In my teaching practice:
* I encourage students not to take their primary texts at face value, but instead to interrogate them as both products and producers of their cultural and historical contexts. Reading closely and drawing connections both within and beyond a single text are, I believe, fundamental steps in the interpretation of our sources and important tools that students should adopt when approaching literary texts.
* I offer tailored lessons and extra resources, depending on a student's need and objectives.
* I use online platforms to interact with my students in a secure and efficient way, and share my screen with them to direct them to extra resources or illustrate a specific point in writing.
* I aim to create a safe and friendly space, in which students can recognise and develop their skills, and also feel free to ask questions about anything that they might find unclear.
One of our best tutors! High-quality profile, qualifications verified and response guaranteed. Giulia will plan your first lesson with care.
I am a Doctor of Classics at Royal Holloway, University of London. I have extensive experience of lecturing and seminar teaching at RHUL (including beginners' Latin and designing modules on Greek History and the City State and Roman Literature of the Empire), with excellent student satisfaction feedback.
I have also tutored students in Ancient History, Italian, Latin, and Ancient Greek.
I am highly proficient in both Latin and Greek, as I have studied both languages since I was fourteen. I read Classics at the University of Pisa and have passed examinations on Greek Language and Literature, Latin Language and Literature, Greek Grammar, and Classical Civilisation.
* I offer a preliminary meeting (30 min) for free: we can introduce each other, and you can tell me more about your expectations, needs, and objectives.
* My hourly rate is 30£/h (webcam lessons only due to the current circumstances).
2020: PhD in Classics, Royal Holloway, University of London (no corrections);
2016: MA in Philology and Ancient History at Università di Pisa. Final Mark: 110/110 magna cum laude (Distinction). Exams included: Greek Grammar; Late-Antique Latin Language and Literature; Greek Philology;
2014: BA in Classics at Università di Pisa. Final Mark: 110/110 magna cum laude (1st). Exams included: Greek Language and Literature (1, 2, 3); Latin Language and Literature (1, 2, 3); Classical Philology; Ancient Greek and Roman History.
Visiting Tutor – Royal Holloway, University of London
2020/2021 Roman Literature of the Empire
2020/2021 Greek History and the City State
2019/2020 Roman Literature of the Empire
2019/2020 Greek History and the City State
2019/2020 Beginners’ Latin (ad-hoc substitutions)
2018/2019 Greek History and the City State
2017/2018 Greek History and the City State
2020/2021 Greek History to 322 BC.
2019/2020 Greek Drama
2020 – Private Tutor in Ancient History and Italian
2014/2015 Private Tutor in Latin (high-school preparation)
~ LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Italian: native speaker; English: C2; French: B2; German: B1.2
Perfect! In our reading of Attic Greek, I appreciated the reinforcement of fundamentals, the clarification of unusually complex phrases, and discussion of philosophical and cultural context. I'm glad I chose Giulia!
Alessandro is an excellent student, well-prepared, and motivated. It was a delight to work with him!
Perfect! Very helpful, gave great resources and insight!
Khalil was very interested in the subject.
Giulia is an absolutely professional teacher. During her lessons, she does her very best to take care of your needs and encourage you. She has patience and a huge knowledge of Classics. Last but not least... she has a great passion for what she does!
I've known Giulia since high school. She is a serious, trustworthy and caring person. Her knowledge of the classics is excellent. I would really recommend her as a tutor. if you are looking for a teacher who motivates you and really cares about you and your needs, Giulia is your best choice.
Giulia is a competent and dedicated teacher, who really transmits her passion for Classics to her students.
I have known Giulia for five years as a PhD student (now Doctor) and lecturer in London. She is a supportive and encouraging teacher who has the rare gift of both knowing her subject really well and caring deeply about her students and their development. She has strong knowledge of all areas of Classics, and has years of experience of lecturing, marking, and teaching. I would thoroughly recommend Giulia as a tutor; she will offer students a supportive and challenging environment in which they can achieve their full potential.
I've known Giulia for several years through our PhD degrees, and she is extremely reliable, trustworthy and approachable - she'd be an excellent tutor for anybody! She really knows her stuff, having taught at university level for multiple years, and is very conscientious - you can have confidence that you will emerge a much more fully-informed person.
classics lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest latin lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oratory lessons for all!
Taking ancient greek lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£30|