- Hourly rate £20
- Response Time 7h
- Number of students 18
1st lesson free!
Drawing expert (comics, animation, life drawing, graphic design) for drawing classes in Edinburgh
- By webcam
About the lesson
The needs of the learners are the starting point of my classes. I discuss with my students the reasons they are learning to draw and on which projects they want to direct their skill. Based on this I direct the student's attention on what exactly to pay attention to (drawing is also an observation skill!), and on how to develop specific skills linked to the fields of design, animation or comics.
My classes are normally structured as follows:
- I present the topic, with visual examples, and ask the student to analyse what they see, directing their attention to what's important
- I show the student how to apply the rules discovered. I draw examples with my graphic tablet and I share my screen for the student to see the process
- I give in-class exercises to the student, so they can apply what is learnt
- I ask the student to show me what they did and provide feedback
- I give some homework relevant to the class. No homework is obligatory, but it's good for the student to practise.
- Art and Design
- All Levels
I am an experienced graphic designer who has worked for both big and small companies. I have studied drawing for more than ten years and explored different types of techniques and methods. I am interested in how, in order to learn to draw well, we first need to deconstruct the way we tend to see reality - i.e. in a schematic way. I've explored this topic also in my MSc dissertation. This knowledge will help me guide you in the fascinating yet mysterious steps we need to take to learn to draw "naturally". This is a first step that will allow you to build a strong skill that will be the baseline of all your future projects.
Perfect! Very focused instruction with a curriculum to pair with the lessons.
Perfect! Loved my first lesson, Elena is just lovely and made me feel so relaxed and I feel like she understood exactly what I wanted to learn and where I wanted to be.
Perfect! I'm so glad I got in touch with Elena. She is an amazing teacher who has a passion for art. When I first spoke to Elena about my ideas she was really happy to help. A few days later she had already set up a curriculum and tailored it to my needs. She explains everything so clearly and the ideas which I thought were complicated she breaks them down in a way that's easy to understand. Along with the online classes she also sets homework outlining everything I need to do to complete a particular task which will ultimately help me on my journey. I've really enjoyed the classes with elena and feel that in the short space of time I've already learnt so much from her and feel like I've improved. I'm so excited to carry on with this journey with Elena and can't wait to see where this takes me. Thanks Elena!
- Elena's response : Faizul is a driven and attentive student, with lots of curiosity and intelligence in the subject. He has clear ideas on what he wants to achieve, and he's very dedicated in the homework. I believe that we're going to make incredible progress in the course of our classes.
Perfect! Elena is a understanding and patient teacher who is friendly to speak to and puts alot of effort into both their lessons and their prep - I have enjoyed my lesson with them and look forward to more.
- Elena's response : Tayler is an incredibly attentive and intelligent student. He has developed by himself pretty advanced observational skills that allow him to be precise and accurate. He has also shown a great amount of focus, which will help him in the most elaborated art. He might benefit from unlocking his own creativity and exploring his own subjects. I believe he will be able to achieve pretty advanced goals soon!
Perfect! Elena is clear, structured and goes the extra mile to be prepared. Her instructions and demonstrations are constructive and easy to follow. She provides valuable feedback and suggestions for my art. I learned a lot from her even in the first lesson!
- Elena's response : Valentina is a delight to work with! She's driven, motivated and dedicated. She adds a lot of personal insights to the classes and asks brilliant questions that show the right mindset to approach this profession. She does lots of personal work which shows an inner curiosity in the subject, and I'm sure that this will allow her to develop as a well-rounded artist.
Perfect! Elena is very engaging and fun to work with. She knows her craft very well both from a theoretical and practical point of view. I loved our lesson together. It was very much tailor made for my needs and not just a boring or standard art lesson.
- Elena's response : Wadzanai showed a lot of interest, potential and openness to learning, which are great foundations to develop all types of projects! Wadzanai showed attention and curiosity for a variety of subjects, which, I believe, will help in the creation of personal projects as well as setting the foundation to working in the comic industry.
Perfect! Elena is absolutely amazing! My son is not only enjoying his lessons but also learning so many new techniques which is great to see. I would highly recommend Elena.
- Elena's response : Chris is a very talented student with amazing observation skills. He's already able to approach quite advanced exercises with great precision and his ability to focus is above average. I believe he's going to learn quickly and create amazing art. Doing the homework may help him reach a very high level sooner.
Perfect! Elena is a very kind teacher and "she is very fun to work with". Her gentle approach and clear plan for the lesson and homework is very helpful for my daughter who can get very anxious. She is really enjoying the lessons!
- Elena's response : Carys is a very fun and dedicated student, who has the right approach to creative activities. Her ability to create her own characters, animations, and artwork show that she is passionate about the subject and ready to express her point of view via drawing. She also follows the classes very attentively and completes every exercise well. She is particularly good at tasks that require creativity and self-expression. Keeping practising in her free time and completing the homework can help her grow as an artist. It's a pleasure working with her.
Perfect! Elena is a great teacher who is patient and supportive. I am already improving my skills with her and believe I will progress fast in the future. I am really enjoying my lessons with Elena.
- Elena's response : Ellie is an incredibly capable, motivated and independent artist, with a clear understanding of her learning goals and visual inspiration. She already has very solid foundations of drawing, comics storytelling, and digital painting. She's familiar with advanced drawing tools and techniques, and all of these skills will make her a strong professional artist. In order to fill the gap between her current skills and her ideal drawing style, she can strengthen her understanding of anatomy, movement, and lighting, as well as practising volumes and painting styles.
Perfect! Elena is such a lovely person and a great teatcher. I am already learning many things and improving my skills. She's patient and supportive, she care about what you want to achieve and she helps you reach it. I am really enjoying my lessons with Elena and I'll definitely recommend her as teatcher.
- Elena's response : Maeva is a lovely, motivated student who always brings good energy and curiosity to the table. She is very meticulous in her homework and has clear goals in her practice. She doesn't get stressed nor discouraged, and asks very good questions to understand how to improve. She accepts any challenge with a good spirit and this makes her capable of learning fast and effectively.
Perfect! My daughter really enjoys her lessons with Elena. She feels she is learning a lot and Elena has a great friendly and encouraging style which makes the lessons very enjoyable and rewarding.
- Elena's response : It's a real pleasure to work with Amity. She is extremely talented, very precise and intelligent. I recommend a lot of exercises aimed at developing creativity and drawing lots of different things. It's easy at the stage she's in to find one's own style and stick to it, which is good, but being open to exploring can be extremely useful and rewarding in the long run.
View more reviews
I highly recommend Elena as a tutor. She's an incredibly knowledgeable and experienced professional who really knows how to help her students improve their drawing skills and progress towards their creative goals. She is also a kind and wonderful human being and I'm sure you will be very pleased with your decision to take classes with her!
Elena is a great person to work with and a very patient and motivated mentor. She is so supportive and clear when it comes to sharing her skills!
Elena has been teaching Italian with Edinburgh Italian Classes for the last three years. I always received great feedback from the students who find her really patient, engaging and fun. Seal of excellence.
View more recommendations
- 5h: £95
- 10h: £180