My teaching method is interactive. I feel the best way to learn is to engage in discussion and debate. This is especially important when the study of history itself is far from objective. Participation is a wonderful way to engage the brain!
I have university teaching experience and as a freelancer, offer training courses in how to undertake historical research and read old handwriting. I have had a number of students successfully achieve their research goals and complete projects they have enjoyed. I also work in publishing as a history editor, which means I am certainly up-to-date with current historical discussions and topics. I have published articles and have a forthcoming book based on my own research interests.
Dr Danna R. Messer
• A professional historian with over 15 years’ experience conducting archival research.
• Knowledgeable and adaptable with competencies in palaeography, medieval Latin, Middle Welsh,
copy-editing and proofreading.
• An experienced and confident public speaker.
• An excellent communicator who shows initiative working independently and as part of a team.
CAREER HISTORY & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Freelance Historian 2012-Present; 2002-2005
• Undertake commissioned research of original archives for professional, amateur, family and local historians, societies and authors.
• Project management, analyse quantitative and qualitative research datasets and outputs.
• Consult historical documents,11th–20th centuries; undertake palaeographic transcriptions and
translations from medieval Latin.
• Manage expense accounts.
• Previous clients include Cambridge and Newcastle Universities (Wellcome Trust Funded project);
Wakefield and North of England Tulip Society (Heritage Lottery Funded project).
Freelance Series Editor, Medieval History, Pen and Sword Books April 2016-Present
• Create series objectives and overall themes to be covered.
• Network with established and up and coming authors via email, phone, Skype and in person.
• Commission authors for books.
• Facilitate and monitor the production of titles and book proposals.
• Copyedit all manuscripts for series.
• One-to-one collaboration with authors to produce clean edits for publication.
• Generate proposals for additional history series.
Freelance Layout Editor, Royal Studies Journal Aug. 2016-Present
• Manage international, editorial Layout Team for bi-annual academic journal.
• Delegate and monitor team and individual assignments.
• Supervise and proof final edits for all articles and reviews before publication.
• Oversee online journal system.
• Collaborate with international colleagues.
• Create guidelines and online help resources for editorial board and assistants.
• Promote journal using Royal Studies Network webpage and social media.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Publisher.
Freelance Archivist, Birdsall House, East Yorkshire Sept. 2016-Oct. 2017
• Catalogued family and estate papers, 16th-20th centuries to International Archival Standards.
• Created and managed archival database.
• Consulted on grant opportunities and preservation issues.
• Packaged and boxed archives.
Executive Support Assistant, Hull York Medical School, University of York Jan. 2014-Aug.2016
• Provided information, advice and support to colleagues, students, academics, stakeholders and
others external to the university.
• Organised and represent the area and University at events.
• Co-ordinated departmental processes in conjunction with senior colleagues.
• Recorded data and produce regular reports.
• Provided executive and administrative support for Dean and Chief Operating Officer.
PA to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellors, University of York June 2014-Jan. 2015
• First point of contact for the DVC and PVCs and provided informed advice and guidance.
• Provided support for senior managers in the Vice-Chancellor’s Department.
• Managed diverse administrative systems.
• First author, researcher and collaborator on confidential report commissioned by a university
review committee; report successfully submitted to Senior Management Group for consideration.
• Lead in organising and managing programmes of internal and external meetings, visits, events,
away-days, seminars, fundraising, influential events, and visits by public figures and dignitaries.
• Created, managed and maintained excellent relationships across the Support & Academic
Departments and the Colleges.
Freelance Pre-Editor, Brepols Publishing 2013-2014
• Proofread and templated manuscripts using Microsoft Office.
• Identified and resolved problems that might later delay copy-editing and type-setting process.
• Edited FTP files of manuscripts to conform to MHRA style guidelines
• Uploaded work with Filezilla.
History Tutor, Centre for Lifelong Learning, University of York 2009-2014
• Developed syllabus and overall course structure.
• Collaborated on curriculum and exam development.
• Taught courses include: ‘Introduction to Historical Research’; ‘Introduction to English Palaeography,
1400–1900’; ‘Approaches to Local History’; ‘Life in the Middle Ages’; ‘Women in the Middle Ages’;
‘Queens of Medieval Britain’.
Archives Assistant, Borthwick Institute for Archives, University of York 2005-2011
• Supervised and trained new staff; supervised visitors, answered research queries by email, phone,
post and in person.
• Catalogued and indexed archival material.
• Delivered required results for commissioned research on time and within specified budgets.
• Consulted and transcribed a wide range of sources, 12th–20th centuries.
• Developed public informative pamphlets and teaching aids related to archival material.
• Conducted tours and organized exhibitions for schools and history groups.
PhD, Medieval Welsh History, Bangor University 2014
Supervisors: Prof. Huw Pryce and Dr Susan Johns
MA, Late Medieval Studies, University of York 2002
Supervisors: Prof. Alastair Minnis
BA, History and Women’s Studies (Distinction), University of Denver, USA 1998
AA, Humanities and Social Sciences (Distinction), Arapahoe Community College, Littleton, CO, USA 1995
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, mythology lessons for all!
Taking feminism lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|