As a passionate tutor, I'm interested in thinking about the various ways that students learn, and in considering how my work can meet different needs. With this in mind, I undertook a two-year Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, which I completed in 2018. This qualification means I am recognised as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I want all students to fulfil their maximum potential and to exceed their own expectations. I do this by taking time to find out how individual students work best, understanding what interests and inspires them, and preparing tutorials that will not only facilitate their active participation but also encourage them to read and research beyond the immediate requirements of their curriculum. Having completed my PG Cert, I have an acute sensitivity to the needs and requirements of individual learners and I enjoy adapting my tutorials in order to ensure that every student can thrive.
I'm a friendly and experienced tutor and lecturer, with specialisms in English, philosophy, art history, religious studies, and the humanities more generally.
I recently completed my PhD in the Department of English and Comparative Literature at Goldsmiths, University of London, where I have taught undergraduate students for four years in English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy and Political Theory. My academic background is quite varied, and I aim to bring my range of experience to my work as a tutor. In 2011, I graduated with a First Class Honours degree in English Literature from the University of Glasgow, where I won the prize for the year's most distinguished graduate in English Literature. I then won an Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) scholarship to pursue my interests in philosophy and art theory at the Centre for Modern European Philosophy, Kingston University. There, I achieved an MA with Distinction and won the prize for outstanding achievement on the Aesthetics and Art Theory MA pathway. I then won a scholarship from CHASE (the Consortium for the Humanities and the Arts South-East England), to pursue my PhD research at Goldsmiths, University of London, on the history and philosophy of literary and art criticism.
Cancellations on the day of the lesson: 50% charge
- June 2019: PhD in Comparative Literature (Goldsmiths, University of London)
- November 2018: Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (Goldsmiths, University of London)
- October 2012: MA (Distinction) in Philosophy: Aesthetics and Art Theory (Kingston University)
- June 2011: MA (First Class Honours) in English Literature (University of Glasgow)
Academic Prizes and Funding Awards
- Arts and Humanities Research Council: CHASE (Consortium for the Humanities and the Arts South-East England) Doctoral Studentship, 2015-18
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Professional Preparation Masters Award, 2011-12
- Winner of the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy's Prize in Aesthetics and Art Theory (outstanding achievement), Kingston University, 2012
- Winner of the Bradley Medal for the University’s most distinguished graduate of English Literature, University of Glasgow, 2011
Undergraduate Teaching (Goldsmiths, University of London)
- 2017-20: Associate Lecturer, Aesthetics (English and Comparative Literature)
- 2015-17: Graduate Trainee Tutor, Aesthetics (Centre for Cultural Studies)
- 2015-16: Graduate Trainee Tutor, Knowledge and Subjectivity (Politics, Philosophy and Economics)
Training and Tutoring
- March 2019: PhD Tutor training with The Brilliant Club, a non-profit organisation that seeks to widen access to universities for students from underrepresented groups
- Since 2017: Private tutoring in English and Philosophy across London
- German: strong reading, speaking and listening ability
- French: intermediate reading ability
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking dissertation and thesis preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|