I offer mentoring for young people and adults fascinated by writing film music, receive support and mentorship in all aspects of film music creation and career development from an experienced professional.
Learn to write, improve and develop fully produced scores for film including:
- Spotting, planning and sketching.
- Generating initial ideas, motifs, chord sequences and other fragments.
- Developing ideas into a fully structured score that tells the story.
- Deepen your musical theory understanding.
- Learn to produce quality work efficiently with a digital audio workstation.
- Working with synthesizers and sound design.
- Live recording and mixing.
- Working with sample libraries and orchestration.
Develop your professional practice:
- Planning and managing your projects.
- Maintaining good physical and mental health while working.
- Deepening awareness, empathy and sensitivity toward story (and life!)
- Developing confidence to network and build relationships.
Support and feedback provided by a professional film score composer, experienced working with BAFTA-winning talent on feature films, combined with studies and experience in psychology and interpersonal support.
I work in a holistic and responsive manner with each student, sharing knowledge, insight, and collaboratively setting goals and tasks in response to the student's individual curiosity and aspirations.
I am a professional film composer working on feature dramas, thrillers and horror films. I studied music production at the Academy of Contemporary Music, passing with distinction, and songwriting with London Song Company. I also studied counselling at Guildford College, volunteered for five years as a listener and deputy director for Samaritans, and read scripts for Hollywood studio Eclectic Pictures.
My second feature film “Olive Green” beat the HBO Game of Thrones web series at New York Festivals. The third feature I have written for, Sorority, is out in 2020 and stars BAFTA-winner Sophie Kennedy Clarke and double BAFTA-winner Kate Dickie.
I am delighted to be writing this reference on behalf of Derek. Derek is deep thinking, dedicated and highly professional artist - sincerely committed to his chosen field of writing for screen. I have known Derek and been a teacher and creative coach to him at different periods since 2011 and have no hesitation whatsoever in highly recommending him as a tutor and mentor to others. He will, for sure, through the many years of developing his own practice along with his interests in psychology, become known not just for his technical and musical know-how, but (even more importantly) how to best support each student he works with in resourcing themselves as their learning progresses. He's also a really nice guy! Julian Marshall (ARCM FHEA)
music production lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest computer-aided music lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, music technology lessons for all!
Taking mixing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|