I am a tutor specialising in English literature and language, but have also taught a wide range of subjects from GCSE through to Undergraduate level. I like to tailor my lessons to individual needs (particularly if students require help for specific deadlines/examinations) and am quick to identify problems with work and their solutions. Depending on the nature of the subject, I will aim to supply an organised and comprehensive structure to lessons, focussing as necessary on factual, structural/grammatical and creative aspects to learning.
My last position was in Moscow teaching English, Philosophy, Media and History, so I am very happy to work with students who need help with these or similar subjects. Teaching abroad has meant that I have developed a flexible and understanding approach to teaching and an ability to know what is needed by different students and age groups. I have taught students ranging from young teenagers to adult business learners, in classroom situations, private one-to-one tuition and online. I have been happy to help my students achieve their goals, for example buy securing entrance places to schools and universities after successfully passing English entrance tests or by hugely improving their grades in GCSE/A/AS-Level examinations.
• Royal Holloway, University of London (2014-15): MA Documentary by Practice: 2:1
• Royal Holloway, University of London (2011-14): BA English and Philosophy: 1st class hons.
• Durham Sixth Form Centre (2009-11): A2 Eng. Lit (A*), A2 Government and Politics (A*), A2 Philosophy (A), AS Classical Civilisation (A).
Lucullus Language School (Moscow): 2016-17
• Living abroad in Moscow for a year and becoming familiar with the language and culture.
• Teaching English language skills
• Proofreading, editing and correcting written work
• Teaching literature, philosophy, art and film courses to young people and adults
• Communicating and presenting work and reports
• Responding to individual and differing needs and interests in the field of academic and creative work
• Working within a busy team of teachers and language assistants
Freelance teacher and language tutor: 2013-2015
• Supporting English language speaking and writing skills
• Teaching presentation skills regarding style, structure and content
• Proofreading across a range of different subjects (English, History, Geography, Sociology)
• Identifying mistakes
• Writing and Young Persons’ Journalism Group: Mentor and assistant
• Creative Writing Magazine (university): Sub-editor and contributor
• Creative Writing (university society): Vice President and Secretary
• Amnesty International (university society): Active member and contributor
• Drama Production (university): Shadow Director/Stage Manager/Script support
• Writing skills, both academic and creative
• Strong interest in different forms of writing and production, from fiction to narrative and observational journalism
• Ability to edit, proofread and identify grammatical and formatting errors in written work, with experience of a wide variety of styles and subject matter
• IT literacy across a range of computer software programs: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint; as well as communication programs such as Slack and Trello
• Competency in use of film editing software (Final Cut Pro X)
• Knowledge of photography and cinematography in the field of documentary filmmaking and art and film criticism
• Filmmaking and directorial skills, with an appreciation of how to relate to stories and communications in a sensitive fashion
• Interest in art, music, theatre and cultural criticism
• Knowledge of the Russian language (B1 standard)
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest academic tutoring lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking modern literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£15|