I will provide free support to students outside of tutoring sessions, when necessary, using Email and Zoom.
Together with instructions and demonstrations, I like to use a range of resources, including screen sharing, puzzle sites, my own Kahoot quizzes, instructional videos, a writing tablet, and interactive maths software, while providing my complete support throughout. These tools make my lessons fun, stimulating, engaging and challenging, which achieves much better results.
I base my teaching on developing a quick rapport with students, through being easy going, talkative, engaging, supportive, understanding, passionate about my subject(s), pleasant, polite and humorous - in my opinion anyway! I also have interests such as sport, gaming, science, comedy and movies, which can help deliver teaching objectives, build connections and start conversations.
I have years of experience at being able to pitch lessons at the right level for each individual student, ensuring that work is both challenging and achievable.
I`m a qualified teacher with 18 years experience of teaching and tutoring Maths & Computer Science.
I've tutored from my home, at a tutoring company's premises, and online - both live and on-demand, in both Maths and Computer Science. As a consequence of the lock-down, I now also have experience of teaching online from home. I used Zoom to provide live one-to-one video lessons, as well as support and feedback sessions. I also provided on-demand teaching, using a Learning Management System (LMS) called Canvas, which enabled me to create, set, receive, and mark assignments, as well as make announcements, create and moderate chat rooms, and give students feedback and support when necessary, using various methods such as recorded video, live video, comments and messages.
My rates can vary depending on things like subject levels, goals, travel and the individual circumstances of the students and their parents or carers.
I’m a passionate and engaging education professional, with eighteen years experience of teaching and tutoring. I’ve delivered Computer Science, ICT and Maths up to GCSE level, both in the classroom, at home and online. Before I moved on to seek new teaching and tutoring challenges, I was a senior teacher, head of department, and ICT coordinator. A highly trained, motivated and positive individual, with a desire to help students of all ages to make progress, both personally and academically. Recent achievements include designing, programming and publishing a game app, by myself, to inspire my computer science students.
• Teaching Computer Science, Maths & ICT up to GCSE level, both in school and online
• Tutoring from home and online
• Computer programming, including Python, GameMaker, Scratch, MySQL and the BBC micro:bit
• Proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office
• School IT Coordinator, IT Technician, Network Administrator & Systems Administrator
• Building positive relationships with students and being an excellent role model
• Determined and persistent self-learning and problem solving
Teacher, Belmont School, Rawtenstall
(September 2002 – Present)
Achievements and responsibilities:
• Trained and qualified as a teacher, while delivering a full timetable of Maths and ICT, and self-learning their curriculums
• After becoming exclusively an ICT teacher, I managed the installation of an ICT suite, at a school with previous limited ICT resources, and then oversaw the creation and building of the school’s network and ICT infrastructure
• Successfully delivered the ELC, Functional Skills and GCSE curriculums, at an SEMH school, creating all necessary resources
• Had sole responsibility for everything IT in the school, including being the IT technician, and doing some Network & Systems Administration
• Became Head of Department and created all the necessary policies
• Became a Senior Teacher, which included becoming a successful student teacher mentor and staff supervisor
• Became the ICT Coordinator, responsible for such things as promoting the use of ICT by all departments, auditing the school’s ICT provisions and updating both hardware and software, training staff in groups or individually upon request
• Self-learned and successfully delivered the ELC and GCSE computer science curriculums, including computer programming in many different languages
(January 2010 – Present)
Achievements and responsibilities:
• Administer baseline assessments of new students, to create and deliver personalised programmes of study
• Learned and utilised all the necessary skills and resources to deliver live tutoring online, using technologies such as Zoom
• Learned and utilised a Learning Management System called Canvas to create online, on-demand courses, where I could create, set, receive and mark assignments, make announcements, create and moderate chatrooms, and give feedback and support using recorded video, live video, comments and messaging
Edge Hill University
QTS – Teaching Computer Science and ICT
The Open University
30 Credit Degree Module M150 – Data, computing and information (Pass – 95%)
St Martin’s College, University of Cumbria
(September 1998 – June 2000)
BSc(Hons) Sports Science (2.1)
Hobbies & Interests
I’m a habitual self-learner, and love to educate myself in areas such as science & technology, and more recently, Computer Programming. I also play and watch a lot of sport, watch movies and stand-up comedy, and go to concerts. I incorporate all this into my teaching style and relationship building.
Worked with matty for the last 18 months cant fault the guy honest and trustworthy
I’ve worked with Matti for over two years, he’s a really great tutor and very caring. He’s kind and patient- He takes a lot of pride in his work and is always willing to support both pupils and staffs. I would 100% recommend working with him
I loved learning with Matthew, he is patient, educator, with a pleasant humor. Taking lessons with Matthew is a pleasure. I recommend him without hesitation as a teacher.
Matthew is not only a great teacher, but also a great teacher trainer. He was my mentor during my time as a trainee teacher and even though that was over a decade ago, I still use the lessons and theories he passed on to me on a regular basis. His subject knowledge is excellent and his teaching style fits the subject perfectly. Dan Evans, Head of Computing at Tameside College.
Matthew is an absolute professional who prides himself on being able to successfully teach all ages and levels to a high standard. He has an excellent history of being able to teach pupils with varying abilities as well as complex behavioral, social and emotional difficulties and/or high achieving pupils. He takes such pride in all aspects of teaching and is an extremely likeable and pleasant teacher.
Mathew is a great teacher , I have been in his lessons whilst he is teaching. Great atmosphere, it really is. When I use to be a keyworker and I would bring my class into his lessons, they loved making apps and creating games from scratch, step by step instructions would be shown through the big board and all the children would engage in the activities.
Mathew is great at what he does, he’s very clued up and intellectual and has a very good teaching style that caters for everyone, would recommend!
I worked with Matthew for 4 years and in that time I came to recognise that he was not only entirely competent in his professional field but also nurturing, funny, caring, trustworthy and patient to a fault. He really cared about the pupils he taught and helped those with the lowest esteem to recognise their potential. I would recommend Matthew 100% to not only develop academic potential, but a well rounded pupil.
A very approachable person, with perfect personality with a huge passion with what he does and he’s also very good at it! He taught me in school 5 years ago! Would highly recommend ️️️️️
I’ve worked with Matthew for over a decade, during this time he has consistently delivered outstanding lessons to pupils with a wide range academic abilities, ensuring they access the breadth of the curriculum and reach their potential.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|