I am passionate about literature and teaching, and believe strongly in helping my students uncover the subject rather than trying to cram knowledge into them.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach all aspects of English literature, from A level to postgraduate, concentrating on essay crafting, writing styles, editing, research methodology and close reading. While my specialism is in Renaissance literature, I am comfortable with the full range of texts studied at school and university.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I hold a PhD in Renaissance literature, a Masters in research (distinction) and a first class degree in English literature, all from Queen Mary, University of London, as well as a postgraduate certificate in the management of learning and teaching. I am also a level two cricket coach, and have published widely on music and cricket, as well as in my academic field.
- How much do you charge?
I charge £30 ph for tutoring, and £20 ph for proof-reading. An initial lesson is £15.
- Where do you teach?
I prefer to teach from home, but I will travel up to 20 miles for an additional premium (to be negotiated).
- When are you available?
I am available weekday afternoons and evenings, Saturdays and the occasional Sunday afternoon
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach from A-level upwards.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I am happy to tutor online using skype alongside pieces sent via email.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have been an active educator for over twenty years, first teaching music at the London Music School, both one-to-one and in classes, before graduating to higher education. I have lectured in English at Goldsmiths College, Sussex University, Brunel University, Central School of Speech and Drama, and Queen Mary, UoL. While my primary subject has been Renaissance Literature and Shakespeare, I have also taught a wide range of other courses, from poetry to philosophy of science. I hold a valid CRB certificate.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
I trained at Queen Mary, University of London with Professors Graham Rees and Lisa Jardine.
• BA (hons) English Literature first class
• MRes (distinction), PhD Renaissance Literature/HIstory of Ideas, Postgraduate Certificate in the Management of Learning and Teaching
• enhanced disclosure
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|