My name is David Weber. I play and teach piano, violin, and composition to an advanced standard. I am enthusiastic about teaching music, and eager to help others realise their potential in any way I can.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
Piano, Violin, Composition, Music theory, and occasionally Maths.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
PhD in music history and analysis (the music of Frank Bridge), University of West London. Bachelor of Music (Composition), Royal College of Music. ABRSM Grade 8 violin (distinction) and piano (merit).
- How much do you charge?
£35/hour, £27.50/45 min, £20/30 min. *Consultation lessons are free*.
- Where do you teach?
I teach from my home in Isleworth.
- When are you available?
Days and times are currently negotiable (please note that I do not work Sundays). Feel free to contact me to make an enquiry.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach Piano and Composition for all ages and all levels. I teach Violin for all ages, up to grade 8.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I often prepare students for Trinity and ABRSM grades, and I am willing to consider other options. I also encourage the learning of other repertoire and skills, preparations for concerts and competitions, and learning towards any other useful qualifications.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I am willing to tutor Piano, Composition, Music theory, and Maths online; through email, skype, and/or phone. Further details provided on request.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Studying music is about a lot more than mere academic achievement. It's also not just for those it comes easily to. Many more people have the potential to achieve in music than is often thought, in different ways -- the ability to accompany others, support a band, entertain friends, and to create your own music. What's more, with determination and solid work, it should be fun. Music shouldn't always be serious -- there's a fun side as well!
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Substantial experience of music tutoring from 2012 onwards.
- School and music service teacher (2015 - ).
- Adult college tutor from 2016-17.
- Graduate teaching assistant, University of West London, 2013-14.
- Musical director of Playhouse Theatre Company productions from 2007-9.
~ Experienced in 1:1, small group, and whole class music tuition, to a wide range of ages and abilities.
~ University training in tutoring and lecturing (University of West London).
~ Teacher of classical, jazz, popular and folk styles; able to teach notation, aural and improvisation-based approaches.
Wider musical experience:
- Leader of Herefordshire Youth Orchestra, 2007-8.
- Private amanuensis/transcription work undertaken in Herefordshire.
- Composition commissions:
~ Scherzo for Flute and Guitar, for chamber group (Flauguissimo).
~ Trio for chamber group (Trilogy) (paid, 2009).
~ SATB setting for Hereford Sixth Form College choir, 2008.
~ Wind Quartet for private birthday event, 2004; Piano Trio for Simon Bainbridge birthday concert, St. John's Smith Square, 2002 (both through Purcell School of Music).
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, I have an enhanced disclosure from September 2017.
- Where and with whom did you train?
I recently completed a PhD in music analysis and history at the University of West London, specialising in the music of Frank Bridge, supervised by professors Francis Pott and Robert Sholl. I also trained at the Royal College of Music, in composition, with Dr. Jonathan Cole and Dr. Alison Kay. I trained in piano and violin with Andrew Morris and George Ewart, respectively, in Leominster.
• BMus in Composition (Royal College of Music)
• PhD in Music history and analysis (University of West London)
• Enhanced DBS disclosure from November 2014
violin lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|