As an enthusiastic and passionate Physiologist, you can rest assured that will show in my sessions. My approach is very much student-led, in that I believe in acknowledging strengths and weaknesses, allowing for an effective plan of action that will lead to academic success. Tailoring sessions to student preferences and needs will prove effective. You can expect engaging and interesting sessions, with a friendly and approachable tutor in myself.
During my time at university, I have acted as a 'Student Mentor', providing pastoral and academic support to first-year students. I would meet with them every week and discuss their learning, offering my support when necessary. Although a different experience to tutoring, working in retail has proven very useful for my communication skills. Assisting different people with different queries allowed me to adapt my customer service to their needs; I would be able to do the same in terms of tutoring.
One-on-one session: £20/h
5 sessions: £60
10 sessions: £120
Possessing the ability to create a warm and approachable environment would make me an ideal tutor; such a skill will allow mentee(s) to feel comfortable when seeking support and make them want to engage with content in and out of sessions. Throughout my time in education, I have faced academic hurdles; being able to persevere and overcome these is undoubtedly an invaluable skill that I can use to academically support my mentee(s). Undertaking an Undergraduate degree has led to the fortification of my ability to organise and plan, alongside my written and verbal communication skills; all of which will prove useful when planning, organising, and delivering session content. Prior retail experience means that adopting a friendly and approachable demeanour is second nature and building rapport with others, whereby I adapt my approach to meet their needs.
Efficient verbal and written communicator
• My strong communication skills were further fortified when undertaking group assessment tasks at university; conveying and converging ideas to form the assessment required effective communication skills. Being able to interact with others and adapt my approach to understand their needs was a vital element of my previous retail role. This skill is highly transferable and is a valuable attribute for any working environment.
Effective organiser and planner
• As an undergraduate student, time management is a vital skill required to succeed. I was tasked, especially in my final year, with managing and completing multiple assignments. Achieving consistently high grades is evidence of my effective organisational skills. As a Lead Student Mentor, I successfully coordinated mentor meetings and planned student events. Additionally, my role as Student Mentor involved careful planning of meeting content, assisting with the tracking of student academic growth, and providing academic support, where possible.
Warm, approachable, and friendly
• Having worked in retail previously, creating a warm and friendly environment is second nature. Leaving those I interact with a positive experience, regardless of the situation, is vital for developing constructive relationships and satisfying their needs. As a Student Ambassador and Mentor, I was able to create a space where others feel comfortable to ask questions and seek support.
Reliable and trustworthy
• Undertaking the role of Student Mentor means that I am trusted to work with and support a group of first-year students. The role itself came with a great deal of responsibility; I provided support and correctly signposted them to the relevant people if they should need personal support that is not within the scope of my capabilities. Working in a retail environment and arriving promptly for shifts is also evidence of my reliable nature.
• Student Mentor – this role involved providing help and support to new first-year students; allowing me to fulfil my desire to help others. I met with them each week to talk through any issues, and where possible, assist with their academic growth.
• Lead Student Mentor – I was selected to act as a representative for all of the Student Mentors within the School of Science and Technology. Duties included coordinating other mentors to attend events/trips, identifying and solving issues related to mentor engagement, supporting the coordination of mentor meetings, and help promote the programme. All of these duties are transferable skills and the role proves that I am a trustworthy and reliable individual.
• Student Ambassador – Being an ambassador involves welcoming prospective students onto campus for tours on the university open days, and on the Sports Science stand. My enthusiasm and energy mean that I can create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for prospective students and their parents with ease.
Former GCSE/A-level teacher:
'Louis has always been very aware of the learning process and understands that students often have to learn skills as well as content. He is very hard-working and will be very well-prepared for sessions. In addition he is an empathetic person whom learners will find approachable and understanding. Having taught him for 4 years, I know that Louis enjoys learning himself and is someone who often varied his approach and set himself targets. He will be able to transfer this skill to others. He is patient and communicates clearly. I recommend him unconditionally'
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||£20|