I am a experienced college lecturer and a private tutor who has a degree in fashion and textiles. I am very outgoing and a bubbly person, my lessons are anything but boring, I like to make my lessons fun but also get the work done. I give lessons to beginners, intermediates and current college/university students who are studying Fashion or and textiles. I help with portfolios, photo-shoots, Photoshop, pattern cutting, fashion marketing, fashion history, knitting (machine) sewing (machine) and hand embroidery. My method of teaching is very practical; I get my students physically involved with anything that I teach. Listening to students and giving them exactly what they are asking for is one of my main priorities, I constantly ask my students if they understand my work and if they don`t, I change my method to how they would understand it the best.
I have experience in teaching at different academies, I was a teacher at JJAADA academy where I was also a senior design consultant/tutor, I had the pleasure of teaching clients from all around the world.
I was a freelance lecturer at London College of contemporary arts and EThames college where I also had to do one on one teaching. My students gave me great feedback and have all passed their assessments to their full potential. I have taught different students from different abilities and backgrounds, and because of my experience I can easily work with any type of learner.
I am a person who is driven to always give her best in every phase of life. I am always keen to increase my knowledge and expand my skill set. I am an individual who is passionate about giving attention to detail and I always present my own ideas with confidence. I am excited by new challenges and seek continuous professional development.
University of West London (2011- 2014)
BA(Hons) Fashion and Textiles
Valentines High School Sixth Form (2009-2011)
Information and Communication Technology (Distinction)
Art and Design (Double Merit)
Valentines High School (2004-2009)
5 GCSE’s grades A to C including English and Maths.
• Knitting (machine)
• Hand embroidery
• Pattern Cutting
• Team working: I enjoy team working and am an excellent team player also I was the project manager for my Fashion Marketing module at university.
• Communication skills: Due to my experience as a sales assistant and sales consultant I am able to both communicate my ideas and listen to others opinions.
• Customer orientation Skills: I have experience from my employment history of face-to-face customer service and experience of negotiating with and persuading clients.
• Time management: Being organised and meeting deadlines is essential in maintaining a high standard both professionally and academically.
April 2019- currently (Part time) SEN kids playworker.
Sep 2018-Currently - dressmaker (own business)
I design and make made to measure dresses for clients and I also do alterations.
Sep 2017- senior consultant tutor (manager) at art and design (JJAADA) academy
• interviewing clients, attending meetings, managing timetables and events (trips to see design museums and showrooms), also handling any complaints from tutors or clients.
• Working on various interior designing projects with clients from different countries (weddings, hospital rooms, houses etc.)
• Designing and Teaching how to; work with colour, space and shapes, furniture designing.
• Learning how to; draw, create mood board, creating prints from drawings on Photoshop, how to research, learning about different interior styles and fabric sampling.
• Shopping and researching for clients projects, showing them the best interior showrooms and exhibitions in London.
Feb-July 2017- freelance lecturer- access course at London College of contemporary arts
•Giving lectures for “culture studies for designs”, “note taking note making” and “Writing Standard English”
•Marking and giving feedback
• Taking students to museums and exhibitions.
Jan 2016/August 2017- part time IT and professional skill development tutor at EThames Graduate School
•Helping students with English difficulties
•Teaching students basic IT skills
• lesson planning
Jan-July 2016-part time level 3(access course) –Fashion business Lecturer at EThames Graduate School
• Lectures and setting mini tasks/activities
• One on one teaching
• Lesson planning
• Attending course meetings
• Staff development days once a month
• Marking and giving feedback
Currently- part time self-employed (selling art prints and trading)
May/2015-Graham and green (furniture showroom)
• Decorating and making space for new furniture in the showroom in a creative and stylish way
• Serving customers in a very friendly manner , offering and making them tea and coffee
• Cleaning and keeping the showroom spotless and tidy at all times
• Pricing the products with the correct price tags
• Always looking out for out of stock products on the website and making sure that the products have out of stock tags with the right details
• Suggesting more products to go with the products that the customers are interested in.
• Packing and unpacking products
• Entertaining and being good with kids while their parents shop
September/2014 - Bhavna (ecommerce luxury scarves and kaftans/dress brand)
Internship: Assistant print designer
• Have designed a range of clothing and scarves
• Sales assistant at Kensington Olympia shows; “Spirit of Christmas” and trade show “Top Drawer”. Chelsea Christmas Pop-Up and stall market in Liverpool
• Designed brand packaging/identity; booklets, box, leaflet, bags and slogans
• Research for collaborations with other brands, trend research, fabric research and events research.
• Trend Research and Analysis
• Assisting the team in the management of samples –unpacking, quality checking of products etc.
• Photo-shoot (stylist)
• Designing and styling stands at Kensington Olympia trade shows
• Researching trends and creating mood boards
• Brand promoting
• Attended trade shows such as Pure to buy the right products for the company
• Have also sewn for this brand
• Attended buyers meetings
2008 to Present – Self Employed (Part Time) – Selling personalised hand embroidery cushions
August/2014 – Babysitter (I provide occasional childcare in the child's home)
August/2014 - Roxannes (Interiors machinist)
• Following fabric, colour and size instructions from the designer.
• Using a range of industrial machines such as Overlockers and Eyeletting machines.
• Adjusting machinery for different fabrics.
• Stitching sections together and adding labels to products.
• Pressing the fabrics to give it a 'finished' appearance.
• Advising the designing team about the best way to construct the sample.
• Discussing any ‘tweaks’ to the design instructions before the item goes into production.
• Returning the samples for final approval before manufacturing begins.
2009 to 2014 - Fashion show helper (in various different university fashion shows)
August/2014 - Backstage at London Fashion Week event the catwalk edit (Dresser)
July/2014 - Telltails - costume suppliers to Selfridges & Co. toyshop (Machinist)
May/2013 - Trade charity clothing shop (Bag Project)
• Creating a fashionable eco-friendly bag
Perfect! Maria has taught my 8yr old daughter everything to do with dressmaking. She is very experienced and knowledgeable. She keeps her lesson effective, engaging and fun. My daughter is able to stay focus and overcome her fear of using the machine. We will continue to use Maria.
fashion design lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sewing machinery lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, embroidery lessons for all!
Taking knitting lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||Not available|