As an experienced English tutor I offer support to students looking to improve their prospects in national and independent school English exams, including the 11+, 13+, GCSE and A-Level.
Tuition is always tailored to each student's needs, from short courses prioritising exam technique, to extended study that will broaden the student's appreciation of English more generally – giving them the confidence and depth of knowledge necessary to excel in the challenging interviews required by private schools and leading universities.
I'm an experienced English tutor based in the heart of Chelsea. I teach students of all levels, from 11+ through GCSE to A2, as well as working with adults. I am familiar with both SATs and independent schools' entrance exams. I have a Trinity (TESOL), TEFL qualification, DBS certificate and experience of working in Hong Kong schools. I have been a tutor for four years and have also worked on behalf of several of London's best regarded tutoring agencies.
I can host lessons for up to eight students, or travel locally.
While I specialise in teaching English, I teach all subjects to 11+, and other subjects (including History and Classical Civilization) to GCSE.
I also teach ten week courses in Creative Writing for adults that closely follow the course design of the Masters course at the University of East Anglia (the leading UK course, other graduates include Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro, Anne Enright, Joe Dunthorne, Rose Tremain, Tracy Chevalier, Adam Foulds, Anjali Joseph, Naomi Wood, Christie Watson, Tadzio Koelb and many others).
Continuing Freelance Tutoring
• English: All levels, from 11+ through GCSE to A2, and adults. Classes and 1-2-1. Bespoke full course programmes. Testimonies for over 30 students available. Specialist in preparation for UK private school interviews and Common Entrance examinations.
• Signed to leading UK agencies: Keystone, Ivy Education, Holland Park Tuition, Bespoke Tuition, Fulham Study, Griffin & Bell, Greater London Education, Athena Tuition.
1/11/14- 31/7/16 The World Weekly
• Researching and writing articles for publication, including cover stories, features, daily newswire and interviews including political analysis, science and technology, finance and economics.
Continuing Ongoing Freelance Journalism
Online: Whatsonstage.com, onestoparts.com, spoonfed.co.uk, totallytheatre.com, remotegoat.com, O2O.com, Pocketgamer.co.uk, thirdestate.com, City Trust.
Print: City AM, The Economist, Richmond and Twickenham Times, Ilford Recorder, Hounslow and Brentford Times, Chiswick Times.
Books: Teaching English Abroad, 2008.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
2005-2007 Chatteris Educational Foundation, Hong Kong
Secondary School Teacher
• Taught at Kiangsu-Chekiang College, Sha Tin students in forms 4-7 (15-19yrs) spoken English for HKCEE and A-Level Examination.
1/9/18 - University of Warwick
• PhD Sociology (part-time)
• Analysing the cultural impact of technological innovations, emergence of new ontologies and implications for national & transnational governance.
1/9/10-31/8/12 College of Law, Bloomsbury
• Graduate Diploma in Law (Part-time)
• Legal Method, Criminal Law, Public Law, Contract Law, Tort, Land Law, EU Law, Equity & Trusts.
1/4/09-31/8/09 NSW Journalism Training, London, United Kingdom
• NCTJ-accredited 6 months Newspaper Journalism Diploma
• Media Law, Public Administration
• Portfolio of published news stories
1/9/07-31/8/08 University of East Anglia
• MA Creative Writing (Prose)
1/9/01- 31/5/05 University of St Andrews
• MA (Hons) English Literature 1st
• Award for Best Undergraduate Dissertation in the School of English
1/6/05- 31/8/05 St Mary’s College, University of Surrey
• Trinity TESOL Certificate
1/9/95-31/5/00 Eton College
• A levels: English Literature, Ancient Greek, Modern History, Latin, Mathematics, General Studies
• AS level: Classical Civilization
• GCSE: 8 at [A*] 3 at [A]
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest 11+ school exam preparation lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking 13 plus lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|