French native speaker and tutor with intimate knowledge of exam specifications ( incl. entrance/scholarship for top independent schools) as I write and publish materials for teaching and learning French at all exam levels. References available.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach French, at all levels but helping students work towards an entrance tests or an exam is my area of expertise. I normallyrestore confidence after what can be soul-destroying mock results. Of course, there are no such things as miracles, but with hard work, and the right sort of work, under the right guidance, anything is possible. Many of my tutees have come to realise this!
- Tell me about your qualifications.
After a Licence-Ã¨s-Lettres (BA Honours/first) in Paris University (Paris XIII), I came to England where I passed the examination of the Institute of Linguists and did an MA in Literary Translation (obtained with Distinction) at the University of Essex, under Prof. Arthur Terry. I trained with Barnet Education Services before teaching various adult classes in the Borough.
- How much do you charge?
I charge £42 an hour for years 7-9 (non examination), £48for GCSE and IGCSE, £50 for A level and IB diploma, £55 for Pre-U levels, adult casual learners and degree level students.
I charge £55 for preparation for CE exams and special Scholarship papers. All my students gained entrance to top independent schools (Eton, Westminster, Winchester, etc)
For younger children, I advise 30 mins session at £25.
- Where do you teach?
I teach from my home in Southgate, N14, a short walk from the bus and underground station. I also sucessfully teach on Skype (tutees in the UK and abroad). I do not travel to tutee's homes.
- When are you available?
As I work freelance, I am flexible with times and can teach weekdays and weekends, during the day and in the evening.
I teach normally 60 mins sessions, but I am happy to do 90 mins or longer if appropriate.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach at all levels. My youngest student was 6 and the oldest didn't want to tell me his age - he said he stopped counting after 78! However most of my students are between 11 and 18.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
GCSE, IGCSE, A levels, IB Diploma, Common Entrance as well as specific entrance exams/scholarships for independant and public schools..
I prepare students for exams I know very well as my other job is to devise and write material to prepare students for these exams!
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I use Skype and share screen. We can use google.doc and I email our work diary with homework after every session. I ask tutees to record themselves and send me recordings for extended oral work.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
The tutorials are very much tailored to the needs and ability of each student and the examination prepared:
- I use carefully devised material to introduce younger learners to French and to language learning, making sure it is a fun and rewarding experience which will serve them well in their future language learning at school. I often use my own material such as French is Fun 1 and 2.
- At secondary(KS3): I support knowledge acquired at school, anchoring difficult language points, and focus on variety and sophistication of language for the more able in order to ensure success in later years
- For (I)GCSE/A level/IB: I run past paper clinics. We focus on grammar and specific needs , eg vocabulary learning, listening, writing, improving confidence for the oral, using techniques for increased fluency and accuracy.
- For entrance exams/scholarships, we focus on techniques specific to each entry paper and I make sure we cover the grammatical knowledge needed.
- For students at degree level, I help according to the tutees' needs: preparing for the orals, essay writing techniques, filling in any gaps in their knowledge of grammar, practising listening skills, etc.
- For casual learners, I help with getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of the language in order to improve confidence and performance generally, and offer personalised support for long-term language learning
I am flexible, accommodating and supportive but I expect the same degree of commitment and work from my tutees as I put into each tutorial in order for them to achieve their best. I believe in success breeding motivation breeding success, and in having fun in the process! ;-)
See the updated references and an overview of my publications which I uploaded
- What kind of experience do you have?
I taught in secondary schools (as an assistant) and I taught adults for many years in various institutes (inc. The Working Men`s College, London and Middlesex University Summer School)
- I`ve been teaching privately at all levels since 1994 (devised diagnostic tests to assess levels and identify weaknesses and specific areas to focus on) in parallel to writing teaching materials for French, focusing mostly on exam preparation.
Among some of my published materials are renowned courses for all levels:
Primary: French is Fun (BBC/Pearson), ComÃ¨te (Oxford University Press)
Secondary: Equipe, Clic (Oxford University Press)
GCSE: Bitesize Revision website and book (BBC), French for AQA/OCR/Edexcel (OUP) and more recently exam practice workbooks for Pearson (reading and writing)
ICGSE: coursebook and workbook for CIE IGCSE
A level: Ã‰lan – Kerboodle (OUP)
International Baccalaureate: Panorama Francophone 1+2 (Cambridge University Press)
Adults beginners and improvers: The French Experience (BBC). Talking the Talk French (BBC)
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
No, as an author and private tutor; I have never needed one.
- Where and with whom did you train?
I studied language teaching when I was doing my Licence-Ã¨s-Lettres at University in France, trained to teach adult with Barnet Adult Education Services and I trained as a language resource writer when I was working for Mary Glasgow Publications on their language learning magazines. I am constantly reading about and using the best possible practice in my own writing and teaching.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am a member of the Institute of Linguists, of the Association for Language Learning and was a committee member of the Society of Authors (educational writers group).
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I have tutored twins from Dubai who gained entrance into Winchester, boys who got into Wesminster and Eton schools, a GCSE student in New York, many GCSE and IGCSE as well as A level tutees in the UK, on skype or in my home. I also tutored a university student preparing C1 at Birbeck (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
• Licence - es - Lettres (English language teaching)
• MA Literary Translation
• Association for Language Learning, Institute of Linguists, Society of Authors
DaniÃ¨le is an accomplished and effective tutor. She quickly discovered the weaknesses in our son's knowledge and mapped out a structured approach to improving his level in all methods that he would be examined on and provided weekly progress reports. Our focus was notable improvement but our son also looked forward to the lessons, a bonus ! His words: â€œshe is very pleasant and friendly to work with”. We were very delighted with the improvement made and the excellent exam results.
Daniele is clearly an educator of the highest level.She is an acknowledged leader in her field with a record of published education materials.She immediately identified our son's strengths and weaknesses, and importantly, utilised the most appropriate approach. She is a positive communicator who can motivate whilst getting the work done. Frankly we got much more than standard tutoring from Danie and are more than impressed by her capabilities and contribution to our son's education.
French entrance tests : "Daniele tutored both of my sons for their French 13+ entrance tests and we have been delighted with the tutorial sessions provided. DaniÃ¨le gave both of them confidence and invaluable support with all elements of French (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and was utterly focused and clear in her teaching. Both of my sons have passed the entrance tests last month and would highly recommend DaniÃ¨le as a professional French tutor.
11+ school exam preparation lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest 13 plus lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, international baccalaureate lessons for all!
Taking cambridge pre u lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|