As a tutor I aim to tailor lessons to fit your needs and knowledge gaps. I think it is important for my student to tell me what areas (grammar, conversational practice etc.) they wish to focus on and what topics they are interested in so I can make every lesson as enjoyable and engaging as possible!
Do not hesistate to get in touch!
Hello! My name is Melanie, I am currently a fourth and final year Human Geography student at the University of Edinburgh. I was born in Scotland but my family is French, consequently I have always benefited from a bilingual education. From the age of three up until starting university I went to a French speaking school, I sat all my GCSE and A Level equivalents within the French education system and this has allowed me to master the language perfectly. I am perfectly fluent in both French and English and I look forward to sharing my knowledge and enthusiasm for both languages!
I have experience teaching languages. During the summer of 2017 I tutored a French three-year-old boy two days per week and taught him English. From July to August 2018 I spent two months in Hong Kong teaching English to children aged 10 to 12. I found both experiences immensely enriching and I have developed a desire to continue teaching in parallel with my studies. Furthermore I am a GeogPALS leader, in other words I am part of a peer support learning programme at university and my role is to facilitate the immersion of first year students into undergraduate life and to ease the transition from 6 form university level of academic inquiry.
I am a dynamic and very motivated person, I remember having tutors as a child and teenager and I always really enjoyed those lessons and being able to connect with my tutor and I hope to be able to provide the same experience to any future student I would have the chance to teach!
- University of Edinburgh, 2015-2019, MA Geography (Hons), grade expected May 2019
- Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle London, 2013-2015, French Scientific Baccalauréat (A Levels equiv.), Highest honours (Mention Très Bien, Série S)
- Lycée Français Alexandre Dumas Moscow, 2009-2013, Brevet des Collèges (GCSE equiv.), Highest Honours (Mention Très Bien)
- English teacher, SPICE Volunteer Programme, Hong Kong, July – August 2018
- Journalism Internship for Geographical (the Royal Geographical Society’s official publication), Syon Publications, London, June – July 2018
- Waitress, Gourmet Food Parlour, Malahide (Ireland), June - July 2017
- Waitress and assistant chef, The Whiskey Scotch Experience, Edinburgh, September 2016 - April 2017
- Commis de cuisine (assistant chef), Restaurant Chez Bob, France, July - August 2016
- Tour guide and French translator, MyComm Edinburgh, March 2016
- Volunteering project for the reconstruction of the cultural heritage of France, July 2014
- Veolia London Internship, February 2014
I visited several integrated waste management facilities and learnt how the company transforms waste into a source of energy.
- French Embassy of Moscow Internship, June 2013
I got the opportunity to attend diplomatic meetings between French and Russian diplomats and witnessed the organization of events within the embassy.
Interests and Skills:
I have benefited from an international education therefore, I can fluently speak:
- French: mother tongue, highest honours in the French BAC final exam
- English : 8,5/9 IELTS (2014)
- German: I lived 4 years in Switzerland and 5 in Germany, 20/20 in my German final exam
- Spanish: I studied Spanish during 5 years, 19/20 in my Spanish final exam
Furthermore, I am also a sports’ enthusiasts and I have committed myself to several school events such as the 2013 10K Moscow Run or the annual climbing competition which has contributed to develop my team spirit and dedication. It also shows that I am motivated by new challenges.
Melanie Barrin has been a volunteer in HK for nearly 2 months this summer helping to run an English summer camp, designed to build self-confidence, for disadvantaged local children. In this role, she has done daily team teaching in a classroom environment, led outdoor activities and supervised children on outings. The children in the camp are aged 10-13.
Melanie is a very responsible and hardworking teacher who works very well with the children and makes learning fun, she is also a good team player!
As director of the programme I interviewed and selected Melanie and it is my pleasure to recommend her to you.
I am Melanie Barrin’s tutor in the Geography Degree Program in the School of GeoSciences, and have been since she began her degree. She is responsible, conscientious, and able to expertly balance academic commitments – as demonstrated by her impressive marks to date, particularly her 1st honours year in which she received first-class marks in a number of courses. She is multilingual with a knack for languages and I have no doubt she will make an excellent tutor.
Melanie interned with us at Geographical Magazine and proved herself to be a highly capable and very friendly addition to our team. Her command of language (essential for writing the news stories assigned to her) was superb and she showed an extremely high degree of enthusiasm and professionalism.
Always keen to show initiative and drive, she particularly impressed us with her ability to adapt to any task we gave her, demonstrating the kind of flexibility of thought required when dealing with a busy working environment.
Melanie excelled in all aspects of the job, and we really enjoyed her time working with us. As such I really cannot recommend her highly enough.
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension -french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|