I am currently studying Economics at the University of York. In my opinion, Economics is a wonderful subject that teaches you to use critical thinking, mathematical and problem-solving skills. It is the passion I have for my subject that has made me want to tutor, so that I can teach students the things I love learning and have a thorough understanding for. Furthermore, the best way to test your own understanding in a topic is to be able to teach it to someone else!
As a tutor, I approach teaching with a patient attitude, and encourage students to ask questions as this is what best aids learning. Also, it is important to allow students to work at their own pace, and to be patient and adaptable in my teaching style to what the student feels they most understand.
It is important to make sure that each lesson is tailored towards the respective student, hence I would find out what topics the students would like to work on, and which specific areas or questions they would like to cover. This will allow me to prepare relevant questions and worked out answers, or model answers to essay questions, where I will start with teaching the foundations and look to build up their knowledge and understanding. Students will be taught through diagrams and interactive tools, which will then be followed up with worked through examples that we will go through step-by-step. Finally, they will be able to try to independently answer questions that I have set, where I can mark answers and monitor their progress and highlight parts that they may still find difficult in order to tackle those later on. As a brief follow up, I will test on the topic as a starter in the next lesson.
I have always had an interest in teaching, while being at school. I've had experience in tutoring GCSE Maths and Sciences to my friends, these have been hugely successful, as they've gone on to achieve A's and A*'s. I've continued that passion into sixth form, teaching Maths A-Level and Economics to students younger than me, and they have grown to love and understand the subject as much as I have. I believe I have solid grounding and experience in both teaching and my own understanding in Maths and Economics, and will help students work towards achieving A's and A*'s.
2017 - Present
University of York
2015 - 2017
Brampton Manor Sixth Form
A-Levels: Mathematics A*, Economics A*, Further Mathematics B
AS Level: Physics A
2010 - 2015
11 GCSE’s: 5A*’s, 5A’s, 1B
July 2017 JP Morgan, summer intern
• Shadowing desk in Asset management, attending client meetings
• Using Excel to collate data on European banks’ balance sheet, modelling and analysing their performance
August 2016 Insurance Division, PRA Bank of England
• Analysing the managing structure of firms, assessing the exposure of firms to risk
• Briefing research regarding firms, its directors and current market conditions
July-August 2016 JP Morgan, summer intern
• Field and market research, delivering presentations to management
• Working within a team to successfully complete project tasks
July 2016 Santander
• Handling cash transactions, responsible for filing financial paperwork
• Dealing with customer queries, providing assistance with transactions
• Active volunteer with a mental health awareness organisation, Open Minds, aiming to deliver lessons to secondary schools in order to raise awareness about mental illness’, and reduce stigma associated with them
• Volunteered as a reading mentor for year eleven students helping them improve their literacy skills
• Participated in organising charity fundraising events, such as snacks and bake sales
• Bronze Award in UK National Junior Mathematics challenge
• Awarded Nigel Thompson scholarship at university for Economics
Skills and Interest:
• Languages – Punjabi (fluent), Spanish (intermediate) and Hindi (basic)
• IT skills – advanced IT skills, and basic programming knowledge
• Reading – avid reader, particularly enjoy thriller and mystery
• Interested in travelling, enjoy absorbing new cultures and experiences
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£15||Not available||£12|
|5 hours||£70||Not available||£60|
|10 hours||£140||Not available||£120|