My degree is in French and Russian, so I'm well acquainted with learning languages myself. I mainly teach adults over 18, although I have experience in teaching younger learners as well. My methodology for teaching is to split lessons between reading, writing, speaking, listening and grammar, although each lesson will of course have some element of all of these. I base my lessons on established EFL textbooks such as Straightforward and Cutting Edge, and I make use of and adapt materials from the British Council and BBC Skillswise as well.
I am a newly-certified EFL teacher with about 7 months of experience teaching general English. I've taught one-on-one and also in classes of up to 8 students, focussing on building the language skills necessary to navigate day-to-day life in an English-speaking country.
Cancellation policy - 6 hours' notice for physical lessons, otherwise refunds may not be given.
Education and Qualifications
September-November 2020 CELTA (grade: pass), The English Language Centre, Reading
• Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA).
• 120-hour TEFL course.
• 6 hours of teaching general English to multilingual adult learners in groups of 4 to 8 at pre-intermediate and upper-intermediate levels.
• Created activities for both receptive and productive skills using authentic materials and also those adapted from Cutting Edge Upper-intermediate and Straightforward Pre-intermediate.
• 6 hours of lesson observations of more experienced EFL instructors completed.
2014-2018 BA in French and Russian (2.1), Queen Mary University of London, London
• Regularly gave ten-minute presentations on study areas to seminar groups in French, Russian and English.
2012-2014 Queens’ School, Bushey
A-Levels: French (B), History (B), Art and Design (B).
2008-2012 Westfield Academy, Watford
GCSEs: 10 A* to C including English and Maths.
April 2021-Present GCSE English Tutor, MyTutor, London
• Tutor GCSE students online in English Language and Literature for MyTutor’s ‘Schools Programme’ as part of the National Tutoring Programme, both in small groups of three and on a 1:1 basis.
• Assess needs of students and tailor tuition accordingly, helping them achieve their target grades for upcoming exams.
• Keep up to date on knowledge of students’ curriculums (AQA; Edexcel; WJEC).
• Plan and adapt lessons using relevant tuition methods and materials.
• Record student performance and produce progress reports for students’ schoolteachers.
• Meet health and safeguarding requirements, maintaining professionalism to ensure protection of students.
February 2021-Present EFL Instructor, City of Sanctuary UK, Reading
• Volunteer with local refugee centre as an EFL instructor, teaching adult learners online on a 1:1 basis.
• Use and adapt lessons plans from British Council and BBC Skillswise.
• Focus mainly on speaking conversational British English, as well as on reading, writing, and listening.
November 2020-December 2020 EFL Instructor, The English Language Centre, Reading
• Volunteered as an EFL instructor after completing the CELTA qualification.
• Prepared classes using well-known EFL textbooks (Straightforward Pre-intermediate; Cutting Edge Upper-intermediate) and own materials, adapting and creating all course materials independently.
• Focussed on improving students’ listening, reading, writing, and speaking, as well as teaching grammar and vocabulary.
June 2015-March 2021 Personal Assistant for Private Client
• Handled correspondence and phone calls.
• Managed diaries and organised meetings and appointments.
• Booked and arranged travel and transport.
• Reminded client of important tasks.
• Typed and prepared letters and correspondence.
• Liaised with client’s doctors and family.
• Miscellaneous tasks to support personal maintenance.
Further Positions of Responsibility
December 2020-Present Helper, Girlguiding, Wokingham
• Volunteer as an adult helper to girls aged 10-18 in local Girlguiding activities.
• Completed safeguarding assessments online to ensure safety of children.
• Moderate activities to ensure safeguarding of children.
• Research ideas for further activities to play with the children in sessions.
2017-2018 Section Editor for L’Hex Magazine’, Queen Mary University of London
• Supervised a team of 3 writers for the ‘Histoire, Littérature, Politique’ section of QMUL’s own French-language student-led magazine.
• Was responsible for setting the output of the section for each edition, collating, writing and editing articles, and liaising with both the article contributors and the head editorial team.
2016-2018 French Debating Club, Queen Mary University of London
• Planned and researched own arguments for each weekly topic, forming teams and presenting our case(s).
• Represented QMUL in national French debating competition in 2017 and 2018.
2012-2013 Foreign Language Leader, Queens’ School, Bushey
• Acted as teaching assistant; supported teacher; identified strengths and weaknesses of students; and prepared lesson plans and resources to help maximise their potential.
• Independently researched, planned and delivered two lessons on French art and culture.
• Received Foreign Language Leading Award in recognition of 30+ hours dedication to students.
Languages French (proficient); Hindi (bilingual); Russian (intermediate); Arabic (elementary).
IT skills Intermediate level Microsoft Office Packages.
Driving Full driving licence, own transport.
Enjoy painting, sketching and photography.
vocabulary - english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest esol (english) lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£12||£10|
|5 hours||Not available||£45||£50|
|10 hours||Not available||£90||£100|