My classes are flexible, depending on the needs and preferences of the individual student and their family. I typically teach to support the national curriculum, in order to help students gain the best grades they can. My style is friendly and fun; I firmly believe that for a student to succeed, they must be enjoying themselves.
I am currently an English Literature student at the University of Sheffield. I studied English Literature, History and Religious Studies at A-Level, alongside an EPQ in English and politics, achieving an A*, 2 As and a B. I achieved 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE. I teach 3 days a week as a supply teacher for special educational needs schools.
Miss Bethany Eve Thomas
24 Broomhall Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 2DR
Tel: (concealed information)6
Email: (concealed information)
Date of Birth: 26/07/2000
A diligent and motivated individual looking to work around a low-intensity university course in order to gain experience in a professional environment, and to offer services back to the community. I can offer Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays every week until June and can work at late notice.
Education and Qualifications:
Second year studying a BA in English Literature at the University of Sheffield.
Sixth Form Education:
King Edward VI Handsworth Sixth Form, Birmingham (September 2016 – June 2018):
- 2 As and a B at A level in English Literature, History and Religious Studies respectively
- A* in EPQ (Extended Project Question considering the relationship between politics and literature)
- B in AS Biology
King Edward VI Handsworth School, Birmingham (September 2011 – June 2016):
- 8 A*s and 3As at GCSE
- Sports Leader Level 1 and 2
School and Sixth Form Responsibilities:
- Deputy Head Girl (2017 – 2018) – organised events (such as the year 13 prom), edited and produced year books and designed and ordered matching hoodies for the year group, alongside regularly meeting with senior staff members to discuss upcoming events. It also included leading teams of Senior Prefects, such as the House Captains, meeting parents and conducting tours, and speaking at formal events and assemblies.
- Pupil Librarian (2012 – 2017) – organised the book fair twice annually, advertising the event and managing the finances and sales.
- School Councillor (2016 – 2018) – attended and organised meetings for the contribution of ideas for changes within the school; I also met with the younger years’ representatives.
- School Magazine Editor (2016 – 2017) – chaired weekly meetings with the writers and artists to discuss content, edited written articles and oversaw the artistic editors, alongside meeting external deadlines for publication.
- Bar Mock Trial Participant (2016 – 2017) – attended meetings at least twice a week, with additional meetings outside of school, to work on a mock witness statement before presenting it in a courtroom as part of the national competition; my team won the regional round and came eighth nationally.
- Volunteering in rural Sri Lankan communities (Summer 2017) – spent time in the local school, helping to teach in the classrooms, paint the buildings and play with the children.
- St John’s Primary School, Sparkhill (Summer 2016) – assisted in a reception classroom, supporting the students in their learning, including working extensively with a student with Down syndrome.
- BBC School Report Student Leader (2016 – 2017) – attended weekly meetings with younger students, working one-on-one to shape and support their ideas and editing their final pieces.
- Sports Leader (2015 – 2017) – organised a sports relief mile for young people aged eleven to eighteen, in which approximately 1,000 took part.
Other Experience and Volunteering:
- Volunteer at Cancer Research Charity Shop (October 2019 – present) – preparing donations for the shop floor, keeping the shop tidy and working the till.
- Admin Volunteer at Sheffield Cathedral (October 2019 – present) – making copyright reports, organising databases, photocopying material and proofreading.
- Assistant Editor of a Refugees United Anthology (October 2018 – May 2019) – transcribed and edited autobiographical pieces written by refugees for publication.
- Work Experience as Production Editor with Palgrave Macmillan Publishers (November 2018) – shadowed Production Editors and assisted with the proof reading of upcoming publications.
- Youth Representative on the PCC of St Christopher’s Church, Sparkhill (Autumn 2016 – Summer 2018) – attended and contributed to bi-monthly meetings regarding the administrative concerns of the Church and any financial matters.
- Narthex Food Bank Volunteer (Spring 2017) – encouraged supermarket shoppers to make a food donation based on lists of necessary items that I handed out.
- Events Co-ordinator for Christian Aid (Autumn/Winter 2016) – attended a weekly office placement working to organise a sponsored swim and Christmas concert for the charity.
- Aquarius (Summer 2016) – transcribed interviews for a book of personal stories for the charity which was published the following year.
- Waitress and Bartender at The Summerhouse (June 2019 – September 2019) – worked shifts as long as eleven hours serving customers, clearing and cleaning tables, preparing starters in the kitchen, organising orders and working the till.
- Babysitting (2016 – 2018) – cared for the children of two families on a regular basis, entertaining and looking after them in the absence of their parents.
- Leafletting for local Labour councillor (Summer 2016) – walked the local area delivering leaflets updating the public on current issues, particularly the Brexit referendum.
I am a pianist and clarinettist, enjoying playing both individually and in bands. I take a keen interest in my own health and run regularly. As my current degree indicates, I love reading and am especially fond of the Brontës. I write regularly for the student paper in Sheffield and for the local magazine NowThen, which includes attending events within the community and requires strict discipline to meet deadlines. I have a passion for learning and invest time wholeheartedly into my degree, and my love of reading and writing supports this, and I hope to share this passion for education and for wider life with others.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£70||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£140||£150|