I am currently working as a secondary school English teacher in North London and have experience tutoring in London and abroad. I work with students aged 11-16, preparing them for their GCSEs; this includes studying a range of novels, plays, poetry and non-fiction texts, as well as doing creative writing.
As with my lessons in schools, my approach to tutoring is creative but clear. I always make sure I fully establish and outline each student's individual goals and ambitions in the subject so that I am able to ensure their success and progress. At the same time, I want them to enjoy their learning and choose to develop it further themselves, so I devote time to open conversation and questioning around the subject and look for opportunities to incorporate their own interests into lessons wherever possible.
I have been teaching for almost three years now, and most of my experience has been with students aged 11-18 in English lessons. The size of classes I have taught has normally ranged from 25-30 students although I have also taught smaller classes and tutored students one-to-one in London, as well as Vietnam and Thailand (where I worked as an ESL teacher and tutor). As a result of my teaching, students have achieved and surpassed their target grades in their English GCSEs and iGCSEs.
I am an enthusiastic and creative teacher of English Literature and Language with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as prior experience working in a diverse range of schools in both London and abroad. My adaptability and empathy are coupled with a proactive, conscientious and professional approach to teaching which engages, stimulates and inspires students.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND PLACEMENTS
September 2015- present:
NQT English Language and Literature Parliament Hill School
As a Teacher of English at Parliament Hill, I have taught students primarily at Key Stages 3 and 4, with some experience at Key Stage 5. As well as my subject specific duties, I have also taken on a Year 11 tutor group, who I have supported pastorally in the lead up to their GCSE exams, preparing them for their journey on to college and higher education.
• Successfully teaching across Key Stages.
• Knowledge of the English National Curriculum across Key Stages.
• Experience of teaching the Cambridge iGCSE successfully throughout the year.
• Curriculum planning and development: developing resources and schemes of work
• Engaging pro-actively with CPD opportunities through the school’s training programme
• Becoming a form tutor for a Year 11 tutor group, fulfilling pastoral duties.
• Fulfilling wider professional responsibilities including supervising school trips and events.
September 2014- August 2015:
UCL Institute of Education: PGCE English
As a student teacher, I completed successful placements at both Fortismere School and Queen Elizabeth’s Boys School. For both placements I addressed and achieved all of the Teaching Standards, receiving the highest grading in both of my end of placement reports.
Queen Elizabeth’s Boys School (Feb 2015- May 2015)
• Experience successfully teaching English at Key Stages 3, 4 and 5.
• Achievement of all UK Teaching Standards to a high standard
• Created and adapted lessons for Key Stages 3, 4 and 5
• Monitored learning through a range of formative and summative methods
• Collaborated with my school based mentor to introduce and run the school literature club
• Worked as a co-tutor for a year 7 class and ran tutor sessions independently
Fortismere School (Sept 2014- Jan 2015)
• Experience successfully teaching English at Key Stages 3 and 4
• Collaborated with other PGCE students on our School Based Study on the school homework system and presented it to the Senior Leadership Team
• Worked as a co-tutor for a Vertical Tutor group (years 7-11)
October 2013- August 2014:
Learning Support Assistant at Hornsey School for Girls (October 2013- Present):
As a learning support assistant at Hornsey School for Girls I worked primarily with SEND students from ages 11-16, supporting them in both one-to-one sessions and in subject lessons across the National Curriculum, particularly in the core subjects.
• Gaining invaluable experience with SEND students of different ages and abilities.
• Experience working in classes across the school curriculum, including Mathematics and Science.
July 2013- September 2013
English Teaching Assistant with the British Council Teaching English in Thailand Project (TET
British Council TET Project 2013: Derek Spafford, (concealed information) Tel: +66(0)2 657 5665.
This was a volunteer position for graduates which was organised by the British Council in order to help Thai schools to find native-speaking English teachers. The project lasted for two months; I was placed at the Banhuayprab School, a primary school in Rayong Province in Thailand. On average, I taught classes of 50, including some students with learning difficulties.
• Adapting to new surroundings both professionally and culturally.
• Organisation skills, co-operation and teamwork: as well as lesson planning, I organised the school’s two-day ‘English Camp’ with the Thai English Teachers.
• Assertiveness, time management, empathy and understanding.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
PGCE English (with QTS) from the UCL Institute of Education
BA English Literature from the University of Sussex: 2:1.
A-Levels: English A. History A. Philosophy B. Drama (AS level) A.
11 GCSEs: grades A*-B including English, Mathematics, Science, French and ICT.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and an enthusiastic attitude to teaching
• Adaptable and creative lesson planner
• Commitment to raising expectations and supporting students progress and attainment
• Continued engagement with pedagogy and academia through my MA English education
• Extensive experience with Microsoft Office and other programmes gained through work experience
I am pleased to provide references on request.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, school support lessons for all!
Taking test prep lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|
|5 hours||Not available||£135||£150|
|10 hours||Not available||£260||£300|