I tutor Maths and Physics at secondary school, GCSE and A-Levels. I also teach Engineering Maths and Physics to engineering undergraduates in their first and second years.
My teaching method is heavily influenced by the one-on-one supervisions I received at Cambridge University. My approach involves first taking time to understand the level of understanding a student has on a given topic by either asking a student to describe in words or to work through a question/exercise with the aim of identifying the real sticking point within that topic. Next step, working through the problem. I explain the theory using plenty of written and spoken examples for any given topic. Finally, to gauge the understanding of the student, I ask the student to work through a few new questions in that topic area, getting them to explain their thought processes out loud in detail. This ensures any misunderstandings are quickly corrected and helps me provide additional information where needed.
Besides purely covering the content of each lesson, I believe that tailoring the style of each tutoring session to the individual student sets them up for the best success. For this, I draw heavily on my wide range of teaching experiences, my work in teams at McKinsey & Company and my interactions with teammates when captaining my football team to adjust the energy levels, tone and style of each session. This caters for an individual’s needs (which will be explicitly discussed at the start of each session), for example by allowing more extroverted personalities to continuously express their thought patterns out loud while giving more introverted students the necessary time to collect their thoughts before giving an answer to a question.
I am a Cambridge University engineer, highly proficient in Maths and Engineering Physics. I graduated top of the Mechanical Engineering division at Cambridge in June 2019. I have a wide range of teaching experience including:
- One-on-one tutoring on personal statements to Oxbridge and other universities
- Teaching large English classes to high school and university students in summer camps in Japan
- Peer tutoring Maths and Physics to classmates and younger schoolmates in high school
- Mentoring and teaching Maths to orphaned teenagers in Kenya
- Coaching reading and teaching drama to primary school students
Away from academics, I am an active footballer and runner and enjoy travelling and cooking. In 2018, I interned at McKinsey & Company London as a Summer Business Analyst and will be joining as a full-time Business Analyst in January 2020. These experiences all contribute to my ability to provided an all-rounded approach to tutoring.
Cambridge University (2015-2019):
- Masters in Engineering, 2018-2019: Honours with distinction; Graduated top of Mechanical Engineering Division
- Bachelor of Engineering, 2015-2018: Class I; Subjects studied include Mechanical, Civil and Structural Engineering
Greensteds International School (2009-2015):
- A Level results: 4A*1A in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French; Best A Level Physics in Africa
- GCSE results: 8A*2A, including A*s in Maths and Sciences; Best GCSE PE in East Africa
- Incoming Business Analyst at McKinsey & Company, beginning January 2020
- Summer Business Analyst at McKinsey & Company, July-August 2018
- Personnel Officer at Trinity May Ball, 2018-2019
- Building Engineering Intern at Newtecnic, July-August 2016
- English teacher at high school and university summer camps in Japan, July-August 2019
- Personal statement tutoring, with students achieving offers from Cambridge, Bristol, Birmingham and other universities, 2015-2019
- Peer tutoring Maths and Sciences to high school students, 2013-2015
- English, reading and drama teacher to primary school students, July-August 2015
- Volunteer Maths teacher and mentor at orphaned teenagers’ home, August 2017
Perfect! Farzana is an amazing tutor she is very detailed. Loved the way that she explained things and made it very easy and simple to understand. I am happy to use her agin :-)
Esther was really clear about the content she wanted to cover during the lesson and very organised in scheduling it in advance. During the lesson, she asked questions as needed to ensure the lesson was well understood and was extremely pleasant to teach! Would strongly recommend her as a student to anyone.
Farzana is literally one of the major reasons I made it to Cambridge. She helped me tailor my personal statement for engineering. She did this by providing advice and guidance that helped me develop my ability to phrase things well. In addition, she never hesitated to go out of her way to make sure she was available when I needed her help the most. She is very systematic and passionate in her delivery of concepts!
I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student, I was tutored by Farzana through my examinations last year. I am pleased by the manner in which she easily explains and passes on the difficult concepts in my course. In particular I struggle with mathematics and structures, she was very adept at assisting me in these two.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, algebra lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£12|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£60|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£120|