I am currently a final year student at the University of Leeds studying geography and geology. I studied geography at GCSE and A-Level receiving an A* at both levels. I am open to teaching geography from the age of 14-18. In addition to geography I am also capable of teaching maths, English, biology, chemistry and physics to GCSE standard having studied the majority of these to A-Level.
I start with an introduction to the subject material being covered before launching into the main material. One of the best ways I have found to prepare for exams is to practice past papers and review the material learnt at the end of each session. Whilst completing exam questions may not seem fun, by the time you enter the exam room you'll be so prepared and used to doing the questions it will be a breeze.
I currently work as a tutor for the Tutor Trust charity in Leeds. I have worked for the charity for the last 6 months tutoring primary school aged 9-11 in maths and English. Previous to this I volunteered in GCSE biology and geography lessons at my local high school whilst studying for my A-Levels.
I currently teach on a 1:3 ratio but have taught larger groups and 1:1 also. Some of the students I have tutored have achieved high grades in their GCSE's from B grades to A* grades, and the students I am currently tutoring are soon to take their SATs - I am hoping for some promising results.
University of Leeds: 2014 – Present
BSc Geography and Geology – predicted 2:1
Modules including: Data Analysis Skills; Research Project and Statistical Skills; Study Skills and Advanced Mapwork; Environment, Conflict and Policy; Living Within Limits; Dissertation; Fieldwork for Geog/Geol
Downham Market Sixth Form: 2012 -2014
A-Levels: Biology (A), Chemistry (B), Geography (A*), Mathematics (B)
AS-Levels: Physics (B)
Downham Market High School: 2007 – 2012
GCSEs: 11 A*, 1 A, including English Language and Literature (A*, A*), ICT (A*), Mathematics (A*) and Triple Science (A*, A*, A*)
Jan 2017 – Present: The Tutor Trust, Leeds – Primary School Tutor
As a tutor I teach primary school Maths and English and I am currently participating in the education endowment fund (EEF) set up by the Universities of York and Durham to improve Maths SATs grades for year 6 students.
Jun 2014 – Present: Rathskeller Wine Bar, Bistro and Cafe, King’s Lynn – Waitress/Bartender/Café Manager:
During summer 2015 I managed the café where I led the team, maintained stock, banked and ensured staff welfare. I am also a trained cocktail waitress.
Sep 2016- Oct 2016: Joblink, Leeds - Fresher’s Intake Runner, Careers Fair Helper
Jul 2016 – Sep 2016: NHS Digital – Programme and Project Management – Intern:
As a summer intern I supported the development of a programme designed to improve the digital capability of the NHS workforce in readiness for the government’s aim of a paperless NHS by 2020.
Jun 2016 – Sep 2016: Parklane Properties, Leeds – Property Inspector and Office Administrator:
As a property inspector I reported on the cleanliness of recently vacated properties, carried out inventory checks and ensured property documentation was up to date.
Aug 2012 – Sep 2014: Reeds Homestore, Downham Market – Sales Assistant
Oct 2012 - Feb 2013: Hospital Work Experience – Two separate weeks of work experience:
Shadowed various types of hospital staff, giving me an insight into how leadership, teamwork and communication are key to the successful completion of tasks and the welfare of patients.
SKILLS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
• I am currently the president of Leeds University Union (LUU) Modern Dance Society
and I work closely with a team of ten to create and run events and coordinate
• I regularly work in group projects as part of my degree. I am excellent at motivating
team members, ensuring that the work is completed on time. All team projects have
achieved high grades.
• I worked successfully in teams throughout higher and further education, including a
role on our sixth form student executive and successful completion of the Gold
Duke of Edinburgh award.
• I have worked well as part of a team in all my job roles, using my communication
skills and willingness to collaborate to help teams work more effectively.
Organisation and Time Management
• I always manage my time well, which is evident in my balance of active participation
in university life, studies, part time work, and social life, whilst continuing to
achieve good grades.
• Alongside my studies, I organised a national dance competition that took place in
March 2017 and free after-school dance sessions for local primary schools and with
my ability to prioritise I never miss a deadline.
• During my internship at NHS Digital I was part of the team that ensured that the
research, communication and organisation of NHS Expo 2016 in Manchester were
delivered on time for the September 2016 deadline.
• Being the lead committee member for the LUU Modern Dance Society gives me
valuable experience in team dynamics, decision making, and leading a team by
• During summer 2015 I managed a town centre café, leading a team and motivating
them to meet or exceed the required standards at all times.
• In group projects at university, I am often appointed team leader as I communicate
well with everyone. I listen to everyone’s opinions, but I am responsible for making
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• My diverse employment history has improved my communication skills through
customer interaction and the use of social media and networking tools. It has also
given me confidence when dealing with difficult issues.
• Becoming president of the LUU Modern Dance Society this year has encouraged me
to develop good relationships with members, the committee, university staff, and
external stakeholders in order to perform at a high standard in the role.
• I can confidently use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Office and Excel. During my
summer internship I received training in the use of WebEx which I have used
successfully to organise and support meetings.
• Geological fieldwork involves independent work where initiative is needed to
develop testable hypothesis and follow through with the required research.
• I have a flexible and adaptable approach in all I undertake, and I often go above and
beyond what is required, such as in my role as President and the planning of extra
events for the society.
INTERESTS & ACHIEVEMENTS
• I am the president and former treasurer of LUU Modern Dance Society - I lead the
society, work within a budget, arrange social events and hire professional teachers.
I organised and ran a national dance competition in March 2017.
• I am part of LUU Women’s Hockey Team – this involves teamwork and many charity
fundraising events for SUDEP.
• I completed the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Scheme in October 2014.
• At sixth form I was an elected student executive where I negotiated issues with
staff members to reach compromise solutions and I organised events and activities
for both the sixth form and earlier years.
• I like to travel and have visited a range of different places with varying cultures.
• Full UK driving license (clean)
Available upon request.
geography lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£10||£10|