I am a very enthusiastic teacher, I have volunteered at a refugee centre for 2 years in teaching English and thought English at a local school for a year in Malaysia. I would be interested in teaching enthusiastic students of higher age. Due to my extensive one-on-one teaching experience, my teaching method changes from person to person to satisfy their needs. Personally, I find Chemistry to be a logical and visual subject, but I would really like the challenge of utilizing aural, verbal or physical teaching methods. The fundamentals and basic understanding is very important in learning new concepts, as well as heavily involving examples and practices. For GCSE and A-Level students, practice past papers and guidance in problem-solving is essential. Research shows a lot of positive results in inquiry-based learning, which is something I would incorporate into my lessons. This can be done by questioning real-life processes using a chemical framework and understanding these processes thusly.
I am a student of Green Chemistry and Sustainable technologies at the University of York, studying at a Master's level. I have already completed a BSc in Chemistry and Business Management from the University of Birmingham. I've previously held a research internship at the Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence. Furthermore, I worked at the Physical Science editor at my university's science magazine and published many Chemistry related articles.
Extra charges for elaborate study materials and 1-day notice for cancellation. Flexibility will apply upon circumstance.
BSc in Chemistry with Business Management, University of Birmingham 2016-2019
MSc in Green Chemistry and Sustainable Technologies, University of York 2019-2020
Positions of Responsibility
Science and Technology News and Views Magazine (SATNAV) Physical Science Editor and Writer, April 2018-2019, University of Birmingham
• Physical Science Editor for SATNAV 2018-2019
• Edited and fact-checked several articles for three issues of the magazine
• Published multiple articles on topics of material’s chemistry, solar panels and notable chemists
Secretary of WISE (Women in Science and Engineering Society) April 2018-2019, University of Birmingham
• Coordinating WISE events throughout the year
• Managing WISE netball team
• Winner of Member of the Year Award 2017-2018
Volunteer English Teacher, Student Action for Refugee (STAR), 2017-2019
• Visited the Refugee Council in Birmingham every week to teach refugees from all over the world English at a beginner and intermediate level
Undergraduate Research Internship, Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence, University of York, July-September 2018
• Conducted literature, experimental and computational research looking into the applications of the green alternative to dipolar aprotic solvents, Cyrene
• Conducted experiments to test cyrene’s ability as a hydrotrope in solubilising drugs and a co-solvent in Suzuki reactions
RB Challenge, 2017 Reckitt Benckiser, University of Birmingham
• Produced a video advertisement for the RB’s Scholl Fungal Treatment in a group of other chemistry students
• Incorporated our chemistry and biology knowledge within the advertisement by making a model of the fundamental mechanism of the elimination of the fungus due to each of its ingredients through a Chess metaphor to make it relatable to a non-scientific audience
• Added an element of drama within the advertisement as well as producing high-quality audio and visuals
• Presented the detailed mechanism of the treatment and the idea behind our advertisement to representatives from RB, classmates, and lecturers
• Won the 3rd Price for the 2017 RB Challenge Birmingham
English Teacher, 2013-2015, Pusat Jagaan Lambaian Kasih Orphanage Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Collaborated with a classmate and constructed and implemented an English language curriculum
• Designing assignments and activities for children (ages 8-12) with little to no background in English
Interests: sustainability, running, reading, education
Languages: Fluent and highly proficient in English, Urdu and a beginner in Mandarin Chinese and Russian
Perfect! Marriyum is an excellent chemistry tutor and clearly puts a lot of effort into preparing each lesson. She is an enthusiastic teacher and a lovely easy going and friendly person. I would highly recommend.
The student is extremely passionate, hardworking and kind. It's a pleasure to teach her and watch her Chemistry skills grow seamlessly.
Marriyum is a very friendly, patient, knowledgeable and approachable tutor. I highly recommend her services.
Marriyum is a great chemistry tutor! She’s very enthusiastic, creative and will make your lesson super interesting because chemistry is her passion :)
Marriyum has a strong academic background in Chemistry as a recent graduate. Marriyum is great at explaining complex concepts within the discipline of Chemistry and has a great passion for the subject.
Marriyum has taught English with us for over two years on a voluntary basis, with our student society which helps asylum seekers integrate into Birmingham, and is truly an asset to our team. She is reliable, patient, and good at explaining difficult concepts, as well as bringing a great amount of enthusiasm and a friendly face to our sessions! We were sad to see her go but wish her well in her endeavours after graduating!
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, organic chemistry lessons for all!
Taking thermodynamics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|