I am a qualified and experienced teacher, with over 7 years' experience. I challenge my students - of course, speaking is important but every class will have a goal, an objective and you will know clearly the aims of every lesson. This leads to you being able to clearly understand what you are learning. That goal might be grammar, for example, or new vocabulary. We will not just talk, without having an aim (unless, of course, you want conversation practice!).
I follow closely the communicative approach I learned during my Cambridge CELTA course. This methodology is based on the fact that everything we do has a purpose and a context – you can use this newly acquired knowledge in your day-to-day life.
For example, this week I taught a grammar class on the 2nd conditional in the context of travel. The question asked was: 'If you could travel to 11 countries in 44 days, which countries would you travel to?' The class was developed gradually, allowing the student to learn the grammar in a real and interesting context, in addition to allowing him to practice and demonstrate his learning.
I believe that my previous career as a journalist differentiates me as a teacher, especially with regards to skills, such as communication, interaction and also in the relationship with people.
I don't always follow a coursebook, as I personalise the classes for each individual student. I identify areas the student needs to improve or areas the student wants to learn, based on their goals and objectives. Sometimes, I use coursebooks as my guide, but often I use my experience and knowledge to develop classes on topics and subjects of interest.
In our consultation, I will ask you what your hobbies, interests and goals are and how I can help you. I will constantly evaluate you during our classes so I can better create dynamic classes to suit you. I like to use authentic materials such as BBC or CNN articles and YouTube videos - as these are more natural and 'real-world'.
I also speak Portuguese so I know what it is like to be 'on the other side', so to speak. This enables me to be more patient, empathetic and driven to do my best as a teacher.
BUSINESS ENGLISH, GENERAL ENGLISH, AVIATION ENGLISH, ENGLISH FOR EXAMS (IELTS, CPE, TOEFL, TOEIC), TRAVEL ENGLISH
I am a Cambridge CELTA-qualified (Pass B) Native British English Teacher from Newcastle in England, who has been teaching for over 7 years. I lived and taught in South Korea for 3 years, eventually gaining promotion to Head Instructor of my academy in Seoul. I then moved to Brazil, where I continued my teaching and education learning and development. I am now again living in the UK.
A career highlight of mine has been teaching Aviation English to Air France pilots and several business executives from Disneyland Paris and Pole Emploi in France.
I have taught individuals and groups, in companies, schools, private homes and online. I have taught at all levels, from absolute beginner to advanced. As well as teaching Travel, General, Business, IT and Conversational English, I have also successfully prepared students for the IELTS and TOEFL exams and for the Cambridge Proficiency Exam.
My classes are student-centred. I employ the communicative approach to teaching; using contextualization, elicitation, concept checking and other techniques studied during my CELTA course and which I continue to develop. I enjoy adopting the visual approach to learning, but can adapt myself to any student’s needs or wants. If a student can improve 100 things by 1%, they are well on their way to achieving their goals.
I have travelled widely across the world and lived in four different countries. This allows me to understand my students’ different cultures and background, as well as procuring a vast knowledge of the world and its affairs. I can then make classes or individual activities more culturally relevant to my students.
I am a qualified Journalist (with a degree in Journalism), with experience in Business Journalism, world affairs - with a particular focus on Latin America, mainly Brazil, where I have spent a lot of time working, travelling and studying – and travel writing. I also ran and wrote for my own travel website (going2rio.com).
I love to learn languages myself and continue to learn Portuguese – having previously studied Spanish and Korean – so I am aware of what it feels like ‘on the other side’. This enables me to retain the patience, empathy and drive required to be a successful teacher.
- Please give as much notice as possible for cancellations and reschedule requests.
- Most teachers only accept 24 hours notice. I am not like that – I will be as flexible as I can.
However, any cancellation/reschedule requests within 5 hours notice will not be able to be accommodated and will still be charged as a completed class.
- I will only reschedule the same class once.
- I will only wait in class on Skype for 30 minutes (if online). Lateness usually won’t be made up - for example, if student is 10 minutes late, the class will not be extended by 10 minutes (in most cases).
- Classes are to be paid monthly in advance. So, for example, classes for July should be paid at the start of July. This covers me in the event of last-minute cancellations.
- I will send an email at the end of each month with a summary of the classes for the following month.
- I provide all coursebooks and other lesson materials at no cost to you.
- Classes are done on Skype (if online).
I am an ambitious, experienced and CELTA-certified English Tutor with a broad range of work experience and transferable skills, having worked as a journalist and then as an English teacher in Korea, the UK and Brazil. It is this varied experience, and having acquired diverse skill sets throughout, that helps me settle quickly into new challenges, such as my rapid career progression to Head Instructor in Seoul. Another career highlight so far is teaching Aviation English to pilots from Air France.
I have travelled in order to gain invaluable life experience, empowering me to become more confident, decisive and flexible, while also enabling me to develop strengths such as independence and organisational skills. Having an international outlook can benefit ambitious, expanding companies. I also speak Portuguese – testament to my commitment to ongoing personal development.
I am now ready to take my career to the next level and apply my skills, knowledge and experience to my next challenge back in the UK.
- Freelance English Teacher, July 17 – present, São Paulo, Brazil / UK / Online.
* Specialise in Business English for Corporate clients, including teaching and consulting. Taught in-company at Wevo Teconologia, São Caetano as well as numerous private students (Brazilian and other).
* Also teach other online (individuals and groups) classes via Skype (General English, Business English, English for Specific Purposes, TOEIC, IELTS, CPE) from Beginner level to proficiency. Includes adults and children.
* Comprises group classes in schools in São Paulo, including Target Language Services and Trend School.
* I teach Business English and my own tailor-made courses, including Aviation English for Air France clients and Business English for company executives, for students through Paris-based Lingueo.
* I conduct a detailed Needs Analysis for each student in order to create a bespoke programme for their needs.
* Regular online classes for China-based Landi Subject English, teaching general subject-led English.
- Head Instructor, August 16 – May 17; English Instructor November 15 – August 16, Chungdahm Institute (CDI), Seoul, Korea. Left to return to Brazil.
* Promoted to Head Instructor after three terms. I had responsibility for 12 teachers and their ongoing learning and development. Had weekly meetings with the Director as regards strategy, curriculum and teacher recruitment, and implemented plans to maximise the students’ learning.
* Taught TOEFL test preparation classes and Masters level students (literature and project based classes).
* Prepared a team for the Asian Parliamentary Debate National Championship.
* Won quarterly award for best teacher twice.
* Fronted an advertising campaign for new, innovative classes being introduced by the academy.
* Introduced to a modern approach to learning – teaching using tablets and associated software.
- English Teacher, Sewoon Viva English Academy, Gwangju, Korea, July 14 – July 15. Left to move to Seoul.
* I planned, prepared and taught classes for a range of abilities and grades, including kindergarten, elementary school and middle school (ages 5 to 15), writing student reports every three months or so.
* Played a major part in planning the curriculum for summer and winter camps.
* Taught open classes for prospective students and their parents, and classes in front of current students’ parents. These classes were recorded to also show at parents’ evenings.
* Liaised with fellow teachers on best teaching practices for each class and implemented amendments where required – constant learning.
- Journalist / Acting Editor, Bdaily Business News, Newcastle, April 13 – April 14. Made redundant.
* Sourcing, reporting, researching and writing articles on UK Small and Medium Enterprises; issues such as acquisitions, mergers, investment, job creations/losses, politics, economics, pertinent topical and timely issues.
* Acting Editor on numerous occasions whilst Editor on holiday, undertaking all of the above as well as managing freelancers and making editorial decisions.
* Learned about maximising Search Engine Optimization, analysis of content through Google Analytics, and the value and utilisation of social media for business and media.
* Attracting and managing columnists and contributors, and editing and proofreading submissions.
* Input opinion on strategy and direction of editorial team and company as a whole.
I have written extensively in a freelance journalist capacity, primarily on Latin American affairs for The Prisma in the UK, and I also ran my own Brazil travel website, going2rio.com, which I manage and write for.
CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages): July 2017 (intensive), Pass B, Target Language Services, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Degree: Sept 03 – June 06; Second Class BA (Hons) Journalism Studies, University of Sunderland.
Modules included: Media Law, Sports Journalism, Language & Power, History of the Press, Print Journalism, Investigative Journalism, Media Ethics & Contexts, Media Studies, Feature Writing & Magazine Journalism.
Foreign Language: I speak Portuguese and have completed several courses in both Brazil and the UK.
Referees available upon request
Graham is a high-qualified English teacher and certified by CELTA English as Foreign Language School. His classes are prepared considering both my aspirations (travel, work etc) and my needs in improving some specific skill or subject. The materials he uses in classes are diverse and interesting, including songs, recent TV shows' scenes and news. In this way, he can easily approach, along a single class, topics that vary from grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and writing techniques to accents and cultural aspects of native English-speaking peoples around the World. Even his homework has a creativity appeal, such as parodies of some dialogues in movies. I feel really comfortable to ask any question I need with him during more than one and half years as his student. Thanks to his classes, my skills, namely the speaking ones, have improved as considerably as possible, so that I have been prepared to take a trip to Canada (I'm Brazilian and I had never been abroad before that trip). For these reasons, I strongly recommend having classes with him.
I've felt constant progress since I started having classes with Graham. His classes are always well organised and planned with topics that are often interesting. The improvements in my pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary are noticeable.
Hello. It is my pleasure to strongly recommend Graham on Superprof. During our time together this school year, Graham always adapted his vocabulary and accent to gave me the best lesson; In additon Graham has a really positive attitude, open minded and flexible. I think I improved a lot and he would be a huge resource for your English lessons thanks to his great teaching abilities. You will enjoy it! Regards, Sébastien (France)
The best teacher I've ever had. Graham is a hard-working dedicated teacher with incomparable talent and engagement to bring out the best from his students. His positive attitude and excellent work motivate everyone who's around. It is noticeable that he can easily deal with any type of student from different cultures and backgrounds, which makes him a very in-demand teacher. His commitment and passion turn every class into a big pleasure for anyone.
Graham is great teacher who explains things really well and clearly. He also made it fun and interesting to learn! I definetely recommend him to anyone who is studying English.
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest business english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, IELTS lessons for all!
Taking TOEFL lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|