The role of teaching takes on a broad responsibility of educating a student creatively, intellectually and emotionally. As a creative writer, with poetry and philosophy forming the backbone to my approach, I will be able to guide the student to cope with any anxieties, fears and apprehensions they may have when completing work. Pressure and stress can stall a person's ability to think. By being patient, forming an emotional connection and speaking to them about their lives outside of school I can potentially set the student up to cope with many challenges in the future. I have received excellent feedback from several long running tutees about my help in developing them as a human being in addition to their academic output leading to multiple referrals. I believe that tutoring should not just be a strict, orderly process, but an imaginative, fun and expansive learning curve. I get to understand a different person's attitudes and develop a bond of empathy to make the other person feel more secure in their environment.
Tutoring is a two way learning simulation as I improve my knowledge of the behaviour, moods, interests and personalities each individual has. I am especially proficient in the fields of creative writing, poetry and world literature, with a focus on divergent thinking and critical analytic skills.
My teaching experience stems from working in primary, secondary and summer schools in London. Over 1500 hours of tutoring have been clocked up; I have been involved in education for seven years and have been tutoring consistently over this period.
I have tutored over 30 students and taught hundreds across the various schools I have worked at. This covers a range of subjects and abilities from Key Stage 1 to A-Level, SEN/learning difficulties to high achieving students.
My students have gone on to achieve A grades in English GCSE and passed their entrance exams for grammar schools. They have also received excellent coaching with their creative writing and been awarded publication rights for their work.
Nov 2012-current Blue Tutors/Self-employed, London: Private Academic Tutor
• English, Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Science home tuition at all levels from KS1 to A-Level.
• Multiple referrals; long running tutees; outstanding achievement including two 11+ entrance exam passes into Grammar schools. Regular contact with parents and monitoring work recorded periodically.
Jul 2017-Jul 2017 Oxford International Education Group, London: Teacher
• Taught English as a Foreign Language to several classes for two weeks with abilities ranging from elementary to upper-intermediate.
Jan 2017-July 2017 Summerswood Primary School, Hertfordshire: Teaching Assistant
• Working in year 6 class. Teaching whole class, conducting small group interventions, marking, reporting, copying, putting up displays, liaising with staff and parents, pediatric first aid trained.
• Time management, strong leadership, meticulous organization, recording/assorting files, using initiative.
Nov 2014-Jan 2017 Highlands School, London: Learning Support Assistant
• Attained Level 4 HLTA & Level 2 TA qualifications through training/learning at secondary school and college.
• Help to create resources; act as a mediator between teachers and students in classrooms; work with SEN children; gained knowledge of the autistic spectrum, dyslexia, ADHD, hearing impaired, EAL, SEMH. Key worker for three SEN students.
• Self-started a weekly construction club and poetry/hip-hop extracurricular creative writing group.
Jan 2014- Feb 2014 Teaching in Sri Lanka
• Taught English as a foreign language in Sri Lanka to a group of 15-20 students several times during a month’s duration without any assistance or resources. I communicated bilingually in English and Tamil.
Oct 2009- July 2012 University of Warwick
BSc degree in Accounting & Finance, Achieved degree class: Lower Second Class
Sep 2003 – Jun 2009 Ashmole School, London
A-level passes (All 2009 except Mathematics- 2008): Mathematics (A), Economics (A), Chemistry (B), Geography (C)
GCSE passes (All 2007 except Mathematics- Jun 2006): 1 A*, 4 A’s, 4 B’s, 1 C (including A* for Mathematics and B for English)
Interests and Achievements
Creative Artist: Published poet in print and online; perform readings regularly at various venues, both features and open mic; created a weekly poetry class for secondary school students; run self-started creative writing blog; attend philosophy/literature reading groups. Completed creative facilitation course; curating joint art exhibition for poetry.
Spiritual Practices: Skilled practitioner of Buddhist (Triatna and Zen) meditation and Hindu yoga. Attended two weekend retreats.
Languages: Native English speaker; business fluent in Tamil; basic level of proficiency in Norwegian and French.
Sports: I have played for a football team in both Norway and England. Attend Muay Thai classes once a week; fought competitively. Practiced in other martial arts such as Jeet-Kune-Do and MMA. Frequent cyclist and occasional runner.
Music: Keyboard Grade 2, longtime acoustic guitar player and avid listener. Attend many festivals and events.
Nature: Volunteer for conservation group (TCV) in London: coppicing, pollarding, pond management, building green gym.
Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award: Gathered communication, leadership, teamwork, organisation and commitment skills.
Liba really knows how to make learning an enjoyable and creative experience. He has an abundance of energy and is particularly passionate about poetry and creative writing. Both my children wish he was their class teacher.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, poetry lessons for all!
Taking critical thinking lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|