My Teaching method is online and student centred in that the student has a lot to offer , regardless of a lack of a specific subject- knowledge. I adhere to student question style of teaching. Encouraging all questions. My philosophy is 'the only daft question is , a question that isnt asked'. My students do not work in 'silos' but as a team we work together to whichever goal. Building upon the students already acquired knowledge, increasing confidence from day one.
I am an experienced Former I.T. Engineer for National and International Businesses / B.T. and the U.N. Previously tutored ICT / History and Arithmetic to GCSE level and A+. For 5 years 2 and 3 respectively. Widely-travelled , worked and lived and 6 different countries.
Education Support Officer : Derby College : May 2019
• Tutor, specifically English and Maths to 25+ students; also other subjects in a variety of other practical skills
• Prepared my students/ all who have Special Needs toward successful GCSE Exams, many with English as a 2nd Language
• Designing support and intervention and tutoring programmes, for up to 100 Special Educational Needs students
• Bi-monthly collaboration with teaching teams, interviewing, screening and quantifying potential students’ support needs. Working closely with other curriculum staff in identifying where in a students’ study programme, support would be most beneficial
• Working with all students, providing support as identified in their assessments, focusing on specially supported students
Education Officer - Special Educational Needs (S.E.N.): Eastwood Grange School: Priory
• 1-2-1 Teaching and S.E.N. tutor for 14/15 yr olds preparing for GCSE’s: Maths, English, I.T., Science, History
• My Students have Special Needs but still achieved improved successful Exam passes. Using the R.A.G. method of Project Management tracking and review of support for designated students from entry to exit
• Delivery of learning in Education and personal development for disengaged, vulnerable and marginalized 30+ young students
• Establishing a good relationship with pupils by using different pedagogy/ language and other communication skills that the pupils can understand and relate to. Preparing inclusion education support and curriculum in the day-2-day needs of pupils in care. Demonstrated through workshops how education positively influences their lives and the lives of their families, friends and communities
GITTS Service Desk Supervisor UNMIL/UNMEER : Liberia June 2014- June 2017
• Established a team of I.T. Support to 24/7 Technical and Business Support to whole mission, inclusive of over 10,000 clients/colleagues Which involved 1st/2nd/3rd line technical support capabilities to all 15 sectors
• Delivering training sessions to my 1st Level staff: from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds. Providing on-going up-skilling and cross-training across Service Desk support and support procedures
• On a single 1 Dedicated single ICT Network, inter-connecting 11 U.N. Agencies across Liberia
• Involving both day-to-day technical support and long term resolutions in either Application Support or Systems Administration.
• As part of a small team we projected data transfer and migration from IBM Lotus Domino/ Notes to Microsoft Exchange/Outlook which benefitted the whole mission.
• Training and tutoring 20+ multi-cultural staff, both national and international on all facets of Service Desk management, whilst creating monthly x2 S.L.A. and formal training schemes
• Provided fully functional mission-imperative support whilst focusing on 5 I.T. communication issues : email-access/mobile-phone/microwave/ face2face/geo-mapping
• Monitoring GITTS service technology and advanced network troubleshooting. Categorize and assign Technical Support tickets to Service Reporting and managing requirements through Solidus and Umoja systems
• Formulated the formally agreed and published SOP involving the current Service Level Agreement and Service Level Targets
• Accurately representing the ITIL Service Life Cycle of Service Maintained a level of proficient and professionalism throughout my time at UNMIL Increasing positive client feedback
• I’ve left a track record of taking ownership and ‘getting things done’ - too many to list
• One specific achievement was up-skilling national staff to gain international roles and generic achievement – training many under-believers and turning them into ‘advocates’
United Nations Volunteer Officer (UNV)2013-2017 – UNMIL
• Working under the U.N.V. Field Office under the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL).Providing solid advocacy relations between UNMIL/Liberians and capacity development aid.
• UNV Outreach assistance and communications vis-a-vis University of Liberia and UNMIL Attending and occasional teaching in local Liberian schools
• Successfully raised over $1000 for the UNV Community Outreach Activity funded to The Blind School by running the Liberia 2016 10k Marathon Run.
• Instrumental in providing solid advocacy relations between UNMIL/Liberians and capacity development. Actively participated in liaising with U.N.V. team to develop UNV /Self- funded training projects and programmes for vulnerable local organizations. organized by the City of Monrovia. Also effectively provided support in creating sustainable links and projects between UNMIL and Liberian School for the Blind and Deaf. Actively participated in promoting UNV Buddy Scheme for new UN volunteers into Western Africa
• Actively volunteered in attending UNV Community Outreach Activities, redecorating war-torn buildings/ decrepit inner-city schools whilst providing occasional teaching in local Liberian schools. Played a significant role as the UNMIL Radio Presenter of UN Volunteers and also the Co-producer and Judge of UN-Idol
United Nations UNMIL Aug 2013- June 2014 : Application Support Engineer
• Provided 2nd level on-site on-call consulting advice and technical support to over 15,000 users regarding all application support across the mission
• Capacity Development coaching and training for over 100 national and (non-) governmental staff . Operational support and maintenance of Lotus Domino Servers, Lotus Notes System and e-mail
WEB mail services across 2 service bases including MS Outlook and Exchange administration, de-bug new and upgrade Server and Client software platforms in line with agency S.O.P.’s. Administer multiple servers, workstations and terminals, ensuring proper integration of these components with existing computer systems.
• Maintaining and providing various training and Standard Operating Procedures for users on the use of operating systems
Information Technology Part Time Teacher
• Derby College (Sat Mornings and evenings) 05-08
- Level 3 C+G Advanced Diploma in I.T. to Adults
• Preparing curriculum for post-education youth and adults
• Developing teaching work-plan
• Ranging from simple Peer-Peer to use of A.D. and VPNs
• ECDL – Advanced use of all Microsoft Modules
| TEFL Graduate
| Disease Outbreak in /Low Countries
| NCFE Level 2 Caring for Children and Young People
| Masters Degree (M.A. Conflict Studies)
| Teaching Qualification 7302 C&G Derby College
| TEFL Certificate
2003 | Combined Studies Degree (B.A. International Law/American Studies/I.T.)
Professional I.T. Qualifications
M.C.P. Microsoft Certified Professional
| A+ Software and Hardware Comptia
| Cisco – Securing Cisco Network Devices Cisco
| Network Essentials (70-210)
Nigel is a very dedicated teacher who is committed to the success of his students. He has a great deal of patience, is caring and has a kind personality. He is able to build trusting relationships with his students which creates a safe and positive environment. His ability to engage and motivate students is second to none.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£8|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£40|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£80|