My lessons are driven by what you need: passing exams? Let's get that technique! Understanding concepts? Context, discussion, challenge, and exercise! Simply love chemistry? You're in the right place.
I bring my knowledge of the practice, theory, and teaching of chemistry, delivering a diverse and thought-provoking experience. Practicals can be arranged on request.
I graduated from Imperial College in 2011, with a 1st in Chemistry. Since then, I've helped develop the blackest material known to man, film hundreds of chemistry experiments, develop an iOS chemistry game, and I now make educational videos. My students have gone on to A-grades, and degrees at Russell Group universities. I am familiar with UK and international curricula.
No penalty with 24 hours' notice; 50% of session fee if less.
Passionate chemist, educator, programmer, video producer, and content writer. Imperial graduate, materials chemist, and long-time tutor.
AREAS OF STRENGTH
UK and international curricula
Interest and perspective
Private Tutor (2013 – Present)
• Developer of chemistry-inspired iPhone game (2018, Chemtrix)
• Creator of shout.education, an education hub for A-level chemistry, designed for usability and accessibility
Nagwa, Windsor, UK (2018 – Present)
Chemistry Video Developer (Present), Chemistry Content Writer (2018-19)
Developing curriculum-driven learning materials from primary school to undergraduate level. Project-managing the production of live-action experimental videos.
• Designed, produced, directed and managed the live-action video demonstration project
• Wrote US undergraduate and UK GCSE courses in chemistry
City of London Academy Islington, London, UK (2016 – 2018)
Media Resources Manager
RGB Co., Acton, London, UK – The Chemistry Project (2015 – 2016)
Assistant Producer (2016); Production Associate (2015-16)
Wrote content, filmed experiments, and provided scientific consulting to authors, designers and software engineers for interactive iPad chemistry textbook. Oversaw five-member production team including film crew, editors and designers. Collaborated with authors and international team to guarantee detailed content correlation with international chemistry curricula.
• Coordinated and executed more than 200 chemical experiments used as basis for textbook.
• Transitioned from assisting to leading studio production team.
Surrey NanoSystems, New Haven, East Sussex, UK (2013 – 2015)
Utilized catalyst deposition, photothermal CNT growth, CVD thin film deposition, and wet chemical synthesis in developing novel carbon nanotube/polymer composites. Served as health and safety officer, cleaning lab spaces, producing risk assessments and SOPs, guaranteeing company met COSHH, DSEAR, REACH and GLP regulations. Helped design spray-on coating prototype.
• Served as researcher and chemical safety officer on team developing Vantablack.
• Worked as primary scientist on Vantablack S-VIS spray-on coating.
• Invented methods to infiltrate carbon nanotube forests with multiple polymer systems.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Ph.D. Courses, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand (2012)
Master of Science, Chemistry with Molecular Physics, Imperial College, London, UK (2007 – 2011)
1st Class with Honours
Progressing synthesis and purification methods of gold nanoparticles and their application in DNA sensing.
A-/AS-Levels, Hillsyde Sixth Form, London, UK (2005 – 2007)
A-levels: Chemistry (A), Physics (A) & Mathematics (A) / AS-Level Biology (B)
ICT Intermediate GNVQ (Distinction), Forest Hill School. London, UK (2003 – 2005)
Science London, British Science Association Volunteers (2017 – 2019)
Chair (2017-2019); SciBar Officer (2017)
Coordinated a team of volunteers, planning and organising events in London: networking with scientists and outreach organisations; liaising with venues; designing support materials and managing a design and research team to support events. Developing and running volunteer training events.
• Organised double-bill event with a University of Hertfordshire professor of pharmacology and a world-expert on production of artistic samples of pure chemical elements, June 11th 2017.
• Oversaw creation of debate on science funding, including grant proposal; event had 30+ attendees, with a panel of academics, medical educators and cancer researchers
STEM Learning (previously STEMNet) (2013 – Present)
Volunteer at careers fairs and science events in East Sussex. Judge for science competition entries at Big Bang Fair South East 2014, 2016 & 2017. Online judge 2016. Online moderator 2017.
chemistry lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest organic chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, thermodynamics lessons for all!
Taking electrochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|