I adopted the Research Informed Teaching (RIT) approach, which I used to share with my students research-based facts related to the lectures’ contents, to empower my students to become leaders and agents of change, and to develop strategies that enhance the synergies between research and student education by encouraging my student’s skills and abilities to lead their research projects.
Being a PhD Entomologist, i have been giving lessons to small groups (6) at home since 6 months. I also have been in a research field for two years regarding conducting trials in laboratory and field to protect the crops from pests.
An effective communicator at all levels, good problem solving, analytical and organizational skills, and highly motivated either in a team or working on own initiative.
Ph.D. (Agri. Entomology)
Doctoral Degree in Crop Science
Focus Area: Thermal Response, Chemical Control, Wolbachia, Cold treatment, SWD; Fruit quality, Shelf life, Soft fruits, Integrated Pest Management
Dipartimento Di Agronomia, Animali, Alimenti, Risorse Naturali E Ambiente (DAFNAE)
Università Degli Studi di Padova, Italy Jan 2014-Apr 2018
Master of Science, Agri. Entomology (MSC)
Focus Area: Residual efficacy, Stored grain pests, Integrated Pest Management, Diatomaceous earth (Grain-Guard), Metarhizium anisopliae, Thiamethoxam, Deltamethrin
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan Sep 2009-Sep 2011
Bachelor of Science in Agri. Entomology (B.Sc Hons)
Focus Area: Insect Ecology, Insect Taxonomy, Insect Morphology, Insect Behaviour, Stored Grain Pest Management, Plant Resistance to Insect Pests, Pest Forecasting and Pest Management, Insecticides and their Applications, Agricultural Insect Pests, Household Insect Pests.
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan Sep 2005-Jun 2009
Research Assistant (January 2014 – September 2019)
Dipartimento Di Agronomia, Animali, Alimenti, Risorse Naturali E Ambiente (DAFNAE)
Università Degli Studi di Padova, Italy
“Strategies to develop effective, innovative and practical approaches to protect major European fruit crops from pests and pathogens”
To elucidate whether temperature and Wolbachia infection affected the fitness of D. suzukii.
To reveal that temperature alters the response to insecticide in D. suzukii.
To check the influence of short cold temperature exposures on the development of D. suzukii infested fruits.
Agriculture Research Officer (July 2012 – December 2013)
Entomological Research Institute
Ayub Agriculture Research Institute, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Assessment of new promising insecticides against Phenococcus solenopsis.
Evaluation of plant based extracts to manage the Sitobion avenae in Wheat Ecosystem.
Cultural control of Sitobian avenae by strips of different crops in wheat field.
Efficacy of different group of insecticides against Diaphorina citri.
Lethal effect of three neonecotinoids as seed treatment to control the Sitobion avenae.
Conducting surveys to search out the Alternate host plant of wheat aphid throughout the year.
Find out the insecticidal toxicity to the emergence of parasitoid from lab and field population of Phenococcus solenopsis.
Dengue campaign by conducting surveys of different area in Pakistan, evaluation, diagnosis of sources and their reduction using
• Elimination of breeding sites
• Use of chemical larvicides
• Biological control
• Other vector control interventions (Fogging, personal protection measures, sterile male release and genetic modification of malaria vectors).
Research Assistant (Feb 2010 – Feb 2011)
Department of Agri. Entomology
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Check the potency of new enhanced diatomaceous earth formulation against C. ferrugineus, R. dominica, T. castaneum and L. paeta on different grain commodities namely wheat, rice, maize and sorghum.
Assess the combined use of new enhanced diatomaceous earth with Metarhizium anisopliae at different doses against adults of stored grain pests.
Check the persistence of diatomaceous earth formulation consecutively for the period of 120 days.
Evaluate the influence of other issues for instance exposure intervals and dose rates both on the efficiency of Diatomaceous earth and Metarhizium anisopliae
Ph.D. Thesis title: “Interactions between temperature and environmental variables in Drosophila suzukii”. In Dipartimento Agronomia Animali Alimenti Risorse Naturali e Ambiente (DAFNAE), Università degli Studi di Padova, Italy (Supervisor: Prof. Nicola Mori).
Master Thesis title: “Residual efficacy of newly enhanced Diatomaceous earth and Metarhizium anisopliae against Liposcelis paeta, Cryptolestes ferrugineus, Rhyzopertha dominica and Tribolium castaneum on Stored Grains Commodities” in Department of Entomology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan (Supervisors: Ass.Prof. Waqas Wakil, Prof. Shahbaz Talib Sahi).
1. Farooq M. Zhu X, Shakeel M, Iftikhar A, Shahid M, Saeed N and Arain M, (2019), “Comparative analysis of the demographic parameters of seven spotted ladybird beetle (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) reared on various host aphid species”, PeerJ - the Journal of Life and Environmental Sciences, DOI 10.7717/peerj.8313.
2. Saeed N, Battisti A, Martinez I, Mori N, (2018), “Combined effect of temperature and Wolbachia infection on the fitness of Drosophila suzukii”, Bulletin of Insectology, 71(2): 161-169.
3. Saeed N, Tonina L, Battisti A, Mori N, (2018), “Postharvest short cold temperature treatment to preserve fruit quality after Drosophila suzukii damage”, International Journal of Pest Management, DOI: 10.1080/(concealed information)18.1539531.
4. Saeed N, Tonina L, Mori N, Battisti A, (2018). “Temperature stress alters the response to insecticide efficacy in invasive pest Drosophila suzukii”, Journal of Economic Entomology, 111(3): 1306-1312.
5. Saeed N, Farooq M, Shakeel M, Ashraf A, (2018), “Effectiveness of an improved form of insecticide-based diatomaceous earth against four stored grain pests on different grain commodities”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25(17): 17(concealed information)
6. Ashraf A, Farooq M, Shakeel M, Din M, Hussain S, Saeed N, Shakeel Q, Rajput NA, (2017), “Influence of entomopathogenic fungus, Metarhizium anisopliae, alone and in combination with diatomaceous earth and thiamethoxam on mortality, progeny production, mycosis, and sporulation of the stored grain insect pests”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(36): 28(concealed information)
7. Saeed N, Mori N, Battisti A and Ashraf M, (2016), “Effect of Brassica napus, Medicago sativa, Trifolium alexandrinum and Allium sativum strips on the population dynamics of Sitobean avenae and predators in wheat ecosystem”, Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies 4(2): 178-182.
8. Abbas, M., Saleem M, Saleem HM, Hafeez F, Hussain D, Ghaffar A, Farooq M, Saeed N, Ashraf M, (2013), “Population dynamics of citrus leafminer, Phyllocnistis citrella Stainton, and its control on citrus in nursery and orchard in Faisalabad Wudpecker”, Journal of Agricultural Research, 2(6):183-188.
RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS REVISED AND RESUBMITTED
1. Saeed N, Farooq M, Shakeel M, Ashraf M, (2019), “Integrated effect of Metarhizium anisopliae and Commercial Preparation Grain-Guard on the Stored Grain Pests” Asia-Pacific Entomology.
2. Farooq M, Shakeel M, Saeed N, (2019), “Comparative demography of lady-beetle Coccinella septempunctata Linnaeus (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) reared on different aphid species” Scientific Reports.
PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATION IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDING
1. Wakil W, Riasat T, Saeed N, Ashraf M, Yasin M, (2012), “Fumigant activity of some essential oils against four major insect pests of stored grains. In: S. Navarro, H.J. Banks, D.S. Jayas, C.H. Bell, R.T. Noyes, A.G. Ferizli, M. Emekci, A.A. Isikber, K. Alagusundarum, (eds.)” Proc 9th Int. Conf. on controlled atmosphere and fumigation in stored products. Antalya Turkey, 15-19th October.
POSTER PUBLICATION IN CONFERENCE
1 Saeed N, Mori N, Battisti A, (2016), “Effect of entomopathogenic fungus integrated with a commercial preparation on the mortality, mycosis and sporulation of stored grain pests”, XXV Italian National Congress of Entomology Padua 20-24 June, University of Padova, Italy.
1. Saeed N, Wakil W, Ashraf M, 2012. Management of Stored Grain Pests. Lambert Academic Publisher.
1. Saeed N, Wakil W, Ashraf M, 2013. Identification and isolation of Endophytic fungi from Brassica and its mediated defense. International Seminar on Entomological challenges in Pakistan and their sustainable management, March 20, 2013.
2. Saleem HM, Din N, Saeed N, Nadeem I, Ahmad R, Yousaf J, Malik H, Niaz T, 2013. Thrips tabaci (Thripidae: Thysanoptera) A Menace for onion crop in Punjab, Pakistan. Proceeding of 23rd congress of zoology from 2nd to 3rd April, Islamabad.
3. Saeed N, Wakil W, Ashraf M, 2013. Effect of integration of insecticide based new enhanced diatomaceous earth (DE) with Metarhizium anisopliae on the mortality, mycosis and sporulation of the stored grain pest. International Seminar on Entomological challenges in Pakistan and their sustainable management, March, 2013.
4. Saeed N, Wakil W and Ashraf M, 2013. Effect of Brassica, Berseem, Alfalfa and Garlic strips on the population dynamics of aphid and predators in wheat ecosystem. International Seminar on Entomological challenges in Pakistan and their sustainable management, March, 2013.
5. Ashraf M, Saeed N, Hafeez F, Ghaffar A, Farooq M and Abbas M, 2013. Distribution of Sitobion avenae with in wheat field. International Seminar on Entomological challenges in Pakistan and their sustainable management, March, 2013.
RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS WORKING PAPERS
• Ecological interaction of entomopathogenic fungi and Bacteria in Drosophila suzukii
• Use of UV radiations on the fitness traits of Drosophila suzukii
• Influence of temperature on the efficacy of plant oils against Drosophila suzukii
• Teaching Assistant (September 2009 / August 2011)
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Integrated Pests Management
During my teaching assistant career, I have co-delivered two postgraduate level modules at University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
1. Funding Award by University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan, (2009-2011), for Master Degree Program (MSC) at Department of Entomology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
2 Funding Award by University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan, (2005-2009), for Bachelor Degree Program (BSC) at Department of Entomology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
3 Awarded certification of excellence getting 2nd position during Master Degree Program (Sep 2011), at Department of Entomology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
4 Certificate of Appreciation for Active Participation In The Training Workshop On Sustainable Management of Insect Pests Of Fruits With Special Reference To Citrus Through Modern Protection And Postharvest-Losses-Reduction Techniques (2010)
RESEARCH TRAININGS AND SEMINAR ATTENDED
1. Dr. Myron Zalucki 2016, “Theory of insect distribution” from University of Queensland, Australia.
2. Dr. Myron Zalucki, 2016, “Evolution of Insect-Plant Interactions. 1. Herbivorous insect rule”, from University of Queensland, Australia.
3. Dr. Myron Zalucki, 2016, “Evolution of Insect-Plant Interactions. 2. Plant defenses against insect attack”, from University of Queensland, Australia.
4. Francesco Pennacchio, 2016 "Immunity, stress and health of bees" Federico II University in Naples.
5. Nunzio Isidoro, 2016 “The antennas Hymenoptera parasitoids: functional adaptations of multimodal appendages”. Polytechnic University of Marche.
6. Prof. Rana Ashfaq, (2010) “Sustainable Management of Insect Pests Of Fruits With Special Reference To Citrus Through Modern Protection And Postharvest-Losses-Reduction Techniques”, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan.
1. Statistical software - Extensive experience of analyzing data with high usage of SPSS, MINITAB, STATA.
2. Research Methods and analysis - Extensive experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods and analysis.
3. IT/computer literacy – expert in all Microsoft products, Access, advance Excel Dashboard experience, SPSS, STATA, Mini-Tab.
4. Team work – Good team player with lots of examples where I have demonstrated the following skills to achieve my objectives - supportive, good facilitator, well organized, deliverer, imaginative, delegator, open-minded.
5. Interpersonal skills – I am a good listener, adviser and counselor alongside being politically aware, an initiator, and professional, co-operative individual.
6. Leadership – I am a dynamic, motivator, team-builder, confidence booster, energetic, capable, outward looking, accountable, visionary.
• One year maternal leave obtained during PhD (Sep 2014 – Aug 2015)
• One year maternal leave (August 2018 – August 2019)
INTERESTS, ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS IN SPORTS
1. Adventures travelling.
3. Listening good music and watching movies.
4. Playing several games.
5. Certificate of Excellence in Annual Sports Gala 2008 on getting 2nd position in Cycling.
6. Certificate of Excellence in Annual Sports Gala 2008 on getting 1st position in Tug of War.
7. Certificate of Excellence in Annual Sports Gala 2008 on getting 2nd position in 400m Race.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£15||Not available||Not available|