to 15
• Organised study abroad trip for students and teaching staff to Cambridge between 2012-2017
• Set up three study abroad programmes with schools in the UK (King’s School, Ely and Cambridge International School) and the USA (Solebury School, Pennsylvania)
• Wrote and supervised entrance examinations for new students
01/01/2014 - 30/06/2015 The Japan Times, News Desk Editor/Page Designer
• Completed first edits on in-house and wire copy for domestic and world pages using InCopy
• Selected stories for publication, and participated in daily meetings to pitch content for front, domestic and world pages
• Designed pages using Adobe InDesign software, in accordance with in-house style guidelines
• Wrote a regular column for Life & Culture pages titled “A Taste of Home”.
01/09/2008 - 15/12/2008 Lehman Brothers Bank, Canary Wharf, London Graduate Trainee
• Completed graduate training in Legal & Compliance division prior to company bankruptcy.
04/08/2008 - 03/09/2008 Keio University Summer School, University of Cambridge, Philosophy Lecturer
• Planned and taught two weeks of seminars in epistemology and ethical theory
• Organized social events for 60 students over a one-month period
• Oversaw daily administrative tasks related to student welfare and accommodation
(forthcoming October 2018)
• Thinking Experiments: Philosophy for the Japanese high school curriculum (Tokyo: Shutoken Moshi)
• English (native)
• Japanese (conversational).
• Working knowledge of Adobe InCopy and InDesign software for editing and publishing
• Windows/Mac versions of Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
• Public Speaking, qualified to English Speaking Board Senior Level 3
• Speaker at the national finals of the European Youth Parliament.
• Well-developed knowledge of Japanese society and culture
• Workshop leader, ‘Philosophy in the classroom’, Kaetsu Ariake High School (2015-2016)
Presented a series of workshops on philosophy and strategies for facilitating philosophical discussions. The workshops aimed to give a sense of how structured questioning can be used to boost student motivation and achieve a robust understanding of subject knowledge as well as the controversies implicit within established fact and theory.
• President, Platinum Society, University of York (2002-2005)
Founded first soul music society at the university. Organised events on campus and at venues around York. Raised more than £3500 from profits at society events, and a membership of over 350.
• President, Alcuin College, University of York (2004-2005)
Organised welfare services for college members. Lead weekly meetings about college events and funding issues. Liaised with staff and services departments at the university.
psychology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest philosophy lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, religious studies lessons for all!
Taking humanities general lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|