As a tutor I aim to tailor lessons to fit your needs and knowledge gaps. I think it is important for my student to tell me what areas (grammar, conversational practice etc.) they wish to focus on and what topics they are interested in so I can make every lesson as enjoyable and engaging as possible!
Do not hesitate to get in touch!
Hello! My name is Melanie, I graduated with a First in Geography from the University of Edinburgh in July 2019 and since then, I have been teaching English as a foreign language and Science classes in English abroad. This allowed me to do some travelling. Now, I am back in Edinburgh, I will start training to become a Primary teacher in September and I am offering online or in person French tutoring lessons.
I was born in Scotland but my family is French, consequently I have always benefited from a bilingual education. From the age of three up until starting university I went to a French speaking school, I sat all my GCSE and A Level equivalents within the French education system and this has allowed me to master the language perfectly. I am perfectly fluent in both French and English and I look forward to sharing my knowledge and enthusiasm for both languages!
I have experience teaching languages to both Primary and Secondary students. In August 2019 I was a teacher in an English summer camp in Asia. My students were between 16 and 17 years old and designed my lessons around topics they found interesting such as physical activities, famous people and relationships between friends and family to develop their English speaking, reading and writing abilities. From August 2019 to January 2020 I taught English to primary students aged 7 to 8 and 10 to 12. I designed my own classes and therefore, I also have a lot of experience coming up with creative ways to teach educational content. During the summer of 2017, I tutored a French three-year-old boy two days per week and taught him English. From July to August 2018 I spent two months in Hong Kong teaching English to children aged 10 to 12. I found these experiences immensely enriching and in my last year of university, I became a GeogPALS leader to continue teaching in parallel with my studies. As a GeogPALS leader, I was part of a peer support learning programme at university and my role was to facilitate the immersion of first year students into undergraduate life and to help them understand new and sometimes challenging academic content.
I am a dynamic and very motivated person, I remember having tutors as a child and teenager and I always really enjoyed those lessons and being able to connect with my tutor and I hope to be able to provide the same experience to any future student I would have the chance to teach!
- TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) certificate, August 2019
- University of Edinburgh, 2015-2019, MA Geography (Hons), First Class Degree
- Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle London, 2013-2015, French Scientific Baccalauréat (A Levels equiv.), Highest honours (Mention Très Bien, Série S)
- Lycée Français Alexandre Dumas Moscow, 2009-2013, Brevet des Collèges (GCSE equiv.), Highest Honours (Mention Très Bien)
- English and Science in English Cambridge teacher at Nanhai Foreign Langue School, August 2019 to January 2020
- GeogPALS leader, University of Edinburgh, 2018 to 2019: I was awarded the Edinburgh Award for my role as a GeogPALS leader. We used to run sessions every week to help students transition into university life and covered topics such as how to best revise for an exam or how to structure a good essay.
- English teacher, SPICE Volunteer Programme, Hong Kong, July – August 2018
- Journalism Internship for Geographical (the Royal Geographical Society’s official publication), Syon Publications, London, June – July 2018
- Waitress, Gourmet Food Parlour, Malahide (Ireland), June - July 2017
- Private English Tutoring, summer 2017
- Waitress and assistant chef, The Whiskey Scotch Experience, Edinburgh, September 2016 - April 2017
- Commis de cuisine (assistant chef), Restaurant Chez Bob, France, July - August 2016
- Tour guide and French translator, MyComm Edinburgh, March 2016
- Volunteering project for the reconstruction of the cultural heritage of France, July 2014
- Veolia London Internship, February 2014
I visited several integrated waste management facilities and learnt how the company transforms waste into a source of energy.
- French Embassy of Moscow Internship, June 2013
I got the opportunity to attend diplomatic meetings between French and Russian diplomats and witnessed the organization of events within the embassy.
Interests and Skills:
I have benefited from an international education therefore, I can fluently speak:
- French: mother tongue, highest honours in the French BAC final exam
- English : 8,5/9 IELTS (2014)
- German: I lived 4 years in Switzerland and 5 in Germany, 20/20 in my German final exam
- Spanish: I studied Spanish during 5 years, 19/20 in my Spanish final exam
Furthermore, I am also a sports’ enthusiasts and I have committed myself to several school events such as the 2013 10K Moscow Run or the annual climbing competition which has contributed to develop my team spirit and dedication. It also shows that I am motivated by new challenges.
Perfect! Melanie is lovely and was really good with my son.
Good lesson, it was lovely meeting a new student.
Melanie gave me tutoring lessons to improve my French which I have not studied since high school. She was very patient and helpful especially when it came to pronounciation, which was where I really struggled. I would highly recommend Melanie to anyone looking to learn French!
Melanie Barrin has been a volunteer in HK for nearly 2 months this summer helping to run an English summer camp, designed to build self-confidence, for disadvantaged local children. In this role, she has done daily team teaching in a classroom environment, led outdoor activities and supervised children on outings. The children in the camp are aged 10-13.
Melanie is a very responsible and hardworking teacher who works very well with the children and makes learning fun, she is also a good team player!
As director of the programme I interviewed and selected Melanie and it is my pleasure to recommend her to you.
I am Melanie Barrin’s tutor in the Geography Degree Program in the School of GeoSciences, and have been since she began her degree. She is responsible, conscientious, and able to expertly balance academic commitments – as demonstrated by her impressive marks to date, particularly her 1st honours year in which she received first-class marks in a number of courses. She is multilingual with a knack for languages and I have no doubt she will make an excellent tutor.
Melanie interned with us at Geographical Magazine and proved herself to be a highly capable and very friendly addition to our team. Her command of language (essential for writing the news stories assigned to her) was superb and she showed an extremely high degree of enthusiasm and professionalism.
Always keen to show initiative and drive, she particularly impressed us with her ability to adapt to any task we gave her, demonstrating the kind of flexibility of thought required when dealing with a busy working environment.
Melanie excelled in all aspects of the job, and we really enjoyed her time working with us. As such I really cannot recommend her highly enough.
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension -french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||£25|