My plan to help students would be with whatever method they find most comfortable: multi-media assistance, written notes, oral explanations etc. During sessions, I would provide assistance that the student would best see fit, and work on sections that need development or help strengthen topics they are already fairly adept at, solidifying their confidence.
I have been tutoring students on and off since 2017 throughout the study of my degree. I've taught around 15 students from the ages of 5 up to 17. My experience with tutoring lies in volunteering in primary schools in Coventry, assisting both Year 3 and 6 students respectively with reading comprehension, spelling and grammar.
Having obtained passes in all my GCSE subjects, three A Level qualifications and now proud to say I have completed my undergraduate degree, I am comfortable with and passionate about learning and teaching, and I feel as though this knowledge can easily be passed on, or at least find methods that can be applied to whatever topics that students are struggling with.
As for my knowledge of the school curriculum and exam expectations, I have an overall understanding of how grading works in English and the emphasised view on phonic understanding (at Primary level) and grammatical and vocabulary importance in the years beyond that, as I was required to research this for my volunteering module at university in order to assist students.
September 2015 – May 2018: Coventry University
English and Creative Writing BA (Hons) – 2:1 Classification
Creating Stories for Children (2:1) – Tasked to write and illustrate a picture book aimed at children (aged six to seven) titled ‘Susie and the Greedy Rabbit,’ which explored the responsibilities behind a child owning their first pet. This was followed by the request to write a short story for older children, producing a 1000-word story for chosen age range (13 to 16-year olds) titled ‘Seek’.
Volunteering in Primary Schools: Literacy Support Skills (2:1) – Attended weekly sessions to work with Year 3 students to develop their literacy comprehension skills by taking them out of the classroom and letting them read a story of their choice, engaging them by asking questions to make sure that text plot and meaning was understood. Produced a reflective commentary on the progress of students I worked with and how their comprehension developed.
Writing for Magazines (2:1) - Learned how to write and pitch to different categories of magazines, including travel writing, and produced a report showcasing an understanding of the process of magazine publication, being assigned to the marketing team of the university creative magazine, CovWords.
September 2013 – June 2015: City of Oxford College
A Levels: 3 (English Language and Literature, Media Studies and Sociology)
September 2018 – November 2018: Society19 UK
• Pitching original topics to the internship team leaders each week
• Writing articles with SEO optimisation, to engage and spark interest with readers, across various categories such as beauty, fashion, university life etc
• Sourcing appropriate images to illustrate the main points of articles, making it visually appealing as well as attaching SEO focus to optimise
• Marketing articles to specific groups via Facebook that would find articles interesting and informative
January 2016 – March 2016: Longford Park Primary School
• Enthusiastically encouraged students to develop their ability to comprehend literary texts via engaging questions
• Prepared activities relating to reading that would engage and excite children, including short plays and writing their own stories to perform
• Proactively assisted staff in classroom work and provided help for students struggling to complete activities set by the teacher
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|