I have a PhD from the English Department at the University of Southampton and many years of experience teaching English literature, poetry and academic skills (research, writing, referencing, presentation skills, time management, digital resources) to BA and MA students.
My tutorials vary between helping students with homework/assignments and preparing lessons on particular texts/subjects, depending on the student's needs and preferences. I am currently also working as an academic tutor at Bath Spa, where I give tutorials on academic writing and research skills. During these tutorials I help students with all aspects of writing an essay, from finding a suitable topic, developing their research skills, learning how to use online & library resources, planning and structuring an essay, communicating ideas clearly & effectively, improving writing skills, to editing their own work. I can also teach revision skills, dissertation writing and time management.
Apart from my academic teaching experience (see above), I have taught English at a secondary school in the Netherlands and I tutored secondary school students throughout my undergraduate degree in English, German, French, Dutch and History.
In the last year I have tutored six students in English literature, poetry and writing English for professional purposes.
PhD Jewish American Literature, University of Southampton October 2011- December 2015
MA Religious Studies, University of Amsterdam September 2010- September 2011
MA Poetry Studies, Durham University October 2009- September 2010
BA (2:1) English Literature and Linguistics, University of Amsterdam
September 2006- October 2009
April 2017 – Tutor in English, History, Religious Studies, Philosophy and
• Delivering tutorials in English Language & Literature, History, Religious Studies and Philosophy to GCSE and A level students. Delivering tutorials on Academic Writing, including advice on essays and assignments, to undergraduate and postgraduate students from the University of Bristol and UWE Bristol.
January 2018 – July 2018: Lecturer in Religion, Philosophy & Ethics, City of
• Teaching Religious Studies, including Philosophy and Ethics, to A1 and A2 level students, preparing lessons, marking mock essays, keeping track of student progress, student support, administrative duties.
October 2017 – March 2018: Senior Learning Development Advisor,
Bath Spa University
• Teaching academic research and writing skills to undergraduate and postgraduate students, giving individual tutorials, student support, administrative duties.
June 2016 – September 2017: Pre-sessional Academic Skills Coordinator, Modern Languages, University of Southampton
• Organising the Independent Learning (Academic Skills) component of the Pre-Sessional Program which aims to prepare overseas students for academic life in Britain.
• Creating content and materials for workshops on academic writing, critical thinking, research skills, referencing, time management, exam preparation etc.
• Delivering & supervising academic advising sessions, language cafés and contributing to resource development.
• Liaising with the other coordinators and helping to manage a team of twenty staff members.
June 2012- September 2015: Pre-Sessional Academic Skills Tutor, Modern Languages, University of Southampton
• Teaching academic research and writing skills to undergraduate and postgraduate international students, preparing seminars, giving individual tutorials, providing pastoral care and student support, invigilating exams, administrative duties.
October 2013 – January 2015: Seminar Tutor, English Department,
University of Southampton
• Teaching an introduction to poetry to undergraduate students, giving student feedback, preparing seminars, marking essays, administrative duties.
• Dutch and English: fully bilingual
• German: professional working knowledge
• French: limited professional working knowledge
• Yiddish: professional working knowledge
Perfect! I had a productive session working with Eva on two essays. Eva gave me lots of advice on how to improve my work which helped me with the editing process. She was very insightful and helped me to feel more confident about my work. She was also very friendly which made me feel comfortable when talking about my work. I will be getting in contact with Eva again when I need to work through another essay and would definitely recommend her.
Zara was a pleasure to work with, we had a very productive hour together working on two short essays. She was very polite and friendly and open to my suggestions on how to improve her essays.
I've taught alongside Eva on a couple of university courses. She's a great teacher, and always gets on really well with her students. Quite a few would email the department to thank her after their writing tutorials in particular!
english literature lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest dissertation and thesis preparation lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, modern literature lessons for all!
Taking dissertation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||£25||Not available|
|5 hours||£115||£115||Not available|
|10 hours||£225||£225||Not available|