I make sure I am well prepared, I have interesting little notes prepared for the student, I try and illustrate what I am teaching - I get past exam paper questions and answers related to the topic - I will also set similar questions to past paper questions
I have been working as a teaching assistant at the University of Manchester for 3 years
I was tutoring privately in Doncaster (A level students/chemistry)
I was working as a lab-assistant during my BsC degree
I used to help my brother during his GCSE and A level studies (He is currently a lawyer)
If it is GCSE, I will charge 10 pounds whereas above prices are for A level - also for GCSE, I will charge - for block lessons - it will be 45 pounds for 5 hours and 90 pounds for 10 hours
A detailed-orientated, well organized, confident, motivated, and innovative PHD graduate with consolidated experience in research and development of new products in essential oils industry and valorisation of citrus peel waste through isolation of key components, whilst developing key analytical techniques such as GC, GC/MS, HPLC, LC/MS, UV/vis, SEM and FTIR. Willing and determined to get a job in research and development as currently have further developed research skills, scientific and analytical knowledge as well as communication and organizational skills gained through past experiences and PHD. When giving the opportunity, will use own initiative and work in a fast-paced environment and have a highly developed ability to stay focused when the pressure rises to meet challenging objectives. Also have a track-record of helping to resolve customer questions. If given the opportunity, I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to show you how I could make sure the first impression people have of your business is a positive one.
PHD in Chemical Engineering, University of Manchester 2015-2018
Thesis Title: Valorization of orange peel waste through deterpenation of essential oils and isolation of polyphenolic antioxidants and limonene using sustainable solvents (funded by EPSRC)
• Identification of many useful components such as flavonoids; essential oils and antioxidants in citrus peels, which can be used in food, flavor, pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries
• Solid-liquid extraction of essential oils and polyphenolic compounds using novel green, sustainable solvents to replace toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs), & optimization of extraction conditions
• Liquid-liquid extraction to separate terpenes from terpenoids in essential oils (i.e. deterpenation) to isolate valuable components and propose efficient solvents with improved properties for downstream processing of citrus EO
• Validation of experimental system to the ones obtained on the prediction tool i.e. COnductor like Screening Model for Real solvents (COSMO-RS) by investigating phase behaviors.
• Thermodynamic study of solute behavior in various solvents by studying sigma (σ) profiles and excess enthalpies of mixing using COSMO-RS.
During my PhD I have also led seminars, supervised undergraduates in the laboratory, acted as a health and safety representative, and invigilated exams.
Research Interests: My focus is mainly on extraction technologies, working with green extraction solvents (bio-derived DES) to enhance sustainability and extract components with high profile. Furthermore, thermodynamically analyze proposed green solvents to understand occurring interactions further.
University of Bradford, MChem Chemistry
Upper second-class honors (69% overall) 2011-2015
The Armthorpe School- Doncaster
A levels: Business Studies (B), Chemistry (D), Mathematics (D)
GCSE levels :(3A*s, 10As, 3Bs, 1C and 1D) including English and Mathematics 2007-2011
Barth Innovations, Paddock Wood October 2018-Ongoing Research Chemist
Joined this team very recently just after finishing off my PHD, to work as a research chemist in an innovation centre mainly focusing on flavor improvements by changing production processes. First project involved working closely with molecular distillation and hydrodistillation techniques to extract hop oil with better oil composition by limiting degradation and product loss. Current trials have improved the yields from 56% to 70%. The analysis involved use of GC-FID and GC-MS, to investigate how chemical composition changes with developed processes. For sensory analysis, aroma/flavor changes were detected by getting a trained panel (Germany) to taste before the product is ready to be sent out to the customers. Also working in producing flavor rich products by running hop oils through column chromatography and removing esters to leave behind alcohols and ketones.
Furthermore, internally, trainings were arranged to train others in the company for improving sensory analysis as this could potentially lead to setting up trained panel within the company.
Doncaster March 2017-October 2018
I was tutoring A-level and GCSE chemistry students over the weekend to assist them with their various complicated assignments. I explained topics they find challenging in easy-to-understand language with help from online videos, example answers and simplified notes to help them improve their grades. Two of the students managed to get into the university they wanted by increasing their marks in 6 months to do their dream subjects.
University of Manchester, Manchester January 2016-July 2018 Teaching Assistant
Within this current job I am demonstrating experimental work in undergraduate labs and revising the theoretical work with the students. By assessing the outcome of learning through interviewing them on 1 to 1 basis and marking the calculation-based questions, I have improved the overall marks to around
University of Manchester, Manchester January 2016-July 2018 Invigilator
During January and June exams I am supervising students taking exams, ensuring exams run smoothly. I am also completing relevant forms accurately to make sure exam board can keep track of the student examination, which improved my attention to detail further. Making relevant announcements for students to complete the exam under specified rules gave me further confidence.
University of Manchester, Manchester May 2016-May 2018 MAP (Manchester Access Program) tutor
The University of Manchester provided an opportunity for local year 12 students to improve their coursework grades by getting postgraduate researchers to teach them how to write reports more effectively. This great opportunity enabled me to meet students on 1 to 1 basis, choose a chemistry topic that we both found interesting and challenging, do the research on this topic and report back. From 12 students that I had, 4 of them were keen on studying chemistry at university as their topic has gained their interest and 8 out of 12 scored marks over 80% due to finding 1 to 1 talks very informative and interesting.
RcTreatt, Bury St Edmunds July 2014-July 2015 Research and Development Intern
During this internship, my main duty was to carry out research on carotenoids present in orange waste residue to extract and purify them for further use, mainly using chromatographic extractions due to carotenoids being very unstable to light and oxygen as they contain long system of conjugated double
bonds. Thereby, when extracting these components use of low temperature and antioxidant is advisable and therefore their isolation was most practical with column chromatography.
Furthermore, within the team I have completed many projects such as preparing new flavor and fragrance formulations with varying essential oils and presented formulations to sales department, where around 80% was sent to customers and was approved by them. The analysis of various concentrations of essential oils on GC-MS for identification and quantification of components further improved my analytical skills. I have also worked closely with operations to investigate scale-up processes, possibility, challenges and solutions to overcome occurring issues.
The Armthorpe School, Doncaster June-July 2013 Lab Assistant
During my university study, I had free time where I went back to my old school to help out students with their chemistry lab and theoretical work. I have improved grades of some students (C-B) by giving them tips on how to answer some of the exam questions. I have maintained safe working environment in labs by applying health and safety knowledge gained during my undergraduate study.
Pharmacy Plus, Wakefield May-June 2013
Two weeks work experience in this place has helped to observe lab technicians and assistants during the development, packaging and distribution of drugs, to see theoretical knowledge gained in practice. I have shadowed assistants whilst they were preparing reports, entering information into a database, and ordering equipment and supplies and observed technicians as they were reviewing test runs, maintenance and quality control.
Zest Bar and Grill, Doncaster June 2009- 2011
Communication skills gained during this part time job have helped me to promote from being a waitress to head waitress in 6 months’ time where I have dealt with aggravated customers in a calm and polite way. I have developed leadership skills by training productive and customer-service-oriented employees and delegated tasks to make sure everything ran smoothly.
Research and Analytical Skills
• Performed GC/MS (SPME and Headspace analysis), GC/FID, UV, HPLC and LC-MS analysis to characterize and quantify components in different systems during undergraduate study
• Performed daily checks and maintenance of GC
• Learned theoretical ideas and practical uses of SEM to characterize solid biomass before and after extraction
• Developed HPLC/UPLC methods for MChem project to characterize carotenoids
• Worked closely with X-ray diffraction, Raman and Infra-red for third year thesis to determine crystalline structures of various drugs
• Developed optimal conditions for liquid-liquid extraction and solid-liquid extraction using shaking incubators and centrifugation
• Performed Soxhlet extractions (extraction of limonene from orange peel waste) using Soxtec
• Worked closely with Production department to improve hydrodistillation and molecular distillation processes – worked in scale-up process of hydrodistillation
• Used simulation tool (COSMO-RS) for predicting thermophysical properties, phase behavior and thermodynamic study of solvent systems
• Trained on using Aspen Plus/Properties for estimation of binary interaction parameters
• Competent at using literature search software such as ACD Labs, ChemDraw, Reaxys and SciFinder
• Highly skilled at communicating scientific work in the forms of presentation, posters and written reports using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Worked with a supervisor on a PHD project and met on a regular basis
• Worked with undergraduate students and MSC students on 1 to 1 basis
• Worked with A level students through MAP scheme
• Worked with health and safety department closely as a health and safety representative
• Worked in R&D team and with sales team to provide good quality products
• Participated in many group presentations and group research projects during undergraduate study and at work
• Trained group of people to help them identify key components in flavored beers and use accurate terminology to describe aroma/flavor
• Helped an intern train a panel on how to identify mouthfeel through researching different mouthfeel enhancing components
Planning and Organizational Skills
Written two end of year thesis during PHD and met all the deadlines on time
Written Standard Operating Procedures for chemical instruments
Written risk assessments and COSHH forms for experimental work
Deterpenation of Citrus Essential Oils Using Glycerol-Based Deep Eutectic Solvents; Journal of Chemical Engineering & Data (published in emerging investigators (special edition), DOI 10.1021/acs.jced.7b00944)
Extraction of Polyphenolic Antioxidants from Orange Peel Waste using Deep Eutectic Solvents (DES); Separation and Purification Technology, (published, (concealed information)
Alkanediol-based DES for Fractionation of Terpenoids from Citrus Essential Oils: Experimental and COSMO-RS; Separation and Purification Technology, (submitted)
Valorization of Orange Peel Waste via Extraction of Limonene with Bio-based Solvents; Journal of Biochemical Engineering (submitted)
TRAININGS AND CONFERENCES
Graduate Teaching Assistant Training, University of Manchester
Aspen Properties Training, Reading
Introduction to Research Essential, University of Manchester
COSMO-RS (Simulation programme) Training, University of Manchester
Solvent Selection and Substitution: Online CPD course, University of York
Publishing Academic Papers, University of Manchester
Viva survivor, University of Manchester
IOSH Managing Safely, University of Manchester
Introduction to Brewing, Cambden BRI Nutfield site
Perkin Elmer GC Group Meeting, Beaconsfield
First Aider training, Barth Innovations Paddock Wood
Post Graduate Research Conference, School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science, University of Manchester (Poster), Won best poster award (1st year) and best oral presentation award (3rd year)
Chemical Engineering Day, University of Bath (Poster), University of Birmingham (Poster)
10th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Barcelona (Oral)
April 2018: Chemical Engineering Day, University of Leeds (Oral and Poster)
July 2018: International Symposium on Solubility Phenomena (ISSP), Tours (Oral and Poster),
Won an award for presenting one of the best posters
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, thermodynamics lessons for all!
Taking chemical physics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£13|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£65|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£130|