Everyone's different. If a student wants to learn grades I encourage them to do regular practice, half an hour a day. If somebody wants to do rock and pop I teach them different techniques. For a jazz student I would teach them improvisation techniques and chord patterns and changes.
I am an experienced pianist who can play a broad range of styles. I enjoy passing on my skills to beginners as well as advanced students. It's never too late to learn, whatever stage of life you are at!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach piano from beginners up to grade 8. I also teach students who want to learn how to play jazz and pop music. I can coach players who would like to expand both there repertoire and improvisation. Either for solo performances, bands or accompanying. This would also include:
Song writing, Composition, Recording.
I am able to teach on keyboards for beginners.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have A.L.C.M Music Diploma, London College of Music
Grade 8 piano and theory
- How much do you charge?
£20 for half an hour
£30 for an hour. 10% discount off for a whole terms fee paid upfront.
£10 travel expenses.
- Where do you teach?
Primarily at home, but I am prepared to travel within the Bristol area
- When are you available?
Daytime and evenings.
Available during term times and also during school holidays, if requested.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Beginners to adults.
All levels and abilities.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
Grades 1 to 8. ABRSM Exam board for the Royal School of Music.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I currently use FaceTime and Microsoft Meetings for online teaching. I can also use Zoom and Skype for keyboard and piano lessons. If you prefer a different app I can try it.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I am currently teaching online.
I have over 25 years of teaching and performing experience. I have coached students through their grades. I have also encouraged students in developing their aural skills as well as their music and sight reading abilities. I have taught students how to play jazz and pop music - helping to develop chord structures and composition ideas. This also includes helping them with their theory skills.
I have coached advanced players who wish to play at functions and solo performances. This would also include students who wished to accompany singers and play in bands.
I have accompanied singers and instrumentalists for exams, auditions and concerts.
I am familiar with working with young people and have been a music teaching assistant in a secondary school, working with Yr 7- 11 students, and also Music GCSE students.
I have composed music for television and theatre, and played in bands that have produced 4 CDs.
Performed solo piano at weddings and functions and concerts, playing in two function bands. I also co-ordinate and lead a worship band in an Anglican church.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I am currently teaching aural skills to a 7 year old by learning theme tunes and songs. This student is learning to read music through "Play Time" piano book series.
I recently coached a pupil through their Grade 2.
I coached an adult student to play at a wedding.
I am a self-employed solo pianist currently playing at weddings, functions and in piano bars. I play for theatre, comedy as well as radio and television sessions. I am an accompanist, for singers, instrumentalists and exam candidates.
I am also a private piano teacher. I teach children as well as adults from Classical through to Jazz and pop. I have also taught A.B.R.S.M grades with a good pass rate.
Skillbase and achievements
• Recorded piano for a film produced by the Old Vic Theatre school
• Accompanied for a community singing group called "Trouts and Tiddlers "
• Accompanied for 3 "Anti Brexit " Theatre shows at the Alma Tavern Theatre
• Composed original music for a Theatre production called "The Provoked Wife" at Kings Weston House.
• Organist at All Saints Long Ashton Church
• Accompanying a choir director at All Saints Long Ashton Church
• Played piano for the worship group and organ at St Luke’s Parish Church Barton Hill
• Played for Fresh Arts organised events at Southmead Hospital
• Visual pianist for the William Golding website
• Currently play for a Jazz duo
• Currently play keyboards for a Soul / pop band called the Regz
• Accompanied and led and co–ordinated the worship group and played the organ at St Mary Magdalene Church Stoke Bishop
• played keyboards in a rock covers band ( The Eskys)*
• Recorded CD of original music with Teresa Roberts (Another Time)
• Regularly played keyboards for a soul band (Gee Baby I Love You)
Regularly played keyboards in One Step Below (a Madness Tribute Band who played Ashton Court Festival, Bristol in 2003)
• Plays improvised keyboards in Instant Wit (an improvised comedy show based on "Who's line is it anyway?"(since 1992)
• Played keyboards in Kingsdown Jazz/Pop function band
• Played keyboards in Bowmanghani eclectic/world music
• Piano and percussion accompaniment for “O what a lovely war” musical by performing arts college students
• Piano accompanist for Timsbury musical theatre group
• Piano accompanist for silent movie film nights
• Keyboard accompanist for avant garde Movieoke film nights
• Solo performance at the Cube, Bristol
• Composed music for The Big Breakfast TV show
• Composed theme for The National Lottery programme
• Composed music for “Sean the Sheep” storyboard (Aardman Animations)
• Composed music for “Clara” a play set in the 1960’s
• Composed music for “A dozen red roses” a contemporary play about dating
• Played drums for a school musical "The Miracle man"
• Keyboards in a Big Jazz Swing band
• Played Keyboards for a Contemporary Big Band
• Devised and delivered percussion workshops for children at Avril Dankworth Music Camp
• Accompanying Improvisation theatre workshops at Ustinov Theatre
• Instant Wit workshop at University of Bristol
• Played keyboard in Circus (original rock band, toured in 1990’s , recorded three albums*)
Present day : Private piano tuition and freelance musician .
Organist at All Saints Parish Church Long Ashton
• Playing for church services as well as weddings and funerals
• Accompanying and working with a choir director
2009 to August 2015 St Mary Magdalene Church. Worship Co–ordinator
Also private piano teaching and freelance musician.
2006 to 2010 Teaching Assistant in Music Department at St Bernadette’s Catholic School. Working with Yr 7- 11 Students. Also Music GCSE students
• Teaching composition
• Piano accompaniment for singers and instrumentalists
• Conductor/co-ordinator “in charge “ of mass band
• Working on musicals/performance
2002 to 2005 Teaching Assistant/ Piano accompanist at the Bristol Steiner School
Piano accompaniment for Eurhythmy classes
One to one piano tuition
1999 to 2002 Piano teacher at The Bristol Cathedral School
• Teaching jazz piano
• Piano accompaniment for exams
• In charge of a rock band
During this period I was also a self-employed pianist. I played regular sessions at Renatos, Harry Ramsdens, the Mauretania restaurant, Tin Pan Louies, The Pineapple Pub, Aztec West Hotel.
1995 to 1999 Sales Assistant (Part-time) at JCR News, Queens Road Bristol
• Dealing with customers
• Operating the till
• Delivering papers
1992 to 1995 Self-employed musician
• Playing piano in hotels.
• Key board player for Circus (original rock band )
• Recorded 3 albums
2007 Flexi Administration and ITQ ( NVQ Level 2) , City of Bristol College
2000 to 2001 CLAIT (City and Guilds in Computer Literacy and Information Technology)
1991 to 1993 BTEC Performing Arts, City of Bath College
1989 ALCM Diploma in Music ( private tuition )
1985 to 1988 Attended London College of Music : Grade 8 Piano, Grade 8 Theory, Grade 4 Organ
1983 to 1988 Fairfield Grammar School, Bristol : GCSE Music Grade B
Hobbies and Interests
Walking, Table Tennis, Theatre, Archery, Live Music. Church activities, member of a housegroup. Played piano with Elemental Team at Glastonbury Festival. Avant garde performance at the Cube.
Trinity centre ….September 2007 Administration duties.
The Arnolfini ….April 2007. Research into artists. Admin duties.
(Details on request)
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|