As an experienced English and Portuguese as foreign languages teacher/tutor, I have developed a passion and personal commitment to helping my students succeed. I have extensive experience teaching and developing material for courses in English and Portuguese (EFL/EAL/EAP/IELTS, and PLE – Portuguese as a Foreign Language) in a range of educational institutions from secondary schools to universities, and pupils of several different nationalities and ability levels. I have great teamwork and interpersonal skills, am self-motivated, an excellent communicator and problem solver.
In my most recent teaching position at Bangor International College, I developed highly effective lesson plans, motivational exercises, and performance assessments, for both EFL and EAP groups, composed of international students from several different nations. I have helped improve test scores, and have received positive feedback from students, fellow educators, and management alike for my abilities in the classroom. My teaching style demonstrates dedication to fostering a positive learning environment for all students and maximizing individual student performance, as well as emphasizing learning autonomy and mutual respect.
• Over 18 years of broad experience teaching both English and Portuguese as modern foreign languages;
• Teaching languages on Skype since 2012;
• Freelance translator of English to Portuguese and Portuguese to English since 2000;
• A strong background in English for Academic Purposes;
• Proven skills in getting students to engage in their learning process and develop a positive learning culture;
• Skilled in working independently and as part of a team;
• Demonstrated the ability to innovate in my teaching and listen to both students and employer to modify and adapt course content, delivery and classroom interaction;
• Professional communication skills include English at a near-native level, Portuguese at a native level, and Spanish at an intermediate level;
• Recent MA in Education Studies from Bangor University, Wales;
• Computer skills include MS Office, Internet and e-mail;
BA, PGDip, and MA in Education, currently working on becoming a CELTA holder.
Same rate to either English or Portuguese. Often, but not always, booklets are free of charge. No hidden charges at al. Payment by PayPal.
• Oxford International Education Group at Bangor International College – EAP tutor. Responsible for the provision of EAP for the International Year Zero and Pre-sessional English groups, from October 2016 to April 2017.
• ELCOS at Bangor- EAP tutor from 22nd of August to 16th of September 2016 (hired for the intensive summer course). This course gave me the opportunity to deliver the orientation programme to overseas students, along with English for Academic Purposes, mainly focused on academic writing;
• Skill Baeta Neves and Assunção Language Schools in São Paulo, Brazil – English (EFL) and Portuguese (PLE) Tutor from February 2009 to July 2015. The experience in language schools is different from that in secondary schools, colleges, and universities. I improved my skills in teaching English to individuals and small groups of pupils;
• Methodist Secondary School and College of São Paulo, Brazil - English and Portuguese teacher from January 2008 to December 2008. Through my relationship with the Methodist University, I had the opportunity to teach at their primary and secondary schools and learnt about the skills required to teach pupils aged eight to fifteen. I was also able to develop my skills in digital literacy and classroom management;
• Methodist University of São Paulo, Brazil – English teacher (EFL/EAP/Business English) and Portuguese (PLE) from January 2002 to December 2009. I devised and administered tests as well as lessons at an academic level, assisted in annual English-speaking seminars held by the university, as well as attended several professional development training sessions for teachers;
• British and American, English school in São Paulo, Brazil - English Tutor from 2000 to 2002. At this school, I had the opportunity to learn the Mnemo Technique and Neuro-linguistic approaches to the teaching of languages;
• Self-employed language tutor since 2002 - teaching English and Portuguese in private tutoring lessons has given me autonomy and sense of responsibility, which has permeated my entire professional and academic careers. Teaching EFL and PLE on Skype since 2012;
• Teaching EFL to international students in Bangor during the MA, from October 2015 to December 2016. Most students lived in my area and were struggling with their language skills. I provide unpaid tutoring tailored to their reading and writing difficulties in relation to their courses;
• Course Representative for the 2015/16 MA group;
• Delivered presentations about EFL acquisition. To a PhD student at the Methodist University (2004), to a local television channel (EcoTv, 2012), and to an online arts and culture channel (Rudge Ramos Online, 2015), and to an Education undergrad group at Bangor University;
Highlights of Education
• Postgraduate - MA in Education Studies with placement- Bangor University, September 2015 to December 2016. During this course, I have taken the following modules: Assessment in Education, Curriculum Development, Leadership and Management, and Research Methods. I have achieved an overall merit for my assessed modules. Dissertation involved research into the issues that affect adults learning a foreign language, expecting a Distinction;
• Postgraduate - PGDip Specialisation in the English Language - Methodist University of São Paulo, Brazil. February 2007 to September 2008. In this course, I studied strategies for the development of the four language skills in the classroom, teaching approaches, social-constructivism, interactionism, and behaviourism, distance language education and educational psychology;
• Undergraduate- BA in Education and Languages- Portuguese and English, Literature and Translation - Methodist University of São Paulo. January 2000 to December 2002. During this BA, I opted for focusing on teaching Portuguese and English as foreign languages;
• Currently enrolled to start a CELTA certification (full-time) in May 2018;
• International Business English, 2005- English Studies Canada- Vancouver, Canada;
• IELTS – January 2018 – Overall score: 8.0; Speaking:8.5, Listening: 8.5, Reading: 9.0 and Writing 6.5;
• “Why can’t I learn English?” An Examination of the Effect of Emotions on the English Proficiency of EFL Adult Learners. Self-publish e-book discussing the emotional impairments that are detrimental to adults trying to learn a foreign language, such as English. 2017;
Referees are available upon request
oral expression - english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, written comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£10|