I have a passion for socio-political academics. However, as a dyslexic 1st class graduate, reading and learning intricate and complex theories were often difficult.
Therefore, my teaching methods would be partly based on tips and tricks I have used to ensure my own academic success. But most importantly my teaching methods will be catered to you, your needs, your abilities and desired outcomes.
As a person with dyslexia, I feel comfortable breaking things down that extra level and understand the importance of this. I also want to achieve this by creating a safe space, where no question is a silly one.
I plan to offer PowerPoints, worksheets, diagrams and resources participants can keep. As well as past essays and essay plans to highlight good structure.
I also plan to assist students in accessing learning support services and receive the reasonable adjustments they need within educational institutions.
I'm new to academic tutor with experience tutoring friends, classmates and others since from 2014. I also have experiences in teaching 4-18 year olds culinary art skills abroad, this also included children with autism and dyslexia.
I have years of experience within socio-political sciences through quantitative research internships abroad with a grassroots black feminist organisation; various independent qualitative and quantitative research projects and over 3 years of youth work.
Key skills & experience:
• Enthusiastic, energetic, professional, light-hearted, creative and flexible manner exemplified by specialist customer care roles; prestigious placements; presidency within Oxford Brookes University African-Caribbean Society; residential and UK-wide youth work with the ‘National Citizenship Service’ and International ‘Culinary arts Specialist’ role with American Youth.
• Well-rounded knowledge, experience and demonstrable background in fundraising, project management and Charity work with vulnerable and marginalised persons.
• Demonstrable expertise in research, data and information management, creative youth work and engagement and race/international relations.
• Effective and professional telecommunication, verbal and written communication skills adaptable to audience and environment. Exemplified by completion of an undergraduate degree in International Relations and Sociology; experience within residential, international and UK based youth work; US and UK based non-profit management roles; office based placements; customer care in low and higher retailers and organisation; and administrative roles within prestigious organisations like ‘Perry Cooper’ and ‘National Grid.’
• Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, demonstrated through completing full time university level study while simultaneously working across two job sectors.
Employment & Voluntary History:
Oxford Brookes University June 2019 – May 2020
President of African-Caribbean Society
• Internally and externally advocating for the African and Caribbean student body through events and suggesting university-wide policies; whilst educating students and staff on black history and experiences.
• Liaison and professional relationship building with other ACS committees, university staff and external businesses and services via email, phone and letter.
• Distributing duties to the necessary committee members, holding them accountable and taking overarching responsibility for projects, events, fundraising and finances.
• Event Planning: including room booking, budget forms and risk assessments
Mama Sana – Austin, Texas February 2019 - May 2019
Research & Data Analysis Intern
• Advocating for working-class black and Latino women, who are disproportionately affected by maternal death rates/ traumatic birthing experiences through lobbying government, suggesting policies and holding events.
• Educating the community and mothers/ mothers-to-be on services available, their medical rights and the realities of traumatic births/ maternal death rates for minorities.
• Independently planning and analysing quantitative research with the aim to inform the organisation on potential improvements, upscale opportunities, their participants demographics and experiences.
• Creating a report and reporting data findings in a professional manner through a verbal presentation with visual aids.
Catch22 - NCS support mentor,
Shrewsbury & Lincolnshire August 2016 – August 2019 (three yearly 4-week contracts)
• Providing pastoral care, following safeguarding procedures whilst creating and ensuring a safe, but fun learning environment
• Working in a fast paced, but short-term residential setting
• Implementing a pre-made schedule and using initiative to adapt activities and approach when appropriate.
• Using other knowledge of dance, singing, games, hair and beauty to engage young people to express themselves in their free time.
• Encouraging, empowering and leading young people to use their interests, knowledge and skills to fundraise for charity or better their local community.
Camp America, Camp Quinipet
Culinary Arts Specialist & Camp Counsellor June 2017 – August 2017
• Independently creating and implementing weekly schedules of creative culinary activities based on age and abilities along with risk assessments and guiding general counsellors on how to assist.
• Following basic kitchen health hygiene and educating others on kitchen hygiene
• Working in a longitudinal residential environment with a range of minors from 4-17 years old.
Short term, Voluntary & Non-Profit roles October 2011 – December 2016
• Fundraising and volunteering with elders, specifically African and Caribbean elders by serving refreshments; providing companionship and traditional entertainment at the ACNA centre (Afro-Caribbean National Artistic Centre Nottingham)
• Volunteering with Loughborough Sea Cadet’s by planning activities, conducting risk assessments, ensuring water safety and orderliness.
First Class Undergraduate Degree in International Relations & Sociology (June 2020)
4 A & AS Levels – French, German, Sociology, Government and Politics (July 2017)
10 GCSEs all A*- C including English, Maths and Sciences (August 2014)
Reccarnei is clearly passionate about politics, international relations and sociology. It shows in the way she teaches and discusses topics, which ensure that the session is always engaging.
She has plenty of little tips, which have now become staple in my academic writing planning process.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£150|